Israel Vs Scotland 28th March

Gordopolis

Just now, Thumper said:

limping over the line. one scuffed penalty and Clarke would be updating his LinkedIn profile tonight.

Thats unfair, the performance against serbia was great. We were unlucky not to win that game over 90 mins. 

It was a performance the likes of we hadn't seen in a long time.

He needs to learn how to play against the weaker teams tho. Just sticking with the same formation is a bizzare way to go about it.

8 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We have half a team of Premiership players.  The back line isn't, which is why we are set-up in a formation to deal with that.

World rankings aren't foolproof but they're a far better guide.than most folk think.  Certainly better than the folk who look at Denmark and decide they're average because they don't.have any clue what they're talking about.

We didn't lose

Last time I checked Tierney and Robertson were playing in the Prem. 

If you think our level is drawing with Israel then you may as well give up. 

I bet you're one of those tartan army footsoldiers who applauded the side when we lost 3-0 to Morocco 

As for the game itself, the first 20 minutes were infuriating. It was clear that Israel were nervy as f**k, making all sorts of bad choices with the ball, but Scotland made no sort of effort to do anything about them, allowing Israel to settle down instead of trying to punish them. Which acted as an indicator for how the rest of the half was going to go.

We really shouldn't have been in the position we were in going in to the second half. We have players to beat Israel and we didn't play like that.

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats unfair, the performance against serbia was great. We were unlucky not to win that game over 90 mins. 

It was a performance the likes of we hadn't seen in a long time.

He needs to learn how to play against the weaker teams tho. Just sticking with the same formation is a bizzare way to go about it.

Just to confirm: putting on brave, gutsy performances against teams that are definitely better than us, and then shitting the bed against the fourth seeds, has been the playbook for the last thirty years.

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

A point at home to Austria - a team that are probably better than us - isn't shitting the bed. It's a decent result.

A point in Israel is disappointing. But the pant-wetting "It's all over! Clarke out!" stuff is an overreaction. 

Chopping and changing the manager every three years isn't a particularly effective solution. 

It's not. See my earlier post.

Finishing 2nd from here is a huge ask.

Just now, Thumper said:

Just to confirm: putting on brave, gutsy performances against teams that are definitely better than us, and then shitting the bed against the fourth seeds, has been the playbook for the last thirty years.

Winning playoff matches to qualify for tournaments certainly has not.

40 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This was a better result than the draw at home to Austria.

You've got to win home matches and stop your rivals picking up full points at their place.

We have very little chance of winning away from home against any half decent team, we are just not good enough, so home wins are absolutely what it's all about.

We weren't playing a half decent team tonight. Teams who qualify for tournaments don't drop points against lower seeds. Israel are a team you need to take six points from six against, as Denmark and Austria will.

Just as dropping points v Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Georgia, Macedonia, Wales, Lithuania, Macedonia, Georgia, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania and the Faroe Islands has cost us in every group going back to 2004, not taking six points from Israel leaves us looking for snookers already.

A draw at home to your direct qualification rivals isn't ideal but isn't necessarily a disaster. On the other hand every game v the fourth, fifth and sixth seeds is must win.

Until we start taking 18 points from 18 against those teams, we won't be finishing in the top two of groups.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Winning playoff matches to qualify for tournaments certainly has not.

Big whoop. As per previously: we're on course to pick up a point or two in an empty Hampden and then get scudded to the ends of the earth in an empty Wembley. Clarke's expertise in eeking out draws is no longer applicable.

Just now, Thumper said:

Big whoop. As per previously: we're on course to pick up a point or two in an empty Hampden and then get scudded to the ends of the earth in an empty Wembley. Clarke's expertise in eeking out draws is no longer applicable.

Qualifying for a major tournament for the first time in over 20 years. Is very much "big whoop"

Its Massive whoop

Edited by BingMcCrosby

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Qualifying for a major tournament for the first time in over 20 years. Is very much "big whoop"

No. Given the resources at our disposal it should be the default. Clarke wasn't put in this job to scrape draws against teams ranked 87th in the world (at the sixth attempt), and evidence to suggest we'll have the remotest fucking chance of finishing in the top two of our Euros group is nonexistent right now.

Edited by Thumper

Just now, Thumper said:

No. Given the resources at our disposal it should be the default. Clarke wasn't put in this job to scrape draws against teams ranked 87th in the world, and evidence to suggest we'll have the remotest fucking chance of finishing in the top two of our Euros group is nonexistent right now.

Yeah the 2 games so far have not been good, and nobody's happy.

But if you don't think that qualifying for a major tournament is a major achievement. That should be celebrated and commended. Then its really not worth my while conversing with you further. Cheerio

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

But if you don't think that qualifying for a major tournament is a major achievement. That should be celebrated and commended.

I'm happy we qualified. It has no bearing on tonight. If we don't change tack then we're going to fail embarrassingly as usual, chuck the manager anyway, and be back to square zero. Fucking up at major tournaments was alright when we could be assured of being at the next one, but tonight we're already pretty much assured that we won't.

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not. See my earlier post.

Finishing 2nd from here is a huge ask.

Yip. You can remove the Faroes from the group, so effectively there is only 8 meaningful games. And looking at Moldova's results probably only 6 meaningful games because Austria and Denmark will beat them both comfortably. We've played 2 of the 6 games that will decide qualification and dropped 4 points. There is not 'a long way to go' as I've seen suggested, we are seriously up against it already.

He isn't even in the squad but Billy Gilmour should be starting against the Faroes.  We constantly look absolutely terrified in possession in midfield so why not try a young lad who looks as comfortable on the ball as I've seen in a long time?  We will probably mix it up a bit and start Kenny McLean or John Fleck anyway so why the f**k not Gilmour.  

Wasn't watching the thread tonight, but I think I can guess what the general consensus will have been.

I was more hoping than expecting that we'd manage to beat Israel away, but that's yet another game where we've looked roughly on par with them. It's possible that we could somehow have pulled out a winner, but it was no more likely than them doing so. I had a bit of optimism after the recovery against Austria, but this result means we're done already, barring some very unlikely results. Considering this group is as favourable as we're likely to get without clawing our way up through the pots, that's depressing.

Why on Earth have we been so keen to sit off sides when it hasn't worked for us, and pressing them has been so much more effective? Is the worry that we'll tire, so we'll just save that for the second half when we're chasing the game?  :unsure:

12 minutes ago, Thumper said:

No. Given the resources at our disposal it should be the default. Clarke wasn't put in this job to scrape draws against teams ranked 87th in the world (at the sixth attempt), and evidence to suggest we'll have the remotest fucking chance of finishing in the top two of our Euros group is nonexistent right now.

He was put in the job because we started our last campaign with a 3 nil battering off a tier 5 team then a labored 2 nil away to the worst side in Europe after we'd failed to qualify for the previous 10 tournaments.

Tell me again about these resources?  A championship reserve keeper.  A succession of mediocre Centre halfs.  A limited but game right back.

We've got 2 great left backs, one of whom seems to be becoming the whipping boy of the morons in the support, some good central midfielders and a lack of outstanding strikers.

Apparently qualifying is below the standard expected of these world beaters though.