Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

So for example you would automatically accept the Millbank Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, Niall Ferguson's, take on, say, the British Empire over any of his detractors who don't have lofty titles? 

I find the just a few years comment strange as well. If nothing else it's also these opinions on the subject don't have the benefit of academic distance and a possible quarter century of developing historiography.

No.

I'm saying I would accept the word of someone whose classes I attended for two years and was confident enough that I could trust, plus the reading they set, over an anonymous account on the internet. That's not even in same ballpark as your analogy.

This stuff isn't particularly contested. I suspect our angry friend might have a particular stake in this game.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

No.

I'm saying I would accept the word of someone whose classes I attended for two years and was confident enough that I could trust, plus the reading they set, over an anonymous account on the internet. That's not even in same ballpark as your analogy.

This stuff isn't particularly contested. I suspect our angry friend might have a particular stake in this game.

What stake might that be? And who was the lecturer out of interest?

Is it not the case that the recognitions of former Soviet and Yugoslav republics depended on the internal mechanisms of those states?  The Yugoslav consitution gave each of the republics the right to secede.  Obviously there were significant other issues with the process, to say the least.

For the Soviet Union, they basically just chucked it in 1991.  "f**k this", I think the direct quote was.

5 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

Yeah, still voting Alba on the regional list vote. Confirmed even more now that the SNP cannot make their mind up whether it will be early in the parliamentary term or later. Absolute shambles going on. 

f**k academics. 

I was born in this magnificent and beautiful country, if I want to be free I will exercise my right under the United Nations charter (which uk has signed up to in case you forgot) to choose the form of government best suited to my (Scotland) needs. 

Stop being cowards.  Assert your rights. 

Or keep blindly hoping. 

What's the Alba plan? I missed the policy launch 

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

There was absolutely no need for your abuse at all, so this is the last time I respond to you.

That's a relief, frankly.

Having family in the region, having lived there for several years and worked there for several years longer, I'm quite content with my knowledge on the subject.

The events you have presented are basically total fantasy.

1. Slovenia fought with SFR Yugoslavia for ten days (June / July 1991); not recognised as fully independent until 1992. However it had been pulling at the threads of independence since the Slovenian roads affair of 1969 and intensively throughout the 1980s.

2. Croatia was controversially recognised as independent at much the same time- early 1992. The fact that you casually dismissed this as "Serbia had no interest by then" is kind of, well, fantasy. Maybe google the timeline of the Yugoslav wars, Operation Storm in 1995. A basic understanding of very basic secondary school history would tell you this. Instead you double down on your nonsense after a haughty first post demanding that I not waste your time.

3. Yugoslavia existed until 2003 when it changed it's name to Serbia & Montenegro, the two splitting apart in 2006. Very basic stuff.

4. ICT Chris' post above covers the Russian / Soviet angle.

I'm sure Professor Grant's lecture on the legal nuances of the process of the dissolution of SFRY (note: not the FRY) was very interesting. Your pretty basic failure on the most basic facts of a very complicated situation you have to own by yourself. I'm sure you didn't get any of this half-remembered shite directly from him.

[/derail]

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

What's the Alba plan? I missed the policy launch 

AFAIK it's AS gets one seat (maybe two) and demands an instantaneous referendum that WM will pathetically wave through and we'll be indy by 2022. Oh, and something something plebiscite 

Edited by madwullie

Just now, Stinky Bone said:

I thought it was obvious. Independence. . 

To put pressure on the Scottish Government to deliver Independence.  The current Scottish Government does not seem to want to do that.  We have been waiting years for a referendum with the promise that westminster will agree to a section 30, it hasn't happened. 

So what should we do.  Keep waiting for the Scottish Government to get an agreement from westminster. Or do we actually do something about it? 

As above. 

So nothing then. There is no substance at all in what you just posted. 

53 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

If you are calling Independence nothing, then are you sure you want it?

Nation of cowards. No balls to go for it like many other countries have done. 

And we have the cheek to slag off unionists, when we don't even have the guts to go for what we want. 

Scotland ffs, history is repeating  we don't learn. 

Is it double maths next or something?

2 hours ago, Stinky Bone said:

Yeah, still voting Alba on the regional list vote. Confirmed even more now that the SNP cannot make their mind up whether it will be early in the parliamentary term or later. Absolute shambles going on. 

f**k academics. 

I was born in this magnificent and beautiful country, if I want to be free I will exercise my right under the United Nations charter (which uk has signed up to in case you forgot) to choose the form of government best suited to my (Scotland) needs. 

Stop being cowards.  Assert your rights. 

Or keep blindly hoping. 

Once more, what's Alba's plan? I think this is the fourth time of asking.

1 hour ago, Stinky Bone said:

I thought it was obvious. Independence. .

That's an aim, not a plan.  How will Alba achieve their aim?

1 hour ago, Stinky Bone said:

To put pressure on the Scottish Government to deliver Independence.  

Jesus fucking christ.

1 minute ago, Stinky Bone said:

Independence for Scotland. 

That's still an aim, not a plan. Would you like a dictionary?

1 minute ago, Stinky Bone said:

Put some pressure on the party that is supposed to deliver it, SNP. 

Given that you say the SNP don't want independence, how will that work?

3 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

BTW I answered this the first time, not the fourth time.  Stay stoned though. 

You still haven't answered it, son.

I notice Stinky Bone has his team listed as Scotland.  That explains it.

Q. ”So what’s the aim Steve Clarke?”

A. “To win the game.”

Q. “So how are you going to do it?”

A.  “Mmmm.  Errrr. Mumble.  Ollie McBurnie.”