Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

ballot box Scotland guy thinks its possible Alba could get 1-2 seats if they get about 4%
Replying to @AuntieSyzygy It'll be regional variation - I think it's more likely than not that there will be 1-2 Alba seats if they were on 4%, but my "finger in the wind" model just can't pick out anywhere they'd be certain of at that level.
Possibly one in NE Scotland?

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
7 hours ago, andrew21 said:
ballot box Scotland guy thinks its possible Alba could get 1-2 seats if they get about 4%
Replying to @AuntieSyzygy It'll be regional variation - I think it's more likely than not that there will be 1-2 Alba seats if they were on 4%, but my "finger in the wind" model just can't pick out anywhere they'd be certain of at that level.

Possibly one in NE Scotland?

iirc Kirk Torrance taking a seat in H&I was suggested by John Curtice a few weeks back.

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Jason Leitch and his killer car parks chat has pretty much killed this for me. I cant vote SNP. I like what the greens stand for, and so might vote for them.

I cant cast a vote that counts against an indyref so its Green or spoil for me. Yet to decide.

The local snp candidate for my bit is a councillor Natalie Don, id written to her before and talked about my concerns about a number of snp policies which had caused me significant issue. She was out canvassing and made a point of chapping the door and chatting to me for a good while, 10/15 minutes and although I didnt agree with every answer, she certainly listened and offered to take some of my ideas/criticisms forward and genuinely for the first time in my life I felt valued by a political representative. 
I absolutely think the SG handling of restrictions is pish, they need to punt devi et al straight in the bin, but genuinely think my candidate will be a good addition to Holyrood. She’s absolutely blasting the campaigning and I think has a good chance of winning. 
So because shes an excellent representative locally and has impressed me she’s getting my vote. 
My second vote i’ve absolutely no idea what to do but i need to decide soon. 
Also agree with the previous poster saying get Swinney to f**k, get Yousaf along with him.

15 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Alba putting their foot in it again.

1025036997_Screenshot_2021-05-02UngaggedonTwitter.png.d628ae2e5e342ee67c086830a60c73de.png

Start a political party a few weeks before a key election led by an unprincipled egotist and you’re not likely to attract the best or the brightest.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The local snp candidate for my bit is a councillor Natalie Don, id written to her before and talked about my concerns about a number of snp policies which had caused me significant issue. She was out canvassing and made a point of chapping the door and chatting to me for a good while, 10/15 minutes and although I didnt agree with every answer, she certainly listened and offered to take some of my ideas/criticisms forward and genuinely for the first time in my life I felt valued by a political representative. 
I absolutely think the SG handling of restrictions is pish, they need to punt devi et al straight in the bin, but genuinely think my candidate will be a good addition to Holyrood. She’s absolutely blasting the campaigning and I think has a good chance of winning. 
So because shes an excellent representative locally and has impressed me she’s getting my vote. 
Also agree with the previous poster saying get Swinney to f**k, get Yousaf along with him.

Had the same experience with Bob Doris. I like the guy from when I've spoken to him and he was good craic with me slaughtering him as a big lefty even trying to get us to join the party. I've decided to vote for him in a pact with my ma as she's my proxy and she's going to vote Green if I vote SNP on the constituency. He was shite on the rent freezes last year especially which really put me off but hopefully he steps up this time. Might fire some emails aff if he doesn't as he does reply.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If you would like to see an increased majority for independence at Holyrood, at the expense of branch office shills from London-based parties, vote ALBA on the list.  They do not "enliven" or "enrich" the debate, and most would be fine with Holyrood being stripped of all meaningful power.  

Alternatively, give the SNP your list vote.  However, it will then be divided by the number of constituency wins they get in your region, achieving nothing in practice.  

15 minutes ago, Burning Barns said:

If you would like to see an increased majority for independence at Holyrood, at the expense of branch office shills from London-based parties, vote ALBA on the list.  They do not "enliven" or "enrich" the debate, and most would be fine with Holyrood being stripped of all meaningful power.  

Alternatively, give the SNP your list vote.  However, it will then be divided by the number of constituency wins they get in your region, achieving nothing in practice.  

An increased majority is best achieved by the below AFAIK. Alba are polling an average of 3% or thereabout and are on course to win zero seats.

xuper indy majority.jpg

32 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Unless they don't have too many constituency MSPs.

Surely that won't happen under oor Nicola. 

The Green Party is, for the most part, ambiguous towards independence.  Their voters are split down the middle on the issue.  ALBA will definitely treat independence as a priority, whereas I'm not convinced this would be a given with the Greens.  

3 minutes ago, Burning Barns said:

The Green Party is, for the most part, ambiguous towards independence.  Their voters are split down the middle on the issue.  ALBA will definitely treat independence as a priority, whereas I'm not convinced this would be a given with the Greens.  

https://greens.scot/our-future/independence-and-scotland-s-future

"Ambiguous"

Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 23.04.19.png

Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 23.04.30.png

Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 23.04.59.png

Edited by NotThePars

That's great, however it doesn't change the fact that there is a sizeable unionist contingent within the Green Party base.  

There is no guarantee that they wouldn't enter into an electoral marriage of convenience with Labour at some point, rather than the SNP.  

1 hour ago, Burning Barns said:

Appreciate the reply but for me id rather not vote for a party with some of the people who make up Alba. Had a look at the green manifesto, dont agree with all of it but some good points in it. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Had the same experience with Bob Doris. I like the guy from when I've spoken to him and he was good craic with me slaughtering him as a big lefty even trying to get us to join the party. I've decided to vote for him in a pact with my ma as she's my proxy and she's going to vote Green if I vote SNP on the constituency. He was shite on the rent freezes last year especially which really put me off but hopefully he steps up this time. Might fire some emails aff if he doesn't as he does reply.

Ive heard he’s a good guy actually. 
I think your idea with yer auld dears probably the way to go. 
Well i’ll give Natalie Don my vote and hope she comes through with her commitments. 
I just hope post indy (if) we see a better politics emerge. 

I was thinking of starting a "wids of the Scottish election" thread to appeal to the misfit, creepy, yer da element of P&B (just call me the George Galloway of football forums) but I couldn't be arsed.

Anyway I don't vote based on a shallow examination of pulchritude but IMHO my local candidate Catriona MacDonald is a wid.

IMG_20210502_231843694.thumb.jpg.a40f793f6a5638fcda21cee0b1acc42b.jpg

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Appreciate the reply but for me id rather not vote for a party with some of the people who make up Alba. Had a look at the green manifesto, dont agree with all of it but some good points in it. 

In my experience, the people who make up ALBA are seasoned campaigners for independence, many of whom were SNP stalwarts who served the party for decades.