The Daft Willie Rennie thread

Saltire

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Kirstene Hair is an ex-politician.

Though Douglas Ross has appointed her as an adviser, presumably on the basis of her obvious political acumen and steel-trap mind.

"Moar broadbands!"

He appeared to be failing to complete Connect 4 today (on STV) but he will be returned once more.  IN Moray Ross's leaflet which arrived today the SNP get 23 mentions/the SCUP 23/ /Labour 4 but Willie only gets one. Mind you the Baroness still gets hal a page to witter on about peach party ballot. Not quite binned it yet. I may keep it for future chats with my few Unionist friends. 
I bought a fire pit yesterday.

Our tory propaganda came today, so at least they have done something useful......

Willie Rennie is a competent politician doing a job that has no expectation levels. 

Hold what you've got, + or - 1 seat and he'll be ok. Ultimately that's his game plan.

I actually think you take the constitution off the table and a lot of Scottish voters would align with the Lib Dems in terms of being socially liberal, economically moderately centre-left and generally internationalist.

However despite being Liberal and Democratic... they don't seem to care that a majority of Scottish MSPs want a referendum, want us to be in the EU and don't want us to have nuclear weapons. But these choices are foisted upon us and they are just fine with that. 

Edited by Piehutt

I could've selected other threads but here we are.

Good Morning Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland had a most extraordinary interview with the disgraced David Steel this morning.

I had hoped that since he "stepped back from public life" we would hear no more from him.

In case anyone requires a reminder, he turned a blind eye to child abuse and rather than fully address his frailties, it seems to me he struck a grubby deal.

He was introduced this morningas Lord Steel, so perhaps he hasn't quite quit the Lords or maybe he's clinging on to the prestige.

The sycophantic recollections in the interview from 2:06:25 into the programme gave quite an insight to the mindset of a cohort that revels in the comfort within a class structure.

Why the BBC hired him and why the Lib Dems presumably sanctioned the appearance is baffling.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

The sycophantic recollections in the interview from 2:06:25 into the programme gave quite an insight to the mindset of a cohort that revels in the comfort within a class structure.

Why the BBC hired him and why the Lib Dems presumably sanctioned the appearance is baffling.

Seems an appropriate time of year for this. 

E34C91B2-0F93-44D7-8E4A-D94B30C5D617.jpeg

Steel was on The Nine tonight also.

I happen to think that if we can accept that it is best for all that rather than be further disgraced, someone retired in shame should permanently keep their own counsel, then that deal should not be broken.

On 02/04/2021 at 18:25, Piehutt said:

Willie Rennie is a competent politician doing a job that has no expectation levels. 

Hold what you've got, + or - 1 seat and he'll be ok. Ultimately that's his game plan.

I actually think you take the constitution off the table and a lot of Scottish voters would align with the Lib Dems in terms of being socially liberal, economically moderately centre-left and generally internationalist.

However despite being Liberal and Democratic... they don't seem to care that a majority of Scottish MSPs want a referendum, want us to be in the EU and don't want us to have nuclear weapons. But these choices are foisted upon us and they are just fine with that. 

I agree, but when they got into office at UK level they were very much not socially liberal and economically moderately centre-left. That's why they fell from 16.2% on the constituency vote and 11.3% on the region in 2007, with 11 constituencies, to 7.9% and 5.2% and only the Northern Isles constituencies, just a year into the coalition government.

In a crowded field in PR elections they've lost environmentalists and progressives to the Greens, "nationalists" to the SNP, hard unionists to the Tories and soft unionists to Labour. They've also lost all their talent. I genuinely don't know what they're for any more.

• 3 weeks later...

On a serious note, recent media interviews including two on TV today have shown that Daft Willie is actually Dangerous Willie. His insistence that even if there is a majority in the SP in favour of Independence, he will oppose a referendum shows that he and his tinpot gang are neither liberal nor democrats.

Of course, he is entitled to campaign for a position where there is not a majority in favour of independence but stating that if he wins only in North East Fife that gives him a mandate to say no to a referendum is extremely dangerous for democracy. It is unlikely he will get 50% of the votes in his constituency if he wins. I think we should arrange a crowd funder to buy him a dictionary and highlight the words liberal and democrat.

On 12/04/2021 at 17:31, sophia said:

I could've selected other threads but here we are.

Good Morning Scotland on BBC Radio Scotland had a most extraordinary interview with the disgraced David Steel this morning.

I had hoped that since he "stepped back from public life" we would hear no more from him.

In case anyone requires a reminder, he turned a blind eye to child abuse and rather than fully address his frailties, it seems to me he struck a grubby deal.

He was introduced this morningas Lord Steel, so perhaps he hasn't quite quit the Lords or maybe he's clinging on to the prestige.

We have a relative who led an armed robbery section of the Met, he was staying with us and after a few beers he started talking about the Jeremy Thorpe fiasco, apparently Thorpe had kept his dark side quiet, until the story blew that is, then the Government fearing many other revelations ordered the Met to carry out investigations on all political public figures, hundreds of officers were deployed on the project, Cyril Smith was  found to 'a smallee boy merchant', (our relatives words), yet nothing was done.

He also told us that, ' Ken Livingstone was living on his salary' as if that was unbelievable, which suggested that many others at the time might not be.

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

On a serious note, recent media interviews including two on TV today have shown that Daft Willie is actually Dangerous Willie. His insistence that even if there is a majority in the SP in favour of Independence, he will oppose a referendum shows that he and his tinpot gang are neither liberal nor democrats.

Of course, he is entitled to campaign for a position where there is not a majority in favour of independence but stating that if he wins only in North East Fife that gives him a mandate to say no to a referendum is extremely dangerous for democracy. It is unlikely he will get 50% of the votes in his constituency if he wins. I think we should arrange a crowd funder to buy him a dictionary and highlight the words liberal and democrat.

Not the first words I would have highlighted if I were to buy him a dictionary...

8 hours ago, Saltire said:

I agree. I saw him today on Marr and his smirky smile was present no matter what question was put to him. He (wrongly) claimed that the 2014 Referendum was so wounding that we should never have another, and that 2016 was worse. He then said he would campaign  to persuade voters to rejoin the EU - surely that would   mean another worse and divisive Referendum?  WWR is a self serving careerist, who will however get re-elected with Tory votes.