Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

1 hour ago, betting competition said:

Does anyone know when the results will be announced? 

I was reading that it will take place over Friday and Saturday but the BBC article has disappeared. 

There is a link near the bottom of the page at this site - it is a provisional list  - https://www.emb.scot/downloads/download/153/scottish-parliament-election-2021

x2 sent off for the tofu & soya brigade.

Few other notes namely the list candidates being so bloody long the thing opens like a scroll. Also got my reminder that the Social Democratic Party still exist. Fair do's on 30 years of existence in near obscurity pushing the blandest politics going.

The joy of getting leaflets for the Scottish Family Party, All for Unity, Reform UK and Alba all in one day. 
Same here. I was wondering if the Royal Mail did some kind of OFTW group deal.

Reminds me I saw Sarwar's bus in linlithgow last week. I'm sure they all do it the same, especially during covid times, but I was surprised how brief it all was. Stand with cardboard rainbow (?) in square, sit on bench speaking to three elderly ladies while being inconspicuously photographed for a candid moment, picture with local members in front of St Michael's kirk, back on the battle bus. Seemed like they were there for 20 minutes maybe 

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Reminds me I saw Sarwar's bus in linlithgow last week. I'm sure they all do it the same, especially during covid times, but I was surprised how brief it all was. Stand with cardboard rainbow (?) in square, sit on bench speaking to three elderly ladies while being inconspicuously photographed for a candid moment, picture with local members in front of St Michael's kirk, back on the battle bus. Seemed like they were there for 20 minutes maybe 

The local Linlithgow Journal will beef it up to hours.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Honestly, if you are gonna call something a battle bus surely it should at least have a couple of pop up missiles? At the very least a spiky dozer blade on the front?

Well despite the very convincing arguments from the Unionist parties that we’re too shite to run ourselves and should let the big country next door look after us poor stupid Scots and our worthless economy I’ve voted SNP 1 and Green 2. First time voting Green but SNP 2 just seems a waste in Fife, considered Alba but still not convinced they’ll be able to work with the SNP and they seem to have collected a lot of the zoomers from the Yes side.

For weeks I like many other Pro Indy voters have been urging that "YES" voters give their list vote to the Greens in West of Scotland, Lothian, Mid Scotland & Fife as in those three areas in particular they can pick up  a lot of Green Pro Indy MSP's if they get around 9-10% on list.

However i think it is equally important that Green voters give their constituency vote to SNP in the following areas; Dumbarton, Aberdeenshire West, Edinburgh Southern, Eastwood, Dumfriesshire, East Lothian, Ayr and Galloway & West Dumfries.

I have been watching the polling, election markets and bookies odds over last 3 weeks and in all of those areas there as been a move away from SNP towards either Labour or Tories in those key target seats.

About 12 days ago the SNP were favourite to pick up at least 7 of them according to those sites, now every seat is on a knife edge and they look like definitely losing Edinburgh Southern, Dumbarton & Eastwood according to those sites. I think Green and SNP voters need to help each other out. I personally hope Greens vote for SNP in those constituency seats and that SNP voters vote tactically for Greens on the list in central Scotland.

There does appear to be indicators that some of The Unionists are choosing to vote tactically even if it means some Labour voters voting Tory or visa versa.

On my walk yesterday I saw three houses with Alba signs, two of which were massive around the back of Eden Court.  In the beautiful Crown though it seems like every other street lamp is displaying Andy Wightman signs beneath those for the Freedom Alliance which are the most tragic election signs I've ever seen.  Genuinely look like they were made by a primary school child using Clip Art.

Postal vote well away, SNP for the Constituency, Green for the Lothian area list.  While we have a voting system that includes PR, we just have to suck it up and try to get the best outcome actually achievable which might not be the outcome we would actually want. I'm reasonably optimistic that the SNP will hold the constituencies they won last time in the Lothian area and that they might well take Edinburgh Central.  I saw no point in giving my list vote to the SNP and would rather help the Greens than make a Unionist or a wrecker get a chance. The votes will fall as they will, but if the SNP do win Edinburgh Central, giving then the list vote as well just seems daft.  I suppose I'll find out whether I was correct by Saturday night. 

The flag-shaggers out in force on the bridges over the Edinburgh by-pass. All the bridges had flegs for the Unionist Clubs of Scotland, but this one just before the junction with the A1 had attracted a counter-flaggery. IMG_20210501_133354071_HDR.jpeg

30 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The flag-shaggers out in force on the bridges over the Edinburgh by-pass. All the bridges had flegs for the Unionist Clubs of Scotland, but this one just before the junction with the A1 had attracted a counter-flaggery. IMG_20210501_133354071_HDR.jpeg

There was a group at the bridge where Sauchiehall St crosses the M8. About 12 folk, with 40-odd chins and single figures of teeth in total.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

There was a group at the bridge where Sauchiehall St crosses the M8. About 12 folk, with 40-odd chins and single figures of teeth in total.

I remember a comment from a friend about 40 years ago as we were watching a bit of the Tory Party conference.

”It’s easy to see the Tories don’t believe in equality, some of their delegates have three chins and some don’t have any”.

If we're doing Albawatch, Clackmannan has several big signs for them at the moment. All facing the town's single pub, which always has a Union Fleg hinging oot a windae, so it's entirely possible it's just a GIRUY for the landlord, although Clackmannan has always seemed home to a few rabid nationalists.

At the last Westminster elections, a wee plot of land with horses at the Marywood roundabout was the only place in town to have a Luke Graham Tory banner, which has now been replaced with a "Re-elect Keith Brown" one. Make of that what you will.

(I suspect the land is owned by our very own Mike Mulraney)