The Daft Willie Rennie thread

Saltire

5 minutes ago, sophia said:

The BBC are reporting that Alex C-Hamilton "has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way".

Setting aside the Jeremy Thorpe 1970s joke book and given the BBC's obsessive required for balance, I do wonder what his worst traits are?

To paraphrase Noel Gallagher: "He's like a man with a fork in a world of soup".

47 minutes ago, sophia said:

The BBC are reporting that Alex C-Hamilton "has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way".

Setting aside the Jeremy Thorpe 1970s joke book and given the BBC's obsessive required for balance, I do wonder what his worst traits are?

The thing that seems to trigger him the most is the Queensferry Crossing. If it has to close for whatever reason he goes mental on twitter, aligning the closure to what he considers to be a massive SNP failure. With that type of analysis and connection, you do wonder how he navigates through the day.....

On 26/03/2021 at 06:53, KingRocketman II said:

^^^^^ha. some of my favourites below. Willie has led the SLDs to 5 Scottish Parliament seats. 5 MSPs in a system offering a generous PR option - that is quite the failure. Yet they continue with the same mantra, the same focus and crucially, the same constitutional beliefs. Hearing wee Willie (calling him Rennie offers him a respect that just can't be granted) tying himself up in knots when demanding a second EU Exit referendum but justifying the denial of a second indy referendum is truly something to behold. The SLDs epitomises the subservient second class relationship to England/Westminster/the main party that many in Scottish politics and in wider society are at pains to preserve. It is really pathetic and Rennie and the SLDs encapture this perfectly.

a wee funny was when the SLDs were highlighting perceived Scottish education failures by Rennie and 2 others hunched down in a group, pavement chalking some sums outside a school. Someone on twitter replaced the sums with a Ouija board and remarked "here are the lid Dems desperately conjuring up some relevance". Made me choke on my coffee. 

And that perfectly again captures wee Willie. Known for his humorous campaigns and photo opportunities - a newspaper editors dream like John Martin at Airdrie in a cowboy outfit ahead of each Scottish cup tie - but beyond that, known for absolutely nothing else.

NINTCHDBPICT000546168229.jpg

EJqAWkuX0AADFb5.jpg-large.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

NINTCHDBPICT000537180345-e1573038022964.jpg

Josephine looking fine though.

20 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Please be AC-H, please, please, please!

it’ll will be Jim Murphy on steroids (and without the talent)

Alec Cole Hamilton has a huge disadvantage because his name reminds people of thinks that are really unpopular: coal, because of carbon emissions, and Hamilton because no right thinking person likes Hamilton.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is the best place for it until Willie is replaced.

Very fitting that ACH launches his campaign just as the weather turns to shit after 10+ days of glorious sunshine.

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Very fitting that ACH launches his campaign just as the weather turns to shit after 10+ days of glorious sunshine.

It's a shame there's no house on Cramond Island. It could be the Scottish parliament's Craggy Island.

Cole-Hamilton strikes me as someone who should really be a Tory but even they have standards. Albeit not very high ones.

• 3 weeks later...

ACH knows that joining with the Tories has resulted in his party joining the likes of the Alba party, legalise cannabis party and other irrelevant forces in Scottish politics. But he wants to do it all over again, what a mind he has for political strategy.

To be fair, I think the sort of people still voting for the Lib Dems in Scotland, and especially the sort of people voting for Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh Western, would probably be quite comfortable with a close relationship with the Tories.

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

To be fair, I think the sort of people still voting for the Lib Dems in Scotland, and especially the sort of people voting for Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh Western, would probably be quite comfortable with a close relationship with the Tories.

Completely agree, but joining forces with them has resulted to them being punted into the political oblivion. It looks like he wants to finish the job.

I wonder which Liberal Democrat leader (Scottish or otherwise) will come out an admit they absolutely fucked over Charlie Kennedy? Anyone who knew the man, and that was just about anyone who drank in an Inverness pub, will know the man liked the sauce. It was obviously an issue and one that needed support and therapy. I liked Charlie, spoken to him on quite a few occasions, but he did need to cut down on the booze.

The Liberal Democrats, despite trying to champion mental health and personal growth for decades now, threw the lad under the bus. In a classic political, "do as we say, not as we do", move.

It's not the first, nor the last, the Lib Dems have been utterly duplicitous.

On 28/07/2021 at 13:26, 101 said:

Now that is a cute picture, it has both all the Lib Dem MSPs and all their voters in the same picture.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I wonder which Liberal Democrat leader (Scottish or otherwise) will come out an admit they absolutely fucked over Charlie Kennedy? Anyone who knew the man, and that was just about anyone who drank in an Inverness pub, will know the man liked the sauce. It was obviously an issue and one that needed support and therapy. I liked Charlie, spoken to him on quite a few occasions, but he did need to cut down on the booze.

The Liberal Democrats, despite trying to champion mental health and personal growth for decades now, threw the lad under the bus. In a classic political, "do as we say, not as we do", move.

Nah, they’ll just blame the SNP instead 

Just now, Clown Job said:

Nah, they’ll just blame the SNP instead 

You mean like Alasdair Carmichael did, while leaking altered documents when he was a minister in the Lib/Con government?

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

He should have lost his job and suspended sine die for that one.

What a bastart.

Just another example of why nobody should trust the Liberal Democrats.

I'll leave my powder dry regarding the whole David Steel and Cyril Smith aberration.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

An interesting one this, as LibDems will froth at the mouth because it's iAn bLaCkFoRd'S fAuLt

Back when Charlie was leader I wasn't an SNP voter and took little interest in politics, independence or any of that stuff (although like any decent minded person I did enjoy bad things happening to Tories). Charlie, whilst clearly and widely known to overindulge the bevvy, seemed like a good guy who was completely stabbed in the back by his own party. A quick wiki throws this up: 

A "Kennedy Must Go" petition was started by The Liberal magazine (a publication with no affiliation to the Liberal Democrats); this allegedly had been signed by over 3,300 party members including 386 local councillors and two MPs by the end of 2005.[36] A round-robin letter signed by Liberal Democrat MPs rejecting his leadership received 23 signatures

What's remarkable is that they binned him after they won 62 Parliamentary seats under his leadership. They've got about a fifth of that now. Going into coalition with the tories must rank as one of the most spectacular own goals in political history. Silly c***s 😂