Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ross has sent this letter to Sarwar and Rennie:

IMG-20210327-WA0001.thumb.jpg.517dab3e5275325899b22cfe7aa42834.jpg

The final of the three points is interesting and the original wording was “Please make me FM.  Please, please, please, please, please.”

Tories picking up the supermajority message makes perfect sense. If the term gets plastered everywhere then it can feed into the idea that the guaranteed pro-independence majority between SNP & Greens and likely SNP majority by itself shouldn't be a mandate for a referendum and Westminster's refusal of one after this election isn't trampling on democracy. Nonsense of course, but it's worth adopting that rhetoric in order to have that argument because the odds of it backfiring and Alba actually picking up several seats at their expense to create a supermajority are so slim.

As for the letter generally, I assume it's just trying to lay a trap with Labour & the Lib Dems obviously telling them to bolt in response, which will allow them to turn round and maximise their 'we're the only party putting the Union first!' message. Although the spectre of Salmond is probably going to be used to mobilise their vote frequently.

47 minutes ago, sophia said:

Given recent history I should imagine most people would be well served and smart enough to avoid being inveigled into any DRoss strategy.

Even Willie Rennie.

I'm pretty sure this was the approach anyway. I recall last time round that Labour put close to zero effort into areas where a unionist presence was favourite to take the seat. 

This needy pish is not required. 

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Tories picking up the supermajority message makes perfect sense. If the term gets plastered everywhere then it can feed into the idea that the guaranteed pro-independence majority between SNP & Greens and likely SNP majority by itself shouldn't be a mandate for a referendum and Westminster's refusal of one after this election isn't trampling on democracy. Nonsense of course, but it's worth adopting that rhetoric in order to have that argument because the odds of it backfiring and Alba actually picking up several seats at their expense to create a supermajority are so slim.

As for the letter generally, I assume it's just trying to lay a trap with Labour & the Lib Dems obviously telling them to bolt in response, which will allow them to turn round and maximise their 'we're the only party putting the Union first!' message. Although the spectre of Salmond is probably going to be used to mobilise their vote frequently.

Aye, said much the same yesterday. In order to make a gap for himself in the market, Salmond is raising the stakes significantly regarding messaging on what constitutes democratic legitimacy. Fucking reckless tbh

2 hours ago, renton said:

Aye, said much the same yesterday. In order to make a gap for himself in the market, Salmond is raising the stakes significantly regarding messaging on what constitutes democratic legitimacy. Fucking reckless tbh

If Salmond had any serious intent he would have gamed out the options.  I cannot believe that his motivations are anything other than hubris, egotism and revenge.  As such even if he has realised the consequences for Independence might be negative he will not have given a damn.

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I'm not saying she should be advocating people voting Green, I just find it strange that when she listed the pro-independence parties she left out the second largest.  I have noticed some SNP people trying to de-legitimise the Greens support for independence in the past as apparently it's not their "priority".  I know the SNP are the biggest vehicle for independence by a long way, but I do find their "it's my ball" attitude towards it at times quite irritating.

Some people just want their party to have independence at the forefront and smuggle all the shite in underneath.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ross has sent this letter to Sarwar and Rennie:

IMG-20210327-WA0001.thumb.jpg.517dab3e5275325899b22cfe7aa42834.jpg

In case the pro indy parties try to game the election, I invite you publicly to confirm that you will help me game the election.

Does anyone know the sums re first and list votes in Lothian? My mate isn't sure whether it's best to go SNP/SNP or SNP/Green through there if wanting to maximise indy seats 

TIA

Edited by madwullie

Does anyone know the sums re first and list votes in Lothian? My mate isn't sure whether it's best to go SNP/SNP or SNP/Green through there if wanting to maximise indy seats 
TIA
Glasgow SNP Cllr Graham Campbell is top of the SNP Lothian list.

He seems to have stood there as he knew he was unlikely to top the list in Glasgow...

SNP should hopefully hold existing constituencies & maybe take 1 or more of the 3 held by Lab/Lib Dems/Tories, specifically Angus Robertson in Ruth's old seat.

Make of that what you will.

Glasgow SNP Cllr Graham Campbell is top of the SNP Lothian list.

He seems to have stood there as he knew he was unlikely to top the list in Glasgow...

SNP should hopefully hold existing constituencies & maybe take 1 or more of the 3 held by Lab/Lib Dems/Tories, specifically Angus Robertson in Ruth's old seat.

Make of that what you will.
They'll be targeting The Blurt's old constituency in Edinburgh Central as well as Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh Western.

If Cole-Hamilton did lose it, I would celebrate it like I did when Swinson got emptied.

On looking at last elections I think it is definitely good to go SNP on both votes in South of Scotland, might be the case in Edinburgh and i think the Highlands and North East as well.

I would say in West of Scotland, Glasgow & mid lothian areas it probably makes more sense to go Greens on list.

Hope i am allowed to post this link. The second table under each region gives you total list MSP's and List vote shares of each party

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Scottish_Parliament_election

Edited by paolo2143

10 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

On looking at last elections I think it is definitely good to go SNP on both votes in South of Scotland, might be the case in Edinburgh and i think the Highlands and North East as well.

I would say in West of Scotland, Glasgow & mid lothian areas it probably makes more sense to go Greens on list.

Hope i am allowed to post this link. The second table under each region gives you total list MSP's and List vote shares of each party

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Scottish_Parliament_election

Edinburgh is in the Lothian regional list calculations its not separate 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They'll be targeting The Blurt's old constituency in Edinburgh Central as well as Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh Western.

If Cole-Hamilton did lose it, I would celebrate it like I did when Swinson got emptied.

Being in the Edinburgh Western constituency, I’ll hold my nose and vote for the odious Cole-Hamilton, then vote for some no doubt, equally odious Tory on the list.

I’m not sure you’ll get your celebration, much that I can’t be arsed with Cole-Hamilton, he does seem quite popular in this seat. 

Being in the Edinburgh Western constituency, I’ll hold my nose and vote for the odious Cole-Hamilton, then vote for some no doubt, equally odious Tory on the list.
 I’m not sure you’ll get your celebration, much that I can’t be arsed with Cole-Hamilton, he does seem quite popular in this seat. 

That's why I said I would celebrate - I think he's going to hang on.

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

TIA

I've done the numbers for Lothianin 2016 showing Constituency votes, the actual votes for the list, then trhe impact if every vote for the SNP had transferred to them assuming the transfer was between SNP and the Greens and the Greens keep the remainder, the impact would have been one additinal MSP for Labour, one for the SNP and loss of two for the greens.

Constituency

image.png

Actual list allocation

image.png.464c3051abd92253b9b18a25df8cbc7b.png

List with transfer from SNP to Green matching total SNP constituency votes

image.png.224d2bd8aaa63806839bf27175b94464.png

Lothian is the one to watch because if the SNP constituency MSPs go up, it has no impact on it getting an additional list MSP unless it has a whopping share of the second vote. Of course if it loses constituencies it should pick up on the list if its vote share holds up. If i was going to take a risk with my second vote it would be worth considering in Lothian.

Edited by Saltire

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I've done the numbers for Lothianin 2016 showing Constituency votes, the actual votes for the list, then trhe impact if every vote for the SNP had transferred to them assuming the transfer was between SNP and the Greens and the Greens keep the remainder, the impact would have been one additinal MSP for Labour, one for the SNP and loss of two for the greens.

Constituency

image.png.35be208a3796b7404d6f99df4fa002f7.png

Actual list allocation

image.png.464c3051abd92253b9b18a25df8cbc7b.png

List with transfer from SNP to Green matching total SNP constituency votes

image.png.224d2bd8aaa63806839bf27175b94464.png

Lothian is the one to watch because if the SNP constituency MSPs go up, it has no impact on it getting an additional list MSP unless it has a whopping share of the second vote. Of course if it loses constituencies it should pick up on the list if its vote share holds up. If i was going to take a risk with my second vote it would be worth considering in Lothian.

image.png

Thank you

I’m going to be going SNP/Green.

Perthshire South constituency& Mid Scotland & Fife list.

I really want to see Murdo f**k off but highly unlikely to happen. But if he was emptied I’d celebrate all night long.