Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No no they've actually supported it.

From this article - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alba-candidate-margaret-lynchs-age-of-consent-claims-dangerous-says-stonewall-n09t59dpm

"Lynch’s allegation was expanded upon by Stuart Campbell, the founder of the Wings Over Scotland website, a nationalist blog, who claimed “the only possible interpretation of ‘end the criminalisation of adolescents’ sexuality’ is a reduction in the age of consent to ten years old” as the World Health Organisation defines adolescents as people aged 10 to 19.

Campbell claimed “there is simply no interpretation possible other than that they’re calling for a reduction in the age of consent” as the IWHC does not specify its definition of “adolescent"

In a statement, an Alba spokesman said Margaret Lynch was “highlighting concerns that ILGA World – the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association are currently campaigning to eliminate all laws and policies…that limit the exercise of bodily autonomy, including laws limiting legal capacity of adolescents…to provide consent to sex” and to “end the criminalisation and stigmatization of adolescents’ sexuality.

“The organisations referenced have both signed up to this demand, and both have received substantial amounts of government funding.

“These are reputable organisations that make a positive impact on the lives of many in Scotland. If the organisations do not support what they have signed up to it is for them to say or provide clarification, it is not for women that attended our women’s conference to defend concerns that women have raised based on fact.”

Hadn’t seen that.

I haven’t read the ILGA thing they’re citing, but I’d be prepared to bet a huge amount of money that they’re selectively quoting it and that, in context, an interpretation other than “the gays want to legalise shagging 10 year olds” is possible. 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Hadn’t seen that.

I haven’t read the ILGA thing they’re citing, but I’d be prepared to bet a huge amount of money that they’re selectively quoting it and that, in context, an interpretation other than “the gays want to legalise shagging 10 year olds” is possible. 

Yea, The Times provides some context. 

However, the declaration cites a raft of United Nations conventions which meet the “Luxembourg guidelines” on terminology used in the protection of children from sexual exploitation and abuse.

The guidelines state “adolescent” is a “non-numerical” term defining “the ‘in-between” phase between childhood and adulthood, thus recognising that adolescents — who legally are still children if under 18 years of age — are in a phase of evolving capacities in which they can take partial or full responsibility for certain actions (including) sexual consent”.

The IWHC also subscribes to the UN guidance on sexuality education which sets out “age appropriate” learning objectives for ages 5-8, 9-12, 12-15 and 15-18.

Its campaign to reform laws limiting the right of adolescents to consent to sex is aimed at countries like Haiti and Zimbabwe that restrict sexual health services, such as contraception and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, to adolescents as old as 18 without parental consent.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Hadn’t seen that.

Of course they are. It's yer man from Bath howling at the moon (again). 

Edited by HTG

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

SNP will be getting my 1st vote, my list vote will be for another indy party. Most likely the greens, even though they would despise me as I drive a diesel car.

FWIW, a diesel car is (slightly) less harmful for climate change than a petrol car, because it has better fuel efficiency. The problem with diesel is particulates, which kills people in urban areas through air pollution. If you live/drive in the countryside a diesel is a better choice than petrol.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I started reading catch up on page 32, but gave up and jumped to here. Have I missed anything important?

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Alba party candidate equating being LGBTQ+ with Paedophilia, to deafening silence from the party itself, would be the main thing.

30 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

No. 

Thanks, chaps, saved me ploughing through 13 pages of shite by the looks of things.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

No no they've actually supported it.

From this article - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alba-candidate-margaret-lynchs-age-of-consent-claims-dangerous-says-stonewall-n09t59dpm

"Lynch’s allegation was expanded upon by Stuart Campbell, the founder of the Wings Over Scotland website, a nationalist blog, who claimed “the only possible interpretation of ‘end the criminalisation of adolescents’ sexuality’ is a reduction in the age of consent to ten years old” as the World Health Organisation defines adolescents as people aged 10 to 19.

Campbell claimed “there is simply no interpretation possible other than that they’re calling for a reduction in the age of consent” as the IWHC does not specify its definition of “adolescent"

In a statement, an Alba spokesman said Margaret Lynch was “highlighting concerns that ILGA World – the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association are currently campaigning to eliminate all laws and policies…that limit the exercise of bodily autonomy, including laws limiting legal capacity of adolescents…to provide consent to sex” and to “end the criminalisation and stigmatization of adolescents’ sexuality.

“The organisations referenced have both signed up to this demand, and both have received substantial amounts of government funding.

“These are reputable organisations that make a positive impact on the lives of many in Scotland. If the organisations do not support what they have signed up to it is for them to say or provide clarification, it is not for women that attended our women’s conference to defend concerns that women have raised based on fact.”

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You were quite keen on lending Alba your vote iirc, any change to that stance in say the last 48 hours?

I'll be giving my 2nd vote to whichever Indy party I think will benefit from it the most, it's all about Indy for me in the Holyrood elections, that's the only reason I'm voting SNP1. 

I only ever used the term lend with regards to my 1st vote. 

Edited by ayrmad

I would have thought that a party that is supposedly all for 'protecting women's rights', would be screaming blue murder at an article describing one of their female members as a 'spokesman"

It's exactly the sort of pedantic and semantic nonsense that GC folk are usually spitting feathers about.

I, for one, am astounded that a political party cobbled together at short notice to bolster the ego of a ‘yesterday’s man’ politician is attracting all sort of weirdos and crackpots with axes to grind leading to outrageous and indefensible statements.

Surely no one could have seen this coming?

39 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'll be giving my 2nd vote to whichever Indy party I think will benefit from it the most, it's all about Indy for me in the Holyrood elections, that's the only reason I'm voting SNP1. 

So yes, you're still considering voting for them?

10 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

So yes, you're still considering voting for them?

They'll certainly have more chance of getting it than the SNP. 

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

They'll certainly have more chance of getting it than the SNP. 

Is there a moral line you'd draw where you wouldn't be able to bring yourself to vote for a party regardless of their stance on independence?

55 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Just for the sake of argument, how far does that run? I mean, if the pro-independence party in your area most likely to benefit from your vote were in favour of, say, slavery, workhouses and Mrs Brown's Boys, would you vote for them?

Obviously I'm being ridiculous but I'm curious how far you could see yourself going away from other issues you care about.