Israel Vs Scotland 28th March

Gordopolis

11 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The quality of teams includes the number 1 team in the world twice, 6 games against other teams that have qualified for the euros and Serbia away.

Not sure how good you think we should be, but barring the continued issues with Israel I wouldn't say he's had results worse than I'd expect

The nations league tournament has meant that we have played more games against a lower standard of opposition than what any Scottish manager has gone through before. We are massively underperforming. This campaign is effectively over already. 

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Difference is, McGregor hasn't hit his aging curve yet. It'll come eventually - only Tom Brady can defy nature. But given that he's been by far and away the best keeper in Scotland this year, produced excellent displays in Europe and just made one of the best saves of his career a few weeks ago, it's pretty clear McGregor hasn't hit terminal decline yet.

And by all accounts followed up his wonder save with a brain fart in the return game?

What's sauce for Marshall is sauce for McGregor as well - so careful how you go there.

Marshall didn't cover himself in glory tonight, however better get used he's going to the Euros - barring injury - on merit.

McGregor - excellent goalie though he is - has burned his bridges with Scotland for other reasons and to bring him back now ahead of Marshall, Gordon and McLaughlin would be poor management by Clarke, and I would figure not be very popular with the vast majority of the support.

The problem isn't the goalkeeper, it's the approach to overcoming our opponents. Tonight was a case study in that regard.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Just now, edinabear said:

The nations league tournament has meant that we have played more games against a lower standard of opposition than what any Scottish manager has gone through before. We are massively underperforming. This campaign is effectively over already. 

Massively underperforming is nonsense tbh.

The only team ranked below us who've beaten us under Clarke is Israel, once.

Getting hounded off Kazakhstan is massively underperforming

3 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I was arguing with someone about this, who said it wasn't because we could go 2nd on Wednesday and you don't know what else will happen.

We have 2 points with 8 games left, which include Denmark twice and Austria away. Realistically I think we will need 20 points from 24 to finish 2nd. I can't see us picking up more than 16, 18 at an absolute push.

If 18/20 points is enough to finish 2nd i'll eat my hat.

Our failure to beat the 87th ranked team in the world in any of the last 3 group meetings has cost us a World Cup playoff spot twice, a place in Pot 2 for these WC Qualifiers, and a spot in League A of the Nations League.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Andy Robertson has an EPL and Champions League winners medal and the context right now is whether or not he should be dropped, as we're four points off top after two games.

1 )  Let down once again by players from " big " clubs

2 )  Players not intelligent enough to play 3 - 5 - 2 , whatever , properly

3 )  If we go back to a back 4 who plays in it , and who plays in front of them ?

Does Tierney play LCB to let Robertson play at LFB ?                                                       Who plays RCB ?

Who plays in front of Robertson if he plays LFB ?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I was arguing with someone about this, who said it wasn't because we could go 2nd on Wednesday and you don't know what else will happen.

We have 2 points with 8 games left, which include Denmark twice and Austria away. Realistically we will need 20 points from 24 to finish 2nd. I can't see us picking up more than 16, 18 at an absolute push.

If 18/20 points is enough to finish 2nd i'll eat my hat.

If Denmark beat Austria twice then we wouldn't need 20 points IMO. 15 from the remaining games against Israel/Faroes/Moldova and a win in Vienna would be enough.

I'd suggest that's unlikely and we would have more leeway if we hadn't shat the bed this week.

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

6 matches against Israel, 1 win.

I guess we just keep on playing them till our superior quality averages out in results, eh?  How many games do you think will take?

Another 6 if we continue to sit off them. There's a reason most of our team play in the best league in the world and none of theirs do. Our players are significantly better than theirs. The vast majority of their squad play in Israel. That means they're shite, that's why they play there.

1 minute ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The only team ranked below us who've beaten us under Clarke is Israel, once.

Getting hounded off Kazakhstan is massively underperforming

We have a team full of premiership players who are playing well for their individual sides. Of course we're massively underperforming. 

Using world ranking as a way to justify your point just shows how bad scotland have performed over the years. 

I'm not happy with defeat. Too many people have a defeatist attitude when it comes to Scotland. This side could be so much more. 

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Andy Robertson has an EPL and Champions League winners medal and the context right now is whether or not he should be dropped, as we're four points off top after two games.

Anyone calling for Robertson to be dropped isn't work paying attention to

Just now, ewan14 said:

1 )  Let down once again by players from " big " clubs

2 )  Players not intelligent enough to play 3 - 5 - 2 , whatever , properly

3 )  If we go back to a back 4 who plays in it , and who plays in front of them ?

Does Tierney play LCB to let Robertson play at LFB ?                                                       Who plays RCB ?

Who plays in front of Robertson if he plays LFB ?

It was evidently the wrong formation.

i don't mind trying to nullify the best sides but clarke must now change his ways against teams like israel and even austria, and lets be honest the danes arent exactly exceptional there no reason why we cant have a go from now on.

we have a group of players who are now more used to playing in teams that keep the ball or press, its not walter smith or mcleish days anymore, we are not suited to that style of play anymore.

Robertson, tierney, mcginn, mctominay  all play with sides that are either happy in possession or press aggressively, hanley and mclean play with a side that like to play at a good tempo and keep the ball albeit at a lower level.

the celtic contingent are used to dominating the ball, armstrong and adams play the high press too and like to get the ball down and play at a good tempo, i could name a few more but we arent a team thats going to play tiki taka but we are a team who should be getting in the faces of opposition and not sitting back and being passive. i truly believe a bit more aggression off the ball and we wont be arguing who starts at LB or CM , or even the subs being made, we'd start to convert these draws into wins.

Really, really disappointing result.  When you watch the goal we scored and some of the chances we created it feels even more frustrating in the manner in which we set ourselves up first half.  Israel going forward are clearly a technically reasonable side, Solomon in particular.  But at the back they were jittery, any semblance of pressure on them and the unforced error count jumped up considerably.  Yet why, after we equalised, we didn't continue to pressure them into those sort of unforced errors, baffles me.

Time and time again we've shown we cannot set up to defend against anyone.  We don't have the players to do that.  If we get in the opponents faces, like we did in parts against Austria and Israel and we show that we have quality in the advanced positions.

I'm not sure you can lay this all at Steve Clarke's door.  How many times can we keep changing manager and keep repeating the same old story we always do.  We were bemoaning the sit back and admire teams creating chances against us when Levein, Burley, Strachan and McLeish were in charge.  Do we just keep swapping out managers or look at what actually is the main problems.

As a squad we appear to be a lot stronger than we've been for a while.  It just frustrates the life out of me that we don't seem to back that up with performances to match. 

I thought Adams and Fraser were really good tonight, Adams showed a lot of threat.  I actually don't think playing him and Dykes up front would have worked personally, in fact if we were to have played a two up front, perhaps having Nisbet up there with Adams, with Fraser in behind, would have been a better option.

Surely we'll beat the Faroes on Wednesday but it's going to need a really good performance and manner of victory to give Steve Clarke any kind of leeway methinks.

Guest bernardblack

Taking Fraser off was criminal, there was zero pace in the team that finished the game. 

Hanley hoofing the ball up the park aimlessly at the end was infuriating. If I saw a centre half for Forfar do that I’d go ballistic, never mind an international footballer. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Anyone calling for Robertson to be dropped isn't work paying attention to

The people at least considering it a possibility include a handful of Scotland internationals who actually qualified for world cups. That it's even being discussed is a clear indicator that we're underperforming.