Israel Vs Scotland 28th March

Gordopolis

27 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I'd go with this, Tierney pushing into midfield if needed for his bursts forward. Opposition completely failed to pick him up doing this. 

McGinn attacking as much as possible. Perhaps even McGregor on the right to help ODonnell out. 

scotland-israelv2-33f48cbcba09fd1d745c98fe6b4a6608.jpg

I actually like the look of that. On paper it looks more defensive than the way we play, but with Christie and Fraser on the wings would be anything but. 

Would allow them to link up with the wingbacks and get a performance out of Robertson and give supply to the striker. We got hardly any crosses into the box for Dykes the other night.

15 hours ago, still_game said:

last time v Israel Robertson got nullified due to the Israeli full back getting to far forward and pushing him back, so i would suggest a 4-2-31 would be a better option to help Robertson out when requied to nullify the full back, you also have to look out for Soloman [the Donetsk player] hes the one who feeds Zahavi, could we not play mctominay and mclean together, with mcginn further forward with christie and adams, and dykes as the sole man up front. not a lover of mcgregor at scotland level, he never seems to have a decent game, and jury is still out on Armstrong. Fraser makes things happen so if he does not start a sub app to save legs might be a good option. Can Tierney play as a RCD?  Gallagher would not be a bad option otherwise,  possibly with McKenna, Hendry, or even Hanley [even though im not a lover of him]

Get Hanley in for his aerial prowess at set pieces and at the back.  Hanley>McKenna, in my opinion.

I wouldn't have McGregor in the squad nevermind on the pitch unless in an attacking role. We have many options in attacking  role, so only have him if players out injured.

McGregor is too lazy defensively.

Agree on Solomon nullify him. Zahavi and Dabbur can't score if they don't get service.

Israel back line is shaky to say the least, we must exploit this.

On 26/03/2021 at 11:52, TheScarf said:

It's kind of the perfect storm for the Scotland National Team at the moment - players playing at top English clubs and a finally a manager who knows what he's doing.

The perfect storm and we’re still mostly unwatchable and struggle to win games. What a time to be alive.

I'd go this tomorrow. The defence ain't gonna change as we need to bed them in.

So I'd want to employ Fraser to try to pull wide and pin Dasa back as often as possible. It also would allow him to link with the striker. I would try Adams and bring Dykes on early to mid second half against a tiring Israel backline.

Obviously McGinn would be pushed on with McTominay and McGregor acting as the 6 and 8 respectively.

Having been in Haifa for the McLeish shitshow, Israel away gives me the fear. I hope I'm wrong but fear another 1-0 loss.Screenshot_20210327-171022_Chrome.jpeg

How many will play the three games?  
The centre-backs and Marshall will be able to. McGinn started every game in the last couple of triple-headers, and Christie started all three in November. I think Dykes and O'Donnell might have done it in the October games but we didn't have Adams or Palmer in that squad so they don't necessarily need to this time.

I'll say Marshall, McGinn, McTominay*, Tierney and probably Hanley will start all three.

*He might drop back into the back three for the Faroes.

ETA: In terms of just playing in every game, I'd add Christie and McGregor to that. Perhaps Dykes too.

Let's be honest about this, Israel have outplayed us over the slew of recent match and we've won 1 of 5 and that was at home.

Finding it hard to see a team that handed Austria the initiative multiple times at Hampden going away from home and winning.

Would love to be surprised but don't see it.

We needed to beat Austria, now everyone is saying beat Israel away and we still have a chance, then we won't beat Israel away and everyone will be like beat Austrian away and take 4 points of Denmark and on and on until it's over.

You need to put down results, we just don't do that.

I’ve been looking at the games since the proper qualification (non nations league) qualification group ends as I’m just writing that off. Since then we’ve had 9 games:

3 wins- Czech twice and Slovakia 

4 draws- Austria, Israel twice and Serbia 

2 defeats- Israel and Slovakia 

I have used the FlashScore app (may not be the most reliable) and there has been two matches where we have had over 50% of the possession. Those were the two defeats. 

My very amateur analysis but it sort of rings true to what I saw on Thursday in that we were so threatening sacrificing a midfielder and chucking Adams with Dykes. I wonder if it’s worth playing Dykes and Adams from the start. Just sacrifice having the ball and breaking quick and pummelling balls into the box when we do have it. 

I don’t think we suit having the ball at all, especially with guys like O’Donnell and Hanley. Also just think our formation doesn’t get remotely the best out of Christie or Armstrong, they end up playing so much of the game facing their own goal with the ball that they become a de-facto striker and they look like fools trying to hold it up and give it away as there is literally nothing ahead of them. Why not just play guys who can do that (dykes and Adams) then maybe sub whichever doesn’t start on when the game is more stretched? The one who does start gets two guys ahead of him to play it in to, there’s flaws in this clearly but it’s what I’d do 

I'd love to see a back 4 tonight, with sod and tierney as the full backs (not too fussed with who the centre halves are).

Mctommy and mcgregor holding (or mclean for mcgregor)

Armstrong, mcginn, and Christie

Adams

Surely its Adams that starts now. Surely.

I also ate that armstrong wasn't great the other night but he's been brilliant for saints recently. Robbo needs a break, and I'd keep fraser's pace to come off the bench.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I'd love to see a back 4 tonight, with sod and tierney as the full backs (not too fussed with who the centre halves are).

Mctommy and mcgregor holding (or mclean for mcgregor)

Armstrong, mcginn, and Christie

Adams

Surely its Adams that starts now. Surely.

I also ate that armstrong wasn't great the other night but he's been brilliant for saints recently. Robbo needs a break, and I'd keep fraser's pace to come off the bench.

Exactly, I cant understand the clamour to play the same formation against them when its never worked for us.

Think it is a hard team to pick tonight in the forward positions. Could Fraser play as RWB? I can’t remember what Israel’s left hand side is like - it could affect the balance of the side too much but it allows us an extra attacking player in the side. 

Marshall 

Hendry              Hanley           Tierney 

Fraser                                                            Robertson 
                         McGregor  McTominay 

McGinn              Christie 

Adams