Israel Vs Scotland 28th March

Gordopolis

This "back door" pish can get straight in the bin. If the Nations League hadn't existed then there would have still been play-offs for the Euros, and we finished 3rd in our group anyway.
As did Serbia. I had a look at all the teams who finished third this morniny and from what I can remember, there wasn't anyone who would've caused much more concern than Serbia.

These two games were a missed opportunity. 

Austria were given too much respect at Hampden, and we should really be beating Israel.

Clarke's tactics seem to consist of standing off and allow the other team to have the ball, and retreating backwards to get men between them and our goal to stop them from breaking us down. If the idea was to let them come forward then hit them on the break then it would be fair enough, but we didn't even do that very well.

A few times on sunday night, we just cleared the ball back to Israel and let them come at us again.

I was very disappointed that we didn't press more, or showed as much attacking endeavour as I would have liked.

Austria and Israel are competent sides with some good players (and in Austria's case - a bona-fide baller in Alaba) but they are not really any better than us. Get these negative tactics in the fucking bin. 

Edited by Richey Edwards

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This "back door" pish can get straight in the bin. If the Nations League hadn't existed then there would have still been play-offs for the Euros, and we finished 3rd in our group anyway.

That's a bit silly when placed in a historical context.  3rd place had only very recently become of any value, and only in the Euros, not World Cups.

It happened that we finished 3rd in that instance, but the back door would have been ajar, even had we finished bottom.  

Similarly, it would be ajar right now despite our crumby start, had we not been too busy still doing a conga.

Describing it as a back door is perfectly legitimate and accurate, even if we keep Kenneth Williams free of it.

Play like this in the Euros and it's not going to matter whether we got in through the front door, the back door, or were teleported in by the Starship Enterprise: we'll be staring at two points after three games and another three years of spectating.

38 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Play like this in the Euros and it's not going to matter whether we got in through the front door, the back door, or were teleported in by the Starship Enterprise: we'll be staring at two points after three games and another three years of spectating.

If we play like we did the last week I would argue that’s an ambitious points total. I would expect all 3 in our group to beat us if we don’t improve from those two performances.

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

These two games were a missed opportunity. 

Austria were given too much respect at Hampden, and we should really be beating Israel.

Yep...we gave them both too much time and space and let them dictate the game. When we did decide to play we looked the better team . Then when we did equalise we just reverted against Israel.

23 minutes ago, Need2Speak2Caesar said:

Yep...we gave them both too much time and space and let them dictate the game. When we did decide to play we looked the better team . Then when we did equalise we just reverted against Israel.

Yeah, we looked a lot better when we were chasing an equaliser. Imagine how good we would look if we were chasing leads instead of equalisers.

If you give any team as much time and space as we gave Austria and Israel, you are just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if the Faroe Islands hold us to a draw tomorrow night.

Some of the reactions on here man. There's a long way to go. We need to beat the Danes at home and the Austrians away. It's still doable. I wouldn't expect Austria to be a shoe in for 6/6 vs Israel either. Not would I expect Denmark to get 6/6 vs Austria. Who are folk wanting to replace Clarke anyway it's mad. Israel away was always going to be tough for us.

We can cling onto the Serbia away performance - we massively outplayed them over the 90 and could/should have bagged a second goal before their last minute equaliser.

If we can summon the attitude and approach of that night we can bloody Denmark's nose.

34 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Some of the reactions on here man. There's a long way to go. We need to beat the Danes at home and the Austrians away. It's still doable. 

I think the reactions have a lot to do with the fact that doing those things is an awful lot less likely, than winning the two games we've played would have been beforehand.

Yes, it's possible, but a long shot.  That long shot has become necessary because of how we've started.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah, we looked a lot better when we were chasing an equaliser. Imagine how good we would look if we were chasing leads instead of equalisers.

If you give any team as much time and space as we gave Austria and Israel, you are just asking for trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if the Faroe Islands hold us to a draw tomorrow night.

Clarke will be given his jotters if that happens. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Beat the Danes lol. If they've nothing to play for? Maybe. But it's the fact we DO NOW need to beat them. I'm sure you get that.

But there are folk saying there's nothing to play for now so sack the manager. I'm sure you get why that's nonsense.

If you want to qualify for the world cup then you have to beat sides like Denmark. They're not unbeatable even if we are underdogs. If you don't have belief in that then what business have we being in Qatar anyway?

13 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Clarke will be given his jotters if that happens. 

I really doubt that he'd be replaced before the tournament that he coached us to qualify for, no matter how easy our route there was.

Incidentally, watching a couple of Serbia's games in the past week was a reminder of how well we muzzled Mitrovic (or how poor a game he had, delete as appropriate). Imagine if we had a striker that deadly.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'm struggling to think of a manager who is less deserving of the sack right now than Steve Clarke. Utterly mental to be talking about emptying him. 

Two defeats in 13 matches, having taken over a side basically at rock bottom in terms of confidence. Took us from getting pumped by Kazakhstan to qualifying for a major tournament within 18 months, but let's bin him because he drew a couple of winnable games.

We appear to live in a quantum world where Scotland are simultaneously shite and expected to win every single game. It's the same posters with both opinions too.