Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

393 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst the polls have, and still are, fluctuating, over the last 12 months we have seen support for Independence grow to over 50% on a large number of occasions and for the first time ever.

That is real progress as Independence can and will only be achieved when over 50% of those who choose to cast their vote do so in favour of leaving the U.K.  Independence cannot be foisted on the people of Scotland, they must choose to support it.

My question would be, how do they choose it at this point?  

SNP policy for decades was that if they had a majority of seats at Westminster from Scotland, that was the required mandate to begin negotiations for independence.  Even British PMs acknowledged the legitimacy of this argument.  In 2015, the party got 56 out of 59 of those seats.  They still have a healthy majority, although reduced from 2015 standards.  There's been a majority for independence at Holyrood since 2011.  Yet, we're denied the right to formally vote on the matter, because of the S30 deadlock.  In my opinion, the "gold standard" speech will turn out to be a more problematic statement, in the long run, than "once in a generation", which is easily refuted.  

11 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I think it feels we are closer to independence than we were in 2014, whether its enough to win it on the day of an Indy2 thats held within in next 2-3 years i'm not sure.

I would be leaning towards it is though

I agree, I think that if the vote was held in that timescale, we would win.

Then again, I thought we'd win last time.

10 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:
14 hours ago, strichener said:
Most skilled at what exactly.  The whole point of the SNP is to deliver independence.  She has had nearly seven years as FM and has delivered nothing in this regard.  She rode the wave of the Yes campaign and I fear the tide is starting to go out.

What should she have done and when?

The SNP have been  continuously working on a route to Independence as below;

On 28 March 2017, the Scottish Parliament voted 69–59 on Motion S5M-04710, in favour of holding a second referendum on Scottish independence.[44][45] Prior to the passage of the motion, a Green Party amendment was passed, by the same margin, that seeks to enable 16 and 17 year-olds and EU citizens the opportunity to vote in a referendum.[46]

In April 2019, Sturgeon proposed holding a second referendum before the end of the Scottish Parliamentary session in May 2021.[58] Legislation was introduced to Parliament to govern any future referendums on any subject held by the devolved institutions. The Scottish Government was working on a three-pronged approach to constitutional change:

In January 2021, the SNP stated that, if pro-independence parties win a majority in the upcoming election, the Scottish Government would pass a bill allowing a referendum to take place without a Section 30 order. The Scottish Conservatives have said they would boycott such a referendum.

8 hours ago, Burning Barns said:

A political generation is seven years, this is the British definition.  A new poll on Irish independence may take place seven years after the last one, according to the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.  For us as a nation to accept being held to a different standard, would be utter lunacy.  

We were not told "Once in a political generation" though. 

1 hour ago, Pato said:

Have we talked about the shoe photo yet

We can talk about the absolute roasters that have tried to compare it to a memorial in Budapest to Jewish people that were killed in the holocaust.

I mean shoes have never been used in a protest before.

https://www.avpress.com/news/red-shoes-used-to-protest-killings-of-women/article_cf64fd96-34f8-11ea-9514-e30b4d4b2e5a.html

https://mashable.com/2015/11/30/shoes-protests-paris-climate-pope-francis/

https://www.euronews.com/living/2020/05/19/thousands-of-kids-shoes-appear-in-london-square-as-a-form-of-protest

The mud slinging is reaching the levels of right wing Labour types that smeared Corbyn.

11 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:
11 hours ago, strichener said:
I am not a party to internal polling or advice.  I therefore can't comment on what they should have done.  I can comment on the empty rhetoric that has fed to Independence supporters at every turn.  It may be playing politics when you send a letter to the PM demanding a referendum but when this is refused, to not have any follow up is incompetent.  I have heard that we have experienced the major change that was spoken about in the previous manifesto.  I have heard Nicola state that they haven't ruled out legal action.  I am hearing lots about what can facilitate independence but no action towards delivering it.  Are we closer to independence now than at any point since 2014?  It certainly doesn't feel like it personally.

That's a long way of saying "I haven't got a clue".

Correct. Wind and pish. We're far closer to independence now than in 2014 after the vote. 

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We were not told "Once in a political generation" though. 

There is/was no binding once in a generation agreement in any legal paperwork around Indy ref.  It was a throwaway line by AS trying to highlight the importance of the vote. It's the same as Bozo saying he'd rather be dead in a ditch than ask for a Brexit extension. 

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

There is/was no binding once in a generation agreement in any legal paperwork around Indy ref.  It was a throwaway line by AS trying to highlight the importance of the vote. It's the same as Bozo saying he'd rather be dead in a ditch than ask for a Brexit extension. 

To be fair though, if there was a straightforward choice between a Brexit extension and BoJo being dead in a ditch, it might be a close vote. 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

To be fair though, if there was a straightforward choice between a Brexit extension and BoJo being dead in a ditch, it might be a close vote. 

Sadly it wouldn’t be a close vote.  I remember posters being critical of Johnson yet hoping desperately that he recovered when he had Covid.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sadly it wouldn’t be a close vote.  I remember posters being critical of Johnson yet hoping desperately that he recovered when he had Covid.

I'm not saying that I want any harm to come to the UK's Dear Leader, (that sort of thing tends to be frowned upon by even quite relaxed moderators 😉). I just think it would be an interesting vote.... 

I'm opposed to the monarchy as well but I'm not building a guillotine. 

Just now, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm not saying that I want any harm to come to the UK's Dear Leader, (that sort of thing tends to be frowned upon by even quite relaxed moderators 😉). I just think it would be an interesting vote.... 

I'm opposed to the monarchy as well but I'm not building a guillotine. 

If he dropped dead tomorrow I’d celebrate.  Same goes for Patel, Raab, Gove, Mogg, etc.

57 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
7 hours ago, ayrmad said:
What wasn't her fault then. 

Fucking pay attention.

That'll be nowt then. 

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Whilst the polls have, and still are, fluctuating, over the last 12 months we have seen support for Independence grow to over 50% on a large number of occasions and for the first time ever.

That is real progress as Independence can and will only be achieved when over 50% of those who choose to cast their vote do so in favour of leaving the U.K.  Independence cannot be foisted on the people of Scotland, they must choose to support it.

There was one poll before the referendum that was 51% yes.  But I take the general point.  I think that the shift in opinion during the 2014 campaign shows that many people that hadn't given indepence much consideration got caught up in the who Yes movement.  The lack of movement since then has many shrugging their shoulders and the SNP trying to counter the Tory ploy of keeping it as an issue front and centre to galvanise the union vote has, in my opinion, led to a decline in engagement over the issue.  I do however think that when push came to shove they would be supportive of Independence.  

tldr - ignore the polls, kill the queen  and get on with holding the referendum on the same day as her funeral.

Edited by strichener

Lets leave calling an odious bigot like Jim Spence a "respected broadcaster" for a minute.

How many more times do Salmond and Alba have to show you exactly what they are before you'll believe them?