Jump to content

047 John Gall: The pie man behind Darvel on American investment, floodlights & his grandad's secret Hurlford donation PLUS Kennie Young on the season's end


Recommended Posts

2025545981_Gallad.thumb.jpeg.a0f398318fdfb81b6539db6db6316691.jpeg

 

Hi everyone,

There might still not be any lower league football to enjoy right now but we do have some lower league football to listen to.

A little later than normal this week, we just wanted to alert you to the fact we have Darvel chairman John Gall on Episode 47 of the Down The Divisions podcast. The show’s synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support!

 

047 John Gall: The pie man behind Darvel on American investment, floodlights & his grandad's secret Hurlford donation PLUS Kennie Young on the season's end

 

JOHN GALL is the man who had people saying aye to a Killie pie.

But now the managing director of Brownings the Bakers is ploughing his dough into Darvel.

Crowned World Scotch Pie champion in 2017, John is now targeting silverware at Recreation Park in the coming seasons.

The likes of Ian MacShane, Jordan Kirkpatrick and Ross Perry have signed for the team bossed by Mick Kennedy.

Last week they turned on their brand new floodlights, built as part of the requirements they’ll need if they’re to continue rising up the leagues.

But the lights then went out on their promotion hopes just a few days ago after the West of Scotland League campaign was declared null and void.

We’ll hear John’s thoughts on being left in the dark – and whether he feels this season has now been a waste of money.

Newly confirmed West of Scotland League fixture Kennie Young also makes an appearance just hours after the announcement was made. 

He reveals plans for an earlier start date next term, tells us what clubs applying to join the league next season will require - and why the 67 original members will be protected.

After that we’ll ask John about claims he’s buying success – and find out about the secret American-based boyhood Darvel fan who's also invested in the club.

John tells us about plans for Friday night football and his grandad's mystery £100 donation to Hurlford in 1965.

We’ll also look back at his previous involvement in football at Kilmarnock - and try to find out just what the secret is to that baking success, which dates back to 1945.

That, plus Des Roache’s roundup.

We'd also like to give a quick mention to our sponsors FortyFour Creative. They have a team of highly skilled and passionate photographers, graphic designers, videographers and video editors to help promote your content, brand, organisation or event. They make creation personal. Find out more at www.fortyfourcreativehq.com

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. Likewise if you're at a club who would like your post-match audio featured on the show then do get in touch. You can email [email protected] or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

If it’s bread and butter football you’re looking for, then you’ve come to the right place, as we go Down The Divisions.   


Down The Divisions logo design Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's my own fault for listening to this but, oh dear. Apparently when the fans come back next season, the club will make massive profits. Must be charging 50 notes a skull to get in.

image.jpeg.2f7d6a466f776f4762b087f9c1faf4c1.jpeg

On a more positive note, probably the most professional of this genre of podcasts covering this league. Well done, guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mentioning that Darvel get bigger crowds than lower league SPFL teams like Forfar made me cringe . Forfar when fans were allowed at games got on average over 600 at each home game. Darvel simply don't get that on average over a season, their attendances were going up but not 600 at every game. Also said that Darvel didn't have biggest budget in the league last season, I am pretty sure they were one of the few clubs paying anything more than expenses.

Otherwise an interesting listen and well produced show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mentioning that Darvel get bigger crowds than lower league SPFL teams like Forfar made me cringe . Forfar when fans were allowed at games got on average over 600 at each home game. Darvel simply don't get that on average over a season, their attendances were going up but not 600 at every game. Also said that Darvel didn't have biggest budget in the league last season, I am pretty sure they were one of the few clubs paying anything more than expenses.

Otherwise an interesting listen and well produced show.




When we played them there was around 300-400 there and there was around 50-100 of our fans there. It’s good the have ambitions to get to that level but they are not there yet.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shannon said:

Mentioning that Darvel get bigger crowds than lower league SPFL teams like Forfar made me cringe emoji85.png. Forfar when fans were allowed at games got on average over 600 at each home game. Darvel simply don't get that on average over a season, their attendances were going up but not 600 at every game. Also said that Darvel didn't have biggest budget in the league last season, I am pretty sure they were one of the few clubs paying anything more than expenses.

Guessing he said the wrong Angus club - probably meant Brechin as they are in League 2 with 425 average last season. Though Forfar are bottom of League 1 so they'll have fewer fans next season if they get relegated.

He did mention Friday night games now that they have floodlights, especially when Kilmarnock or others are playing at home on a Saturday that could bring in more fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Guessing he said the wrong Angus club - probably meant Brechin as they are in League 2 with 425 average last season. Though Forfar are bottom of League 1 so they'll have fewer fans next season if they get relegated.

He did mention Friday night games now that they have floodlights, especially when Kilmarnock or others are playing at home on a Saturday that could bring in more fans.

Every Killie fan I know and I know quite a few tend to go and watch Hurlford if Killie aren't playing so they might not get the numbers they think.

Changed days indeed from when they used to get single figure gates.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

It's my own fault for listening to this but, oh dear. Apparently when the fans come back next season, the club will make massive profits. Must be charging 50 notes a skull to get in.

image.jpeg.2f7d6a466f776f4762b087f9c1faf4c1.jpeg

On a more positive note, probably the most professional of this genre of podcasts covering this league. Well done, guys.

It’s not that hard to believe, income from gate receipts, food and drink, lottery, advertising boards, sponsorships then minus the budget means the club would be in profit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, santheman said:

Every Killie fan I know and I know quite a few tend to go and watch Hurlford if Killie aren't playing so they might not get the numbers they think.

Changed days indeed from when they used to get single figure gates.

Not sure what your comment has to do with Darvel playing on a Friday night if Kilmarnock (or Celtic/Rangers) are at home on a Saturday?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not sure what your comment has to do with Darvel playing on a Friday night if Kilmarnock (or Celtic/Rangers) are at home on a Saturday

 

The suggestion was that Darvel might benefit from Killie fans going to see them when their own team isn't playing.

I'm suggesting the majority of them go and watch Hurlford when that is the case.

Sorry for any confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mkennedy said:

It’s not that hard to believe, income from gate receipts, food and drink, lottery, advertising boards, sponsorships then minus the budget means the club would be in profit. 

The budget which isn't the biggest in the league you mean? Where does he get the information about other club's budgets so that he can publicly declare that Darvel don't pay the biggest wages? You lads can keep saying it but that won't mean listeners are daft enough to believe it.

The club have obviously taken great strides which is to be commended but stop trying to kid everyone on that it's not been heavily privately funded. It just makes you both sound a bit silly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The budget which isn't the biggest in the league you mean? Where does he get the information about other club's budgets so that he can publicly declare that Darvel don't pay the biggest wages? You lads can keep saying it but that won't mean listeners are daft enough to believe it.

The club have obviously taken great strides which is to be commended but stop trying to kid everyone on that it's not been heavily privately funded. It just makes you both sound a bit silly.

Same the place you obv get yours, how do you know ours is the biggest in the league? 

No one sounding daft, the club isn’t reliant on John to pay wages it come from the sources that I have described which is greater than the clubs playing budget. I have no reason to lie if it was was funded by John I would say its nothing to be ashamed about. 

The issue is you think the budget is far greater than actually is, I have said before it will be up there with the top budgets in the division. 
 

Ask the Darvel Legend he has no reason to lie, he knows last season budget it’s the same as this season coming and he will tell you it’s funded from income from the club
 

 

Edited by Mkennedy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bollocks
The creepy auld clueless chairman with a 'private investor from america' and a narcissist manager from glasgow all sticking money into a once proud wee ayrshire club turning them into a fake phoney plaything.

When will this pathetic charade end that's the 64,000 dollar question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gaswork said:

Bollocks
The creepy auld clueless chairman with a 'private investor from america' and a narcissist manager from glasgow all sticking money into a once proud wee ayrshire club turning them into a fake phoney plaything.

When will this pathetic charade end that's the 64,000 dollar question.

😂😂😂 I’m not even getting involved in a discussion  with you, your a fucking idiot 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gaswork said:

Bollocks
The creepy auld clueless chairman with a 'private investor from america' and a narcissist manager from glasgow all sticking money into a once proud wee ayrshire club turning them into a fake phoney plaything.

When will this pathetic charade end that's the 64,000 dollar question.

Juniors are still dead no matter how much you bleat. You and your ilk sat on your hands and allowed your precious "grade" to wither and die based on a deluded sense of self importance. 

Let me drink your salty salty tears.

Edited by Junior Pub League
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mkennedy said:

Same the place you obv get yours, how do you know ours is the biggest in the league? 

No one sounding daft, the club isn’t reliant on John to pay wages it come from the sources that I have described which is greater than the clubs playing budget. I have no reason to lie if it was was funded buy John I would say it’s nothing to be ashamed about. 

The issue is you think the budget is far greater than actually is, I have said before it will be up there with the top budgets in the division. 
 

Ask the Darvel Legend he has no reason to lie, he knows last season budget it’s the same as this season coming and he will tell you it’s funded from income from the club
 

 

Your budget/expenditure in the last few seasons has included major ground refurbishment such as new changing rooms, at least for the home team as the away team don't get heating or hot water (it wasn't as funny as was made out btw), floodlights, new playing surface, GPS units for training, wages for SFL players (maybe with signing bonuses?). All this in a short space of time at a club who, with all due respect, haven't won anything yet. Calling it sponsorship is the just a front for the fact that it's privately funded. No-one is kidded and tbh it's strange that you want to kid people.

The problem with the pair of you giving more interviews than Harry and Meghan is that you give away a lot of information. You shouldn't be surprised when you're called out on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Your budget/expenditure in the last few seasons has included major ground refurbishment such as new changing rooms, at least for the home team as the away team don't get heating or hot water (it wasn't as funny as was made out btw), floodlights, new playing surface, GPS units for training, wages for SFL players (maybe with signing bonuses?). All this in a short space of time at a club who, with all due respect, haven't won anything yet. Calling it sponsorship is the just a front for the fact that it's privately funded. No-one is kidded and tbh it's strange that you want to kid people.

The problem with the pair of you giving more interviews than Harry and Meghan is that you give away a lot of information. You shouldn't be surprised when you're called out on it.

I’m not trying to kid anyone I have said publicly that John has paid for all the infrastructure cost. We both have said that, what you where talking about was the playing budget and that is covered by club.

Are we not allowed to invest in infrastructure cause we haven’t won’t anything. How dare we try and show ambition

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mkennedy said:

I’m not trying to kid anyone I have said publicly that John has paid for all the infrastructure cost. We both have said that, what you where talking about was the playing budget and that is covered by club.

Are we not allowed to invest in infrastructure cause we haven’t won’t anything. How dare we try and show ambition

 

 

That's not what the point was about. Of course it's great to see grounds being improved and clubs like yours advancing.

The point is that when the interviewer referred to accusations of buying success, the chairman responded by claiming the "massive profit" that will be made when fans come back. There isn't going to be profit for a long time based on the expenditure therefore it's being disingenuous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's not what the point was about. Of course it's great to see grounds being improved and clubs like yours advancing.

The point is that when the interviewer referred to accusations of buying success, the chairman responded by claiming the "massive profit" that will be made when fans come back. There isn't going to be profit for a long time based on the expenditure therefore it's being disingenuous. 

There will be profit the only way there wouldn’t be profit if the club was in debt due to the infrastructure investment that isn’t the case.  If the club is left with a surplus at the end of the coming season which is projected then that will be the clubs money.

I suppose we could go back on forth, I need to go sell some chicken tho

Hope you have a good day ! 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's not what the point was about. Of course it's great to see grounds being improved and clubs like yours advancing.

The point is that when the interviewer referred to accusations of buying success, the chairman responded by claiming the "massive profit" that will be made when fans come back. There isn't going to be profit for a long time based on the expenditure therefore it's being disingenuous. 

Isn't darvels infrastructure funded by supporters the same way talbot and every other club who raise money to allow them to upgrade there parks 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...