Israel Vs Scotland 28th March

Gordopolis

Yep, Christie was frustrating in the first half, applying his relatively new 'shoot on sight' policy but his quick thinking to just head it back into the box instead of taking a touch and hooking it back in meant that the Austrian's had no to time to organise which left McGinn unmarked and onside.

What about Robertson at right back with Armstrong in front of him? Palmer, O'Donnell, Tierney, Jack are all considered for that role but Robertson seems to be unmoveable. We are not getting the best of Robertson at the moment so we wouldn't be sacrificing anything, if asked to do a role at right back would he not be able to give us a solid defensive display at least? 

Tierney is playing better than him at LB at the moment, I think he's earned the chance to play that position. 

What I think is the biggest issue for this game is legs.

Its an enormous ask of players physically to play a tough game last night on a heavy pitch then fly to Israel and beat them three days later.

So it makes sense to freshen the team up purely for legs.

We have four players who are essentially undroppable because to change them would diminish the quality of the side - Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and I can't remember the other one just now.

We have quite few players who could come in without altering the quality of the side. McGregor, Fraser, McKenna, Gallagher, Adams, Palmer and MacLean. Maybe even Gordon.

That's eight. I wouldn't expect to see eight changes but certainly at least three or four would be sensible imo. And I would definitely want to see Fraser and Adams start as pace can be such an asset and can make a big difference to us, especially away from home. 

5 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

What I think is the biggest issue for this game is legs.

Its an enormous ask of players physically to play a tough game last night on a heavy pitch then fly to Israel and beat them three days later.

So it makes sense to freshen the team up purely for legs.

We have four players who are essentially undroppable because to change them would diminish the quality of the side - Tierney, Robertson, McTominay and I can't remember the other one just now.

We have quite few players who could come in without altering the quality of the side. McGregor, Fraser, McKenna, Gallagher, Adams, Palmer and MacLean. Maybe even Gordon.

That's eight. I wouldn't expect to see eight changes but certainly at least three or four would be sensible imo. And I would definitely want to see Fraser and Adams start as pace can be such an asset and can make a big difference to us, especially away from home. 

McGinn maybe?

It's kind of the perfect storm for the Scotland National Team at the moment - players playing at top English clubs and a finally a manager who knows what he's doing.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's kind of the perfect storm for the Scotland National Team at the moment - players playing at top English clubs and a finally a manager who knows what he's doing.

Yeah Clarke is doing a really good job and he seems to have the respect of the players...Lets hope we get it right for the Israel match, We owe them one.

Israel have our number, and our respective formations nullify each other almost entirely.  The difference is that they have a true international striker in Zahari, and Dabbur isn't bad either.

Changing up formation to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 might be a better approach to reduce their effectiveness.  Either that (and?) approach the game like we did against Serbia.  Serbia are significantly more technical than Israel - they would surely cope even worse than the Serbs did, who simply couldn't get into the game.

Perhaps Fraser on for Christie - more pace and trickery. I thought Christie was the least impactful of our "game-changing" players.  He's not a had a great season (other than Turnbull, has anyone at Celtic?)

Tierney had a fantastic game.  I wonder if he's even needed to be brought to LB - Israel will look to nullify Robertson again, but that may just open the game up for Tierney to drive from the back.

I'd start Dykes again, bringing on Adams with 30 to play.  I'd then consider starting Dykes and Adams against the Faroes, possible with a Christie or Fraser in behind them as well.

Sunday is a real test of our progression in tactics, ability and mindset. Appreciate we got to Euros which has brought a feel good factor but let's be honest we fell over the line through a back door.
If we really have progressed it's imperative that we deliver a professional performance against Israel just like the Danes did. If we limp to a draw or worse still a loss, then I'm not too sure Clarke has taken this team forward.

33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Sunday is a real test of our progression in tactics, ability and mindset. Appreciate we got to Euros which has brought a feel good factor but let's be honest we fell over the line through a back door.
If we really have progressed it's imperative that we deliver a professional performance against Israel just like the Danes did. If we limp to a draw or worse still a loss, then I'm not too sure Clarke has taken this team forward.

Surely it’s pretty evident he has taken the team forward regardless of the outcome on Sunday... there are numerous things which point towards that.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Deservedly knocking out Serbia, a team who comfortably pumped Norway, isn't 'falling in the back door'.

He took over an absolute shambles and has clearly made us a) far harder to beat and b) mentally far more resilient.  

We've not been great against Israel, though we 100% should have won the last game over there bar some awful finishing and decision making.

Sunday will tell us if we've stepped on again, or if there's still a level we're stuck at but saying we haven't moved forward if we draw or lose there is surely wrong

Part of the reason Tierney was so effective was down to the fact he was playing left centre back and nobody was marking him.  Why anyone would suggest moving him out of that position is beyond me, particularly if it means dropping Robertson.

In reality it will be the same formation with a couple of changes.  I'd imagine McGregor will start instead of Christie and potentially Adams over Dykes.

Fraser and Christie as options off the bench if we need a goal.

last time v Israel Robertson got nullified due to the Israeli full back getting to far forward and pushing him back, so i would suggest a 4-2-31 would be a better option to help Robertson out when requied to nullify the full back, you also have to look out for Soloman [the Donetsk player] hes the one who feeds Zahavi, could we not play mctominay and mclean together, with mcginn further forward with christie and adams, and dykes as the sole man up front. not a lover of mcgregor at scotland level, he never seems to have a decent game, and jury is still out on Armstrong. Fraser makes things happen so if he does not start a sub app to save legs might be a good option. Can Tierney play as a RCD?  Gallagher would not be a bad option otherwise,  possibly with McKenna, Hendry, or even Hanley [even though im not a lover of him]

Just now, still_game said:

last time v Israel Robertson got nullified due to the Israeli full back getting to far forward and pushing him back, so i would suggest a 4-2-31 would be a better option to help Robertson out when requied to nullify the full back, you also have to look out for Soloman [the Donetsk player] hes the one who feeds Zahavi, could we not play mctominay and mclean together, with mcginn further forward with christie and adams, and dykes as the sole man up front. not a lover of mcgregor at scotland level, he never seems to have a decent game, and jury is still out on Armstrong. Fraser makes things happen so if he does not start a sub app to save legs might be a good option. Can Tierney play as a RCD?  Gallagher would not be a bad option otherwise,  possibly with McKenna, Hendry, or even Hanley [even though im not a lover of him]

Solomon is a cracking player, his close control and dribbling are brilliant. He reads the movement of defenders so well. Which allows him to turn into space. He seems to have so much time on the ball. He's only 21, I expect he will go onto have a brilliant career. If he's on the left hand side for them it would be wise for us to match him against Tierney rather than O'donnell.

Hes the main one who we should be worried about.

I'd agree partially about mcgregor, I thought we was excellent against serbia. But previous to that hes had some very very quiet games.

Marshall

o’donnell hendry Hanley tierney robertson

mctominay 

christie mcginn Fraser 

adams  

I’d like this but I think the chances of it happening are small , happy enough for dykes,mcgregor or McKenna to be in but time will tell