Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Oaft. Greens missed out on a second MSP because a far right plant under the name “Independent Green voice” picked up a few thousand accidental votes
A few thousand idiots then! Fucking do a little research into such an important decision ffs.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Oaft. Greens missed out on a second MSP because a far right plant under the name “Independent Green voice” picked up a few thousand accidental votes

Did anyone else think that the party being called Abolish the Scottish Parliament and UKIPs slogan being Abolish the Scottish Parliament, was a little confusing especially for the types voting for them.

15 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
17 minutes ago, Donathan said:

A few thousand idiots then! Fucking do a little research into such an important decision ffs.

As annoying as it is, the SNP got over 100,000 votes in Glasgow that may as well have been flushed down the toilet.  Wonder if some people chickened out in the polling station.  Perhaps if the SNP and the Greens go into coalition the first thing the Greens should do is demand the SNP stop screaming "BOTH VOTES SNP!!1!" at every opportunity.  Fair enough saying it, but there was no need to make it so prominent, especially in areas where they haven't even polled a list seat in years.

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Or, just stick a pin in the paper, and wherever it lands, stick a fiver on each way. 

3 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

whats the situation in Quebec nowadays is there any demand for independence still or has it run of steam

If you ever ask Canadians about this they always reply with "Never say never".  It seems like time has moved on though - Parti Quebecois I believe have said that next time will be the last time.

11 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

Funny how Tories have been telling us that Boris Johnson, Margaret Thatcher & Theresa May all had a mandate to push through their policies when by using your same method of (including Non voters) this is what they achieved

1979: Thatcher 33.3%

1983: Thatcher 31.17% (got a landslide off this)

1987: Thatcher 31.78% (another Tory landslide which led to her imposing poll tax on Scotland as guinea pig trial)

2015: David Cameron 24% forced through Brexit referendum (even with the UKIP party they had 32.82%)

2017: Theresa May 29.18%9even after bribing DUP for a £Billion) only just over 30%. UK press/Tories said mandate for Tory Brexit

2019: BoJo 29.36% and even with Brexit party added 30.7% (Unionists/Tories said he had mandate for oven ready Brexit deal)

The fact remains that Scotland just had a democratic election where the Greens/SNP stood on Pro Indy platform the other 3 main UK unionist parties stood firmly against it and guess what we returned an even bigger Pro Indy Parliament than ever before. Pro Indy majority now 15. That is based on a much fairer voting system.

If we had first past post the post system as in Westminster the Pro Indy majority would have been 51 and that is on only 73 seats. That would equate to a 250 plus majority in Westminster.

You've taken more time to detail this than the original post deserved. The boy's scrambling all over the place.

tenor-3.gif

I see Braden Davy is still desperately trying to avoid a real job and stood again (as a Tory this time) in Angus.
I see he lost (again) but not convincingly enough for my liking. 
His campaign/Councillor page was full of absolute nonsense and flat out lies. I'm delighted to see him fail [emoji23]

In fact the only real changes in this election were the SNP gaining Edinburgh Central from the Tories, Labour losing a list seat to the Tories (H&I) and the Greens (Central), and the Greens gaining one from the Lib Dems in NE.

The two SNP gains in East Lothian and Ayr were directly cancelled out on the list.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Interesting that only 3/73 constituencies changed hands, and of the other 70, most saw increased majorities regardless of which party held the seat.

Truly the election of the incumbency bounce

I'm not sure that's completely right - majorities increased in numerical terms because turnout increased, but in percentage terms I don't think there was a general increase.

The major pattern in the constituencies was polarisation, with the SNP and the leading unionist party pulling further away from the rest.

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Am I missing something?

Looking at the BBC site, there were 6,487 more votes for Pro indy parties (SNP, green, Alba) than there were for all the rest in the regional vote.

That's an incredibly slim majority but a majority nonetheless. 

You're absolutely right. Yoons (by which I mean the bams, not unionists generally) are choosing only to use the constituency vote but the regional vote is obviously a much more useful measure of the parties that voters support, not least because most constituencies only had 4 candidates.