Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Cairn Terrier said:
43 minutes ago, ayrmad said:
I'll be waiting,not even convinced I can hold my nose. 

You probably couldn't find your arse with both hands.

You'll be able to lick your arse easily. 

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Stop being a shitebag and take a stand.

Can we do the things that Pandy can see both sides of again?

The Khmer Rouge may have slaughtered millions, but they made some good points about the arrogance of the educated liberal elites.

13 hours ago, tirso said:

we need to go through the motions to the nth degree before adopting the last resort, I agree.  Wargaming this, the only possible option if everything fails would be to declare UDI upon certain specific requisites.  I'm not saying that's where I think it'll end up.  Scotland is a slightly different case to other nations seeking independence and the UK people do consider democracy a value. 

we'd probably need to create a Yes party to stand in a Westminster election or a Holyrood election.  Probably Westminster actually given the public attention it would generate and state UDI will happen on a specific date X if more than 60%(?) vote in favour.  It would really be last resort and would have to be supported by an obvious majority.  There would have to be some civil disobedience as well if it still not agreed.    Really not a place we want to be.  if we're getting to that stage with the type of stated support, the fault clearly lies with those denying democracy.

I happen to think there's every chance Independence will become the preferred will of over 60% of people and at that point the UK would cave.

There is no number of MSPs, MPs or vote share that will make anyone in the world more likely to recognise a Scottish UDI in the foreseeable future.

And you think any national government would say to the UK government, "well, we weren't going to recognise Scottish independence, but now that some of them are refusing to pay their council tax and defacing five pound notes we've had to reconsider"?

It couldn't matter less what the UK population generally feels. All that matter is how does whichever Tory they make prime minister see things. David Cameron wasn't given the credit he deserved for accepting the 2011 Scottish election result and handing full control of a referendum to a Scottish Parliament with an SNP majority. But Boris Johnson is no David Cameron and England is already a different place 10 years down the line. He needs 40% of the electorate to stick with him, and that 40% couldn't give a flying fk about Scottish democracy. Even if some say they do in polls, they're sure as hell not going to vote for another party over it. And even if they were, do you really think Starmer will support it either?

Lot of mention of the poll showing Alex Salmond is more unpopular than Boris Johnson in Scotland, which takes some doing.

But the bit that really stood out for me is that Salmond is viewed more favourably by Tory voters than by SNP voters. That's absolutely extraordinary.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/dcjaubjhpv/TimesResults_Scotland_210308_FULL_W.pdf 

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 06.17.03.png

Lot of mention of the poll showing Alex Salmond is more unpopular than Boris Johnson in Scotland, which takes some doing.
But the bit that really stood out for me is that Salmond is viewed more favourably by Tory voters than by SNP voters. That's absolutely extraordinary.
1349387259_Screenshot2021-04-01at06_17_03.thumb.png.571d540a3609fbdd9e41efe2f06735a9.png
Not really - they get their news from the Daily Heil, The Express etc - who have clearly put their own warped twist on the whole affair.

They've indulged in doublethink - years of "Salmond is a liar" wiped out by "Salmond is a bastion of truth".

As well as the issue of their confirmation bias they see everything in stark black and white terms - when it is clearly shades of grey.

I made the point that Sturgeon and Salmond could both be telling the truth but that they had a different perception of events - the report itself used the word "impression" - a word filled with ambiguity.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I suspect Salmond's popularity with Tory voters waned after the Hamilton report fucked over their grubby wee fantasies about getting rid of "THAT WOMAN". Now that Salmond is wanting back into Holyrood in a new Pro-Indy party I assume he will be back to being about as welcome as a shite in a country club swimming pool. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

David Cameron wasn't given the credit he deserved for accepting the 2011 Scottish election result and handing full control of a referendum to a Scottish Parliament with an SNP majority. 

Probably only because he thought about 30% max would vote for independence. 

I suspect Salmond's popularity with Tory voters waned after the Hamilton report fucked over their grubby wee fantasies about getting rid of "THAT WOMAN". Now that Salmond is wanting back into Holyrood in a new Pro-Indy party I assume he will be back to being about as welcome as a shite in a country club swimming pool. 
Doublethink in action.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

There is no number of MSPs, MPs or vote share that will make anyone in the world more likely to recognise a Scottish UDI in the foreseeable future.

And you think any national government would say to the UK government, "well, we weren't going to recognise Scottish independence, but now that some of them are refusing to pay their council tax and defacing five pound notes we've had to reconsider"?

It couldn't matter less what the UK population generally feels. All that matter is how does whichever Tory they make prime minister see things. David Cameron wasn't given the credit he deserved for accepting the 2011 Scottish election result and handing full control of a referendum to a Scottish Parliament with an SNP majority. But Boris Johnson is no David Cameron and England is already a different place 10 years down the line. He needs 40% of the electorate to stick with him, and that 40% couldn't give a flying fk about Scottish democracy. Even if some say they do in polls, they're sure as hell not going to vote for another party over it. And even if they were, do you really think Starmer will support it either?

Much of this may turn out to be accurate in terms of tory government behaviour but unless cereal eating is the response, there needs to be more if there's going to be a blatant denial of democracy. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see a campaign of civil disobedience kicking in. 

7 minutes ago, HTG said:

Much of this may turn out to be accurate in terms of tory government behaviour but unless cereal eating is the response, there needs to be more if there's going to be a blatant denial of democracy. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see a campaign of civil disobedience kicking in. 

You starting it? 

14 minutes ago, HTG said:

I can just imagine trashed bedrooms all over P&B land. 

54 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

You starting it? 

I'm no Rosa Parks but hopefully we'll all get to sit where we want on the Scotland bus. 

46 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I can just imagine trashed bedrooms all over P&B land. 

I doubt we'd be able to tell the difference in a significant number of bedrooms. 

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'm no Rosa Parks but hopefully we'll all get to sit where we want on the Scotland bus. 

I doubt we'd be able to tell the difference in a significant number of bedrooms. 

You're probably right. 

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's totally understandable why the tories are favouring Salmond, as they think he is undermining Nicola's very popular position in Scotland, the thought throws them into orgasmic delight, when in fact he could well be "nipping" at their votes in the North east, a lot of tory voters are a bit on the thick side as exemplified by Douglas Ross the other night.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Probably only because he thought about 30% max would vote for independence. 

I'm sure he thought he'd win but it was always a gamble - one that he lost with Brexit. And he handed over control of the timing, the question and the franchise, all massive factors in the potential outcome. They'd have won a lot more comfortably if they'd insisted on the Westminster franchise, for instance, which excludes under 18s and foreign nationals.

23 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

It's totally understandable why the tories are favouring Salmond, as they think he is undermining Nicola's very popular position in Scotland, the thought throws them into orgasmic delight, when in fact he could well be "nipping" at their votes in the North east, a lot of tory voters are a bit on the thick side as exemplified by Douglas Ross the other night.

I understand why they're choosing to believe his version against Sturgeon's, but going so far as to rate him more favourably generally than SNP voters do... that's bizarre.