Wrestlemania 37 Week

forameus

Quite ironic that anyone paying for the network is probably having some of their money fed into the Republicans yet hate Jericho for his political views. I don't agree with him at all but Undertaker seems to get much less hassle. Either way this should be a fascinating watch, Jericho is one of the greats and still  completely relevant today 

So another show out of the way, and just two left before Wrestlemania, or one if you count Smackdown as Night 0.  So what did we learn?  What massive matches did we book?

f**k all.

Well, not exactly.  We now know the lineup of the tag team titles match next Friday.  Roode and Ziggler will defend against Alpha Academy (Gable and Otis), the Mysterios and the Street Profits.  Probably all fuelled by the absolute rage of knowing they're off the biggest card in their industry.  We also have a stipulation for the Intercontinental Title Match.  Ladder?  Street Fight?  Hell in a Cell?  Nope, Nigerian Drum match.  Aye.  Oh aye, and they've added Logan Paul as a corner man for Owens vs Zayn.  Like making a Michelin Starred Meal, bringing it to the table, then having the waiter slam his face into it.

Updated the initial post, but with just a week to go, this card is desperately short of where a Wrestlemania should be.

Edited by forameus

I'm sure some of the actual wrestling on show will be enough to salvage the even for the purists of wrestling that post on here, but it really is looking set up to be the most underwhelming set of shows (can't even just say show) in Mania history at the moment.

It almost feels like Triple H/Vince have decided that this one 'doesn't really count' and we'll build to next year when things are back to normal.

Guest bernardblack
6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Apparently Styles asked Hunter for a match at this year’s event but Hunter said he wouldn’t have time to get ready for it. 

Can see this match happening next year. 

I took that as “wasn’t sure there would be a crowd so he couldn’t be arsed” 😂

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm sure some of the actual wrestling on show will be enough to salvage the even for the purists of wrestling that post on here, but it really is looking set up to be the most underwhelming set of shows (can't even just say show) in Mania history at the moment.

It almost feels like Triple H/Vince have decided that this one 'doesn't really count' and we'll build to next year when things are back to normal.

One thing's for sure, if they do a WWE24 on this (and I expect they will) it'll be really interesting to see the thought process behind it.  The lack of real star power is startling compared to most years.  DId Brock not fancy it?  Didn't want to pay him?  HHH too busy to go through the schedule?  Did Covid stop them going after more special attractions?

It really does seem like they see this as the end of the year they'd rather forget, but that's not really understandable given they've gought to get fans in (whether it's a good idea or not).  Do they really think they can just put out an average show because people will be desperate to see anything

I'm looking forward to a number of the matches, but it's not a great start to know that the one match I expect everyone will look at is going to be at the tail end of around 8 hours of show across two nights, and by that time - going by previous years - it could be underwhelming.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

One thing's for sure, if they do a WWE24 on this (and I expect they will) it'll be really interesting to see the thought process behind it.  The lack of real star power is startling compared to most years.  DId Brock not fancy it?  Didn't want to pay him?  HHH too busy to go through the schedule?  Did Covid stop them going after more special attractions?

It really does seem like they see this as the end of the year they'd rather forget, but that's not really understandable given they've gought to get fans in (whether it's a good idea or not).  Do they really think they can just put out an average show because people will be desperate to see anything

I'm looking forward to a number of the matches, but it's not a great start to know that the one match I expect everyone will look at is going to be at the tail end of around 8 hours of show across two nights, and by that time - going by previous years - it could be underwhelming.

That argument falls down when you consider the build to last year's Mania, which was absolutely shite yet they didn't know it would have to be moved to the PC until long after the vast majority of stories were underway.

Seems that WrestleMania keeps it's hold regardless of not only the bullshit surrounding WWE and those within, but wrestling in general. Still finding myself thinking "oooohhh, it's WrestleMania week" despite it ALSO being the most uninspiring Wrestlemania card probably since XI.

EDIT: Even then, at least you had plenty of celebrity shit.

Edited by Andre Drazen

It's probably empty hope, but I just keep thinking like they've got something planned, either tonight for RAW or at the actual show itself to make it feel bigger.  It just doesn't seem very WWE to have an underwhelming WM, particularly in current circumstances.  I expect a lot of the matches are going to be good-to-great, but just...meh.  Like Rollins vs Cesaro.  That'll likely be a great match, but there's no stakes, and I'm not sure just having a solidly worked match between two guys is going to elevate the show to where it should be.  I'm really excited for the title triple threat, but we've got to sit through a lot of show before we get to that.  No huge stars on the card, no real interesting stipulations to change things up (I don't think Shane vs Braun in a cage is going to really move the needle).

On a different note, is NXT getting a crowd in or are they just going to do what they've been doing and have a few fans surrounding the ring in a smaller venue?  Looks like it, and it's a crying shame that the matches taking place there don't have a crowd, and WM's do.

It'll be interesting to see how the crowd helps at Mania. A small capacity in a big outdoor stadium might not come across well at all. It often comes across hollow when they're packed.

I don't mind the NXT way of doing things, especially in such a small setting, so if they keep it the same, I don't imagine I'll have too many issues with it. I think it might come across better than that stadium crowd.

1 hour ago, Andre Drazen said:

It'll be interesting to see how the crowd helps at Mania. A small capacity in a big outdoor stadium might not come across well at all. It often comes across hollow when they're packed.

I don't mind the NXT way of doing things, especially in such a small setting, so if they keep it the same, I don't imagine I'll have too many issues with it. I think it might come across better than that stadium crowd.

Oh I don't doubt that.  NXT is going to be electric whatever happens, it's just a big shame that such quality (assumedly) is going to be in front of a tiny crowd, and WM will likely be fairly pish but be in front of the first crowd in a year.

And yeah, there's still a lot of questions on how that crowd is going to come across.  It's going to be great to see atmosphere again, but in an open-air stadium, how much are you really going to get?  Particularly when WWE have a really bad habit of having their show completely fall off a cliff late on in the show when the crowd gets tired.

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

Oh I don't doubt that.  NXT is going to be electric whatever happens, it's just a big shame that such quality (assumedly) is going to be in front of a tiny crowd, and WM will likely be fairly pish but be in front of the first crowd in a year.

And yeah, there's still a lot of questions on how that crowd is going to come across.  It's going to be great to see atmosphere again, but in an open-air stadium, how much are you really going to get?  Particularly when WWE have a really bad habit of having their show completely fall off a cliff late on in the show when the crowd gets tired.

You have to imagine the two 3 hour shows will at the very least negate that final point becoming too much of an issue. Especially with a fairly uninspiring card meaning the crowd aren't likely to be getting TOO rowdy for much.

Final RAW before WM down, and...sigh.

They've added a Tag Team Turmoil match to night 1, with the winner getting a shot at the Women's Tag Team Titles.  Hype.  They've also decided that Bad Bunny's too shite to doa  1-on-1 match, so it's now a tag match with Priest and Morrison added in.  Sizzle.

It's not because Bad Bunny is shite. It's because they weren't sure about Morrison's fitness, and now they're more confident he can wrestle. It was always the plan to do the match that's now been announced.

Oh, and I enjoy tag team turmoils. They're usually not boring because of the nature of them. So even the shit ones turn out approach being watchable.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Final RAW before WM down, and...sigh.

They've added a Tag Team Turmoil match to night 1, with the winner getting a shot at the Women's Tag Team Titles.  Hype.  They've also decided that Bad Bunny's too shite to doa  1-on-1 match, so it's now a tag match with Priest and Morrison added in.  Sizzle.

Wasn’t the tag match always rumoured to be the plan then Priest or Morrison got injured? Not unexpected for a celebrity match to be a tag.

eta just noticed I dived in two footed before seeing DomDoms post nvm.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge