Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder what all these very disgruntled and disaffected SNP defectors would have done if Salmond had not launched another political party six weeks before the Holyrood elections.

Presumably they would have gone out and campaigned for a party they are now claiming to be totally disillusioned with.

15 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The founder Craig Berry has also defected.

IMG_20210330_132152.thumb.jpg.fc8d90ea8f24c8a8d8e656e111ad3e8c.jpgIMG_20210330_132153.thumb.jpg.d4051e9990f77a693fe72cc759252835.jpgIMG_20210330_132155.thumb.jpg.32cf279b9fa2e2faba98813063430f92.jpgIMG_20210330_132157.thumb.jpg.dc110c32f51513e622e3bbf8044e62a9.jpg

Aye, 'cos defecting to a party led by a guy was an oil economist, who was a cheerleader for banking generally and who's big currency gambit for the IndyRef was keeping Pound Sterling makes a whole tonne of sense.

The idea that Alex Salmond is suddenly some left wing firebrand is quite amazing.

8 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aiming for a populist, flag shagging, economically left, but socially conservative look imo, like the BNP and Front National, but less extreme.

Flag sleepy cuddles, surely.

11 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, 'cos defecting to a party led by a guy was an oil economist, who was a cheerleader for banking generally and who's big currency gambit for the IndyRef was keeping Pound Sterling makes a whole tonne of sense.

The idea that Alex Salmond is suddenly some left wing firebrand is quite amazing.

Wolfie Salmond or Citizen Salmond, which sounds better?

Younger posters might not get this.

14 minutes ago, renton said:

David?

Edited by NotThePars

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The Greens weren’t set up with the express intention of gaming the system.

I think the whole super-majority thing is a complete red herring anyway. Firstly, you don’t need a supermajority, a majority of one for indy is enough of a mandate. And secondly, it won’t matter - Johnson isn’t going to grant a referendum just because Salmond has rocked up. This is all about getting Salmond into Holyrood, and nothing else.

A Tory prime minister schooled at Eton, and about as popular as a fart in a lift having taken us out of the EU up here, refusing the Scottish people a referendum is exactly what the indy campaign needs to bolster its ranks. If we had the balls we could unilaterally declare independence! What would he do, send the army in?

Imagine the two scenarios below.

1. The SNP and Greens between them make a majority in the new parliament. Together they work out the best course through parliament of getting the referendum legislation in place, start getting the wider Yes movement together, and push for a professional, civic and popular campaign.

2. The SNP and Greens make a minority in the new parliament and Alba, which has taken votes from both, allows them the votes to get the majority. 

In scenario 2, does anyone believe that Alba will go with the SNP and Greens? Or will it be about jumping up and down, making a lot of noise for an immediate referendum. The new Yes movement will be the next football for the Alex Salmond project. 

In short, if you want a referendum and want it to succeed, I would suggest an SNP/Green vote. Note: this is not my own voting intention as I haven't decided if I will or not. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

I'm laughing at the fact you're now going to have to start delaying your dopamine dots otherwise it'll get screenshotted, it may be hard for you like someone giving up cigarettes but I'm sure you'll make it in the end. You're probably moments away from a burner account. 

I think you maybe need to take a break from here. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

2nd time this question has been asked, once of another poster ( @pandarilla) : tumbleweeds.

What would you have done differently and how would that have gone?

He will be along to link to a good faith Spiked article in no time. 

there are a few pitfalls to say the least but there is one circumstance which could leave the unionists floundering for a line.

A majority of voters choose SNP, Green and Alba with their votes AND a super majority of seats is achieved.

As ever it's upto the people of Scotland.   

2 minutes ago, JMDP said:

I think you maybe need to take a break from here. 

He will be along to link to a good faith Spiked article in no time. 

I think you need to stop spending so much energy on me, it can't be healthy and I know it'll be hard for you at first but you've just got to kick the habit. Find better ways to cheer yourself up. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Yep, the guy that wrote an arse-licking letter to Fred Goodwin during his time as RBS chief offering all assistance really is a tribune of the left wing masses. The guy that used to make bellowing speeches about the "Celtic Tiger" just before the Republic of Ireland's unsustainable property boom crashed. The same Alex Salmond who used Tory best friends to hide behind parliamentary privelige whilst "revealing" redacted details of the case in the House of Commons. The same Alex Salmond whose proxies have been feeding the Buckhaven Baroness and her cronies attack lines in the Scottish parliament for months.

The party has been founded with the sole aim of getting Alex Salmond back into parliament, and there to act as a massive irritant to an SNP government. The Alba Party has managed to unify the fringe loons of the ISP and AFI 72 hours after its formation, but I doubt will make many inroads beyond Salmond himself being elected on the North East list

Without Alex Salmond's ego and unquenchable thirst for revenge, you have no Alba Party. If Nicola Sturgeon had been obliged to resign last week, you'd have no Alba Party. He was also quite ready to burn independence to the ground just so he could have his day beaming smugly in the media over Sturgeon's political corpse.

He's been smart enough the leave the group as a blank canvas though where puffed up groups of half a dozen pamphleteers can get behind them with their hobbyhorse vision of whatever Scotland's future is to them, and noisily announce it on twitter, feeling vindicated by making to page 8 of the next days' copy of The National. How they expect any of their fine words to be translated into action anytime soon is beyond me. I think they may collide with the electorate in early May and realise that twitter is a very poor substitute indeed for reality.

The whole thing is a depressing farce. I certainly won't be voting for them.

7 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The party has been founded with the sole aim of getting Alex Salmond back into parliament, and there to act as a massive irritant to an SNP government. The Alba Party has managed to unify the fringe loons of the ISP and AFI 72 hours after its formation, but I doubt will make many inroads beyond Salmond himself being elected on the North East list

In this scenario, which party leader do you think will be regularly invited on to BBC Question Time to discuss the future for Scotland?

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Scenes ? Wholly predictable more like. Alba is beginning to look like a Hoover for the SNP. Sucking all the fringe elements and tarnished goods into a one big holding pen seems like nothing but a positive to me.

Who next, Derek McKay, Sillars ???

What has Sillars done wrong, OK he's a dinosaur whose politics are stuck in the 70s and likes 20 minute drum solos - but neither of these are criminal offences.

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Getting 80 or 90 MSPs to try and highlight the absurdity of Westminster deciding what is or isn't good for us. 

I'm glad you've mentioned the absurdity of westminster and you are right, the whole establishment is an anachronism harking back to a bygone age, grown men hew hawing, shouting hear hear against shouts of Order Order is a joke throughout Europe, and the voting system is a shambles, members leaving the chamber into a lobby and then filing singly through the Aye/ No  doors to be hand counted,  all other parliament members throughout the world press a button and the vote result is instantaneous.

And then the second house, the House of Lords, that's a fuckin joke in itself, contains unelected members voting on bills/laws and collecting £323 a day.

Absurd right enough and the sooner we are away from this the better.

Edited by SandyCromarty