Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No.

As someone who is instinctively a Federalist I spoiled my ballot in 2014.

I did not take either side.

The EU referendum and the removal of powers from the Scottish Parliament meant it was a natural progression to support independence.

The other option - supporting the one party that supposedly supports federalism - the Lib Dems - was never on given their history of cosying up to the Tories throwing their principles out the window for a few crumbs of power.

I'd class myself as that too, or a devo maxist.

During the indy campaign of 2014 it became apparent to me that neither of these were options in the real world UK. This was confirmed when all Gogsy Broons' "promises" were drop kicked out the park by David Cameron on the morning of the 19th September.

Right now I'm SNP 1/2. My List vote is a soft vote at the moment so I'll wait and see nearer the time.

Decimating the Unionist vote does sound very appealing to me. Also, I wonder how the UK Gov would react to that?

A parliament of SNP, Greens, Alba with a handful of Unionists made up of Tories, Labour and Lib-dems would be extremely funny 

The Alba Party is nothing but a vanity project for has-been egotists, political whores and creeps.

Voting for any party that brings such an assortment of, erm, "characters" together as Salmond, Sheridan, McAskill and Alex Arthur is unlikely to be a good idea.

Edited by Richey Edwards

13 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Big fan of Alba championing themselves as a left wing alternative to the SNP. Just a hunch but I'm sure there's already a pro-indy party at Holyrood which is to the left of the SNP.

Posted this earlier

FB_IMG_1617098496932.jpg

Surely the toxic members of the SNP defecting to Salmond’s party can only be a good thing in the long run for the SNP? Get rid of the absolute weirdos and palm them off to political obscurity whilst keeping the good c***s?

3 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

A Tory prime minister schooled at Eton, and about as popular as a fart in a lift having taken us out of the EU up here, refusing the Scottish people a referendum is exactly what the indy campaign needs to bolster its ranks. If we had the balls we could unilaterally declare independence! What would he do, send the army in?

It's stuff like this that could kill the momentum of the independence movement and put support back down to below 40%, where it was until pretty recently.

Nobody would recognise Scottish UDI, not even our own courts. Johnson wouldn't need to send an army in because nothing would change, he would just sit back and laugh at us while we tear ourselves apart.

Yes, Johnson refusing a referendum would likely increase support for independence. That doesn't mean the new supporters would back radical methods to achieve it.

7 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I've no idea what is a viable route but I'd rather see an Alba style attempt over doing nothing as that's going nowhere, I'll continue to carp against Sturgeon as I'm not her biggest fan, an awful lot of supporters have shown a similar disdain in recent years given the 30/40k drop in membership before the recent uptick. 

What makes you think those who left are inclined to support the Alba approach? From what I've seen those leaving have mostly been going Green because they've been put off the SNP by the very people who are now defecting to Alba.

All they need is Cherry and Joan McAlpine to go and they'll be in great shape.

1 minute ago, picklish said:

But what's the end game with that, if a section 30 is never granted?

Why does there have to be an end game? The reality is, there isn't one. It's tough shit.

Max Weber said, "Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards."

If the Scottish Government can't get a s.30 Order and can't get a referendum act through the Supreme Court then the independence movement is back where it was before devolution, making the arguments to the people of Scotland, building up support and waiting for better political weather. Anything more radical will just push support away, as has happened in Catalonia. 

10 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Used to get away with that on here with only a few dissenting voices. 

If we could see all the insults getting thrown at women from within the SNP we'd have nobody to vote for. 

Big claim. Sounds like whataboutery to me, only without any examples.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Why does there have to be an end game? The reality is, there isn't one. It's tough shit.

Max Weber said, "Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards."

If the Scottish Government can't get a s.30 Order and can't get a referendum act through the Supreme Court then the independence movement is back where it was before devolution, making the arguments to the people of Scotland, building up support and waiting for better political weather. Anything more radical will just push support away, as has happened in Catalonia. 

Seems a bit defeatist, to (for example) get indy support polling over 60% following a bojo referendum refusal and demographic changes, and the political class just shrug and go "ah well, they say we cannae so that's that". Seems almost like a gravy train.

I vote SNP to get independence. I think they do a more than decent job as a government, but if they are going to claim to be the voice of indy, then they need to move towards it, not just shore up the vote. Ultimately it'll end like Labour post-Dewar for them, if that's how they continue.

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Anything more radical will just push support away, as has happened in Catalonia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Catalan_independence#Centre_for_Opinion_Studies

Since 2014, it's been broadly similar to Scottish polling, with periods of Yes ahead and periods of No ahead, largely split in a too-close-to-call way. Maybe there's been more polls since 2019, couldn't see them with a quick search

5 minutes ago, picklish said:

Seems a bit defeatist, to (for example) get indy support polling over 60% following a bojo referendum refusal and demographic changes, and the political class just shrug and go "ah well, they say we cannae so that's that". Seems almost like a gravy train.

I vote SNP to get independence. I think they do a more than decent job as a government, but if they are going to claim to be the voice of indy, then they need to move towards it, not just shore up the vote. Ultimately it'll end like Labour post-Dewar for them, if that's how they continue.

You can't always change reality just because you really, really, really want to. Wanting it isn't enough. And you need to realise that places like this board are an absolute echo chamber. Support for things like civil disobedience is very low and opposition would be very high.

Besides, what do you do when it doesn't work? The Scottish Parliament votes for UDI and nobody recognises it. Then what? Terrorism? Scream and scream until we make ourselves sick?

1 minute ago, picklish said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Catalan_independence#Centre_for_Opinion_Studies

Since 2014, it's been broadly similar to Scottish polling, with periods of Yes ahead and periods of No ahead, largely split in a too-close-to-call way. Maybe there's been more polls since 2019, couldn't see them with a quick search

Those are surveys undertaken by a department of the Catalan government. Those taken by pollsters show support has slipped back a good chunk since the polis started cracking heads.

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 18.16.44.png