Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I'm afraid that having 2 children under 2 years old limits my ability to read 52 pages worth of posts on a forum. I'm sure it's full of well thought out, considered opinion.

In the spare moment I have to engage with fellow citizens I thought I'd share my position, and indeed potentially reach some people who may well not know how the system works.

If indeed you'd taken the time to actually understand my posts, you may well have realised that this election is absolutely about one thing; independence. It is absolutely not about one thing; how an independent Scotland will be governed. I'll continue to vote for the SNP where it matters; to deliver independence.

Fair enough post. I'd maybe edit the last sentence of the first paragraph a bit though. Or even just delete it👍 

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Fair enough post. I'd maybe edit the last sentence of the first paragraph a bit though. Or even just delete it👍 

Edit: Sorry, I misread that.

I'm not sure what you mean?

Edit2: Having re-read it, I think the last paragraph comes across as unnecissarily antagonistic. I agree, and as such I wil edit it.

Edited by Illgresi

12 hours ago, 101 said:

Alba now pushed Lib Dems into 6th biggest political party by membership.

Doesn't really mean anything, does it? Labour had record membership under Corbyn and that Did Not Go Well. It's Yes Windows stuff.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

"Scotland needs to be gallus for what comes next. ALBA is here to bring that confidence."

Terrific stuff. I opened the "Women and Equalities" section as well and all the neighbour's dogs started barking for some reason.

👏👏👏

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

To fully flesh out my opposition to a neo-marxist hellhole:

I believe that an independent Scotland should be a socially just country, that is led by science and rational thought. Not one led by reactionary, populist opinion.

The bit I'm really not getting is the idea that the SNP are within a million miles of reactionary neo-Marxists. I think you'd have to be pretty far right to take than view.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The bit I'm really not getting is the idea that the SNP are within a million miles of reactionary neo-Marxists. I think you'd have to be pretty far right to take than view.

I'd consider myself more a centrist, at least economically on a global scale. On a Scottish scale I might well be to the slight right of the centre. I'm a social democrat at heart. The desire for financial equality must be tempered by realism, and our national position in a global, capitalist economy. Our desire for social equality must never be tempered, and requires no realism.

27 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I'd consider myself more a centrist, at least economically on a global scale. On a Scottish scale I might well be to the slight right of the centre. I'm a social democrat at heart. The desire for financial equality must be tempered by realism, and our national position in a global, capitalist economy. Our desire for social equality must never be tempered, and requires no realism.

So you genuinely regard a party with Fergus Ewing and John Swinney in its cabinet as neo-Marxist? That they want non-violent class warfare and the victory of the proletariat over the bourgeoisie? They want the workers to own the means of production?

Ok.

Do you think people on the left regard the SNP as neo-Marxist?

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

So you genuinely regard a party with Fergus Ewing and John Swinney in its cabinet as neo-Marxist? That they want non-violent class warfare and the victory of the proletariat over the bourgeoisie? They want the workers to own the means of production?

Ok.

Do you think people on the left regard the SNP as neo-Marxist?

I believe you're confusing Marxist, with Neo-Marxist.

Also, as I stated above, I'm happy to have my opinion changed by considered, thoughtful discourse. You have not changed my opinion.

5 hours ago, Illgresi said:

In my (admittedly I'm an engineer, not an economist) understanding, neo-marxism fundamentally describes the prevention of big business from generating surplus capital such that it can have an influence over the state. Indeed, preventing this growth in power of big business serves to fundamentally strengthen the state itself.

While I would vehemently support the SNPs (and every other right minded person's) protectionist look on the NHS, I think there are numerous examples of the SNP (specifically post Salmond), displaying these kinds of tendencies. I'm not going to list everything, but prime examples of this would be GMO crops, and onshore fracking. Both of these examples are admittedly tentative subjects, however both have been whitewashed by the SNP.

The reasons for carte blanche denying such potentially massive industries may well be genuine (but I suspect they are not), but neither are they founded in science.

Having said all that, I consider myself a scientist (given my profession), and I am absolutely open to people's opinions changing my own. So fire away.

Edit:

I believe that an independent Scotland should be a socially just country, that is led by science and rational thought. Not one led by reactionary, populist opinion.

I would agree with you about GMO crops certainly. But being against GMO crops and onshore fracking turns Scotland into a "neo-Marxist hellhole" seems a big leap for a man of science to be making imo. Also I know it's one guy but suggesting Alba are the party to turn to for rational scientific thought when Neale Hanvey has revealed himself to be a believer in astral projection seems a bit odd. Each to their own though I guess 

What is it Alba or it's members/supporters have done in the c.1 month of their existence that suggests they're the guys to go to for building a socially just country? 

6 hours ago, Illgresi said:

I'm afraid that having 2 children under 2 years old limits my ability to read 52 pages worth of posts on a forum.

a guy at my work trots out something similar on an almost weekly basis. I keep meaning to offer my commiserations on how life has dealt him such an unfair hand at this time - at least I have the opportunity to extend to you. 

7 hours ago, wirez said:

I know it, you know it, anybody that has looked at, and has a vague inkling of the D'Hondt voting system, knows it.

Folk should stop treating their political votes like it is their support for a fitba team. It is pathetic.

In south Scotland #BothVotesSNP makes sense. Elsewhere? A complete waste.

Are you sure?

7 hours ago, Illgresi said:

In my (admittedly I'm an engineer, not an economist) understanding, neo-marxism fundamentally describes the prevention of big business from generating surplus capital such that it can have an influence over the state. Indeed, preventing this growth in power of big business serves to fundamentally strengthen the state itself.

While I would vehemently support the SNPs (and every other right minded person's) protectionist look on the NHS, I think there are numerous examples of the SNP (specifically post Salmond), displaying these kinds of tendencies. I'm not going to list everything, but prime examples of this would be GMO crops, and onshore fracking. Both of these examples are admittedly tentative subjects, however both have been whitewashed by the SNP.

The reasons for carte blanche denying such potentially massive industries may well be genuine (but I suspect they are not), but neither are they founded in science.

Having said all that, I consider myself a scientist (given my profession), and I am absolutely open to people's opinions changing my own. So fire away.

Edit:

Suspect you might be in the wrong party.

36 minutes ago, sophia said:

Are you sure?

Pretty sure that there are only two regions in Scotland where the SNP are likely to pick up a list seat, South Scotland is one of them.

That’s why in most regions people should vote SNP/Green.

The SNP are socially liberal and economically centre right - they are anything but Marxist.