Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Based on nothing more than guesswork, I think it’ll be Michael Mathieson. He’s done a few cabinet positions before, seems to be vaguely competent and isn’t particularly controversial (unless I’m forgetting something major)

My other guess is that Angus Robertson, provided he gets elected, is an absolute NAP to a cabinet position as well.

I could see Robertson getting Mike Russell's job (Russell is retiring) as cabinet secretary for the Constitution and Europe. His WM experience will surely make him an ideal candidate for this.

Matheson could be a good shout for health sec as his transport job could be a good role to promote someone without cabinet experience into

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't think Nicola Sturgeon is arrogant enough to announce her cabinet before the election.

Why not? Every other party announces what their cabinet will be if elected. This is the purpose of a shadow cabinet.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

It literally doesn't matter how many seats the SNP get, Johnson will push back against a referendum. TBH, it makes more sense to vote SNP in Westminster elections where there is a chance they could demand section 30 powers are leverage in a hung parliament.

Of course, if you think the SNP are the best party to make use of the devolved powers and run the country then it absolutely makes sense to vote for them. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of Scots will do exactly that. But I'd argue that it doesn't make too much sense electing a Scottish Government on the basis that they want independence when Holyrood has zero powers over the matter.

I like to read divergent views and the first paragraph with its inference that the best way to secure a referendum is by not voting snp is certainly the first time I have come across such a proposition.

I also like the second paragraph but would take issue with the idea that the snp is more popular than they actually are. Last time around they got twice the votes of labour and twice the votes of the tolies, but they didn't manage to extend to "millions" of confirmed supporters.

Just now, sophia said:

I like to read divergent views and the first paragraph with its inference that the best way to secure a referendum is by not voting snp is certainly the first time I have come across such a proposition.

I also like the second paragraph but would take issue with the idea that the snp is more popular than they actually are. Last time around they got twice the votes of labour and twice the votes of the tolies, but they didn't manage to extend to "millions" of confirmed supporters.

To clarify, I'm not saying that voting SNP in a SP election makes a referendum less likely. I'm just saying it barely makes a difference because there is absolutely no onus on the UKG to grant one. SNP fail to get a majority and Johnson will claim that as a rejection of independence, if the SNP do get a majority then Johnson will just reject one anyway. Because reasons.

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Why not? Every other party announces what their cabinet will be if elected. This is the purpose of a shadow cabinet.

No they don't. The shadows in an election don't by any stretch get those ministerial jobs if they get elected. For example, before 2007 Shona Robison was the shadow health minister, but Nicola Sturgeon was appointed to the job after the elections. Famously, George Robertson was shadow secretary for Scotland in 1997 but Donald Dewar got the gig, which meant he would go on to be the first First Minister. There was quite a lot of change in the Scottish cabinet after the 2016 election. There's always a lot of excitement over who will get what job.

It's not just arrogance in presuming that the party will win - it's arrogance in assuming that the individuals you name would win their seats too. Imagine Sturgeon named Mairi Gougeon, the current Minister for Public Health and Sport, before she'd even won her seat. It would be a gift to the Tories in her constituency.

17 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Those are effectively front bench re-shuffles after a new leader takes over a party. The Tories did this more than 6 months ago. They have not said "This will be our front bench after the election in May".

Hypothetically, if all indy-minded voters all voted SNP/Green in areas where SNP will completely romp the constituency vote ie Glasgow, Central etc would the Greens be looking at 15+ MSPs in that scenario?

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

With Jeane Freeman retiring, have the SNP suggested who the new health secretary will be? It’ll obviously be a pretty high profile role throughout the remainder of the pandemic

It’ll be a difficult decision, given the wealth of talent that the SNP have to call upon.

47 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Hypothetically, if all indy-minded voters all voted SNP/Green in areas where SNP will completely romp the constituency vote ie Glasgow, Central etc would the Greens be looking at 15+ MSPs in that scenario?

They'd be looking at close to 20-30 I'd reckon and easily be the second largest party at Holyrood.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

No party is going to advocate a vote for another party. Rhiannon is literally a list candidate in the Highland region

Rhiannon is somewhere near the bottom of the SNP list in H&I. What a wee shame that is.*

* Not really a shame at all

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ll be voting SNP/Green but as P&B is my only foray into social media I’ll be interested to know how widespread this approach is likely to be amongst Indy supporters outwith this forum.

Constituency will be SNP. 

My list vote will be up for grabs depending on who gets traction between Alba/Green/SNP/Wightman(Ind) - in strictly alphabetical order, of course

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

No party is going to advocate a vote for another party. Rhiannon is literally a list candidate in the Highland region

She's naming the other pro-independence parties, yet literally (or litrally as she spells it) leaves out the second biggest one.  I won't be surprised if this turns into a common tactic.

I’ll be voting SNP/Green but as P&B is my only foray into social media I’ll be interested to know how widespread this approach is likely to be amongst Indy supporters outwith this forum.

My brother is pretty active on Social Media and is encouraging an SNP-Green vote - and if they won't do that then SNP-Alba.

I know a lot of people who were SNP-SNP last time round who are also doing SNP-Green this time.

Wife is voting SNP - has not said what her second vote is - but it won't be "that a sleazy b*****d" as she put it so bluntly.