Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What are the policy differences between Alba and the SNP? The only one I’ve seen mentioned was sterlingisation, with Alba wanting to move to a Scottish currency as soon as possible post independence whereas the SNPs position, IIRC, is for a non defined period of using sterling before looking at the feasibility of moving to a different currency.

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What are the policy differences between Alba and the SNP? The only one I’ve seen mentioned was sterlingisation, with Alba wanting to move to a Scottish currency as soon as possible post independence whereas the SNPs position, IIRC, is for a non defined period of using sterling before looking at the feasibility of moving to a different currency.

Considering that they'll be attracting a lot of the angry WHY AREN'T WE INDEPENDENT YET? crowd, it'll be interesting to see what their ideas are for making that happen.

Not a chance of Salmond genuinely entertaining the notion of UDI; if he does, that'll be the biggest indicator that this is just an attempt to GIRU his old party.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Considering that they'll be attracting a lot of the angry WHY AREN'T WE INDEPENDENT YET? crowd, it'll be interesting to see what their ideas are for making that happen.

Not a chance of Salmond genuinely entertaining the notion of UDI; if he does, that'll be the biggest indicator that this is just an attempt to GIRU his old party.

Salmond isn't a faRAGE type but he knows and plays the game better than most.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

April 6 is when the policy announcement is so prepare for a lot of patter.

I have been voting since 1983 and this is the first ever election where I don't know  where to put my vote - or to be more specific my List vote (SNP will get Constituency)  I made up my mind that Greens would get it last week after thinking hard about the most sensible pro independence tactic. As I am in North East Scotland, with Salmond running I am tempted to vote Alba as I do think he could be good for the independence movement - if he wised up and stopped picking fights with the government and actually worked with them.

Are Alba endorsing SNP vote 1 yet?  They will need to publicly state that before I consider further

So far, the only person I know who's going to vote for the Alba Party, is Campbell Martin (former MSP, I was his election agent back in the day). Every other friend who is either an SNP member, or voter is firmly in the "wouldn't touch the new Salmond with a barge pole" camp.

I'm sure there wil be some people I know who will vote Alba Party,  but I suspect not many. 

So far, the only person I know who's going to vote for the Alba Party, is Campbell Martin (former MSP, I was his election agent back in the day). Every other friend who is either an SNP member, or voter is firmly in the "wouldn't touch the new Salmond with a barge pole" camp.
I'm sure there wil be some people I know who will vote Alba Party,  but I suspect not many. 
This is not the "huge split" that the likes of the Heil are making out - apart from a few recognised names, most of the people I've seen mentioned so far are either ex-members or have never been members.

Salmond being more unpopular in Scotland than boris Johnson takes some doing.
I read that article and some if it is just wishful thinking.

Yes Salmond is unpopular but then Rentoul somehow thinks that will reduce SNP support.

Rentoul completely ignores the popularity of Sturgeon herself.

Alba may well fail but it would be a brave person who would think that it will also deflate SNP support.

There is just no evidence that would be the case.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I read that article and done if it us just wishful thinking.

Yes Salmond is unpopular but then he somehow thinks that will reduce SNP support.

Alba may well fail but it would be a brave person who would think that it will also deflate SNP support.

The Independent’s “insight” into politics in Scotland is very, very poor.  Has been for as long as I can remember. 

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I read that article and done if it us just wishful thinking.

Yes Salmond is unpopular but then he somehow thinks that will reduce SNP support.

I think there are four credible outcomes from the Alba Experiment. In no particular order:

1/ Tank spectacularly and have no impact on the outcome of the election. (business as usual and onto IndyRef with the strongest case).

2/ Take enough second votes to split the Indy vote three ways and allow a unionist majority via the list. (a disaster and the next referendum could well be a generation away).

3/ Take enough list seats to hold the balance of power. (Salmond as the power broker weakens the case for Indy and will be a huge distraction).

4/ Take double figures of list seats (gaming the system with a "super majority" and undermine the case).

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Rock and a hard place with this, but the SNP seem pretty devoid on ideas what to do to move forward, no section 30 granted  and no Catalonia type disobedience intended results in endless status quo and perception that it's a gravy train

I think there are four credible outcomes from the Alba Experiment. In no particular order:
1/ Tank spectacularly and have no impact on the outcome of the election. (business as usual and onto IndyRef with the strongest case).
2/ Take enough second votes to split the Indy vote three ways and allow a unionist majority via the list. (a disaster and the next referendum could well be a generation away).
3/ Take enough list seats to hold the balance of power. (Salmond as the power broker weakens the case for Indy and will be a huge distraction).
4/ Take double figures of list seats (gaming the system with a "super majority" and undermine the case).

I think it could be a big more complicated.

I still think it's possible for the SNP to take enough constituencies to get the overall majority - you'd think, for example that with the Blurt gone the Tories will struggle to hold on to Edinburgh Central.

There is also not the cohesive Save the Union campaign of previous elections - Sarwar is not playing ball and might just hold on to those No voters toying with a vote for the Tories. The Tories also don't have the Blurt leading this time - Forres Gump has about as much charisma as a dead parrot - they will find it harder - he's not Davidson.

On the list I think there could be mixed results for Alba - they may well take a seat in NE Scotland with Salmond but may not dent SNP list votes in H&I and South of Scotland. The Greens may worry but, again, as others have mentioned, I just don't see their demographic - the soft Greens and the Indy Greens - going to Alba.

The interesting thing is how other parties respond - personally I'd be ignoring them completely - treat them like any other fringe party - and thus starving them the publicity they need. If they start to respond or react to Alba that would be a huge mistake by any party.

Alba=this elections RISE I reckon. Can't see tham polling more than 2-3% on the list and 0 seats. Disbanded soon afterwards, and Salmond continuing his legal battle against civil servants.

Edited by Jedi