Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

34 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I was going to go SNP/Green but the greens here seem to have no chance and Labour seem to do well, so it'll be SNP/SNP

Yeah, sorry but if you want to maximise pro-independence MSPs and you're voting in Glasgow, SNP/Green is the only sensible choice.

7 minutes ago, sophia said:

I just heard on the wireless that the count will take place over "several days"

Boo (rage) BOO!!!

I thought the list vote usually took 2-3 days to return results anyway?

Edited by Boo Khaki

My seat is Coatbridge & Chryston, Central Scotland for the list. SNP won by 5000 votes back in 2016, and they will definitely extend that this year, maybe not by much because Coatbridge still has this weird fetish for Labour, exemplified by Coatbridge voting for a postman in the 2017 GE.

That trend will be the same throughout the Central area. It is futile for me and other indy-backers in Central Scotland to vote SNP/SNP, which looks like the same for other posters reading through this thread. SNP/Green for moi. 

59 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I was going to go SNP/Green but the greens here seem to have no chance and Labour seem to do well, so it'll be SNP/SNP

There's nowhere in Scotland that it's not worth voting Green on the Region, and more to the point, there's nowhere that it's not a more effective vote than voting SNP on the Region.

In most regions there's very little chance of the SNP getting anyone off the list at all.

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I thought the list vote usually took 2-3 days to return results anyway?

No, it's usually completed by lunchtime on the Friday at the latest, it went to late afternoon in 2007 because of the voting balls up but that was unique. I don't know if there might be delays this time because of Covid protocols though.

I see Ballot Box Scotland has just projected a poll with the SNP on 67 and the Greens going up to 11, with the latter winning a seat in every region and two in Lothian, Glasgow and the Highlands and Islands.  The SNP get a majority with zero list seats.  Looks more and more that voting SNP on the list is at best ineffective and throughout large parts of Scotland, essentially futile. 

Will be my last ever vote in the Edinburgh Western Constituency.

Really grudge voting SNP based on their handling of the past year but they’re still better than Labour/Lib Dem/Tory scum.

Will be voting SNP/Green, hopefully Alex Cole Hamilton gets punted out the seat, absolute weirdo that he is.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

No, it's usually completed by lunchtime on the Friday at the latest, it went to late afternoon in 2007 because of the voting balls up but that was unique. I don't know if there might be delays this time because of Covid protocols though.

That must be what I'm thinking of then. Definitely remember there being a wait at one point to find out exactly which bunch of stiffs had limped into the chamber via the list.

3 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Will be my last ever vote in the Edinburgh Western Constituency.

Really grudge voting SNP based on their handling of the past year but they’re still better than Labour/Lib Dem/Tory scum.

Will be voting SNP/Green, hopefully Alex Cole Hamilton gets punted out the seat, absolute weirdo that he is.

I had to hold my nose and vote for Joanna Cherry in 2019. I've moved back to Tommy Sheppard's Westminster constituency, but my MSP is Ash Denham, who has personal views I find as objectionable as Cherry. I'll still vote SNP 1 Green 2 though, because I see Indi as a far more significant issue than semantic squabbles over potential GRA reform, which I think is inevitable in any case. Despite GC people forming noisy echo-chambers on certain sites that tolerate transphobia, they are completely deluding themselves that they are somehow representative of the wider population. They are not, and I think history will judge them the same way that we now view people who considered homosexual men to be a danger to children 30-40 years ago.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think it's because that heroes narrative is what partially allows for them to be underpaid in the first place. It's a job and people should be adequately compensated for it rather than being patronised or put on a pedestal. Not a criticism of yourself of course more how the Tories weaponised it.

Folk of my age used to hear of Red Adair, a fearless American elevated to superhero status who got paid a million pounds a day. 

But yeah, we currently talk up our health workers, soldiers, teachers etc, lavish them with platitudes and in the end treat them like anyone else.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Election night

Sadly unlikely to be a proper election night Fife are counting theirs on Friday and Saturday, mainly due to the number of postal votes

11 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

That must be what I'm thinking of then. Definitely remember there being a wait at one point to find out exactly which bunch of stiffs had limped into the chamber via the list.

Came down to the very last seat in the last Region - in North East the 7th and final seat was wrongly attributed , IIRC to the Tories, which would have left the election a tie between the SNP and Labour. It was quickly spotted and correctly attributed to the SNP, putting them over the line. I remember being in the car just getting home when it came on the radio and it must have been about 4pm.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see Ballot Box Scotland has just projected a poll with the SNP on 67 and the Greens going up to 11, with the latter winning a seat in every region and two in Lothian, Glasgow and the Highlands and Islands.  The SNP get a majority with zero list seats.  Looks more and more that voting SNP on the list is at best ineffective and throughout large parts of Scotland, essentially futile. 

It is futile in the most part. The SNP shouldn't be ashamed to play to this and come out and advise not to vote for them on the list unless you stay in areas where they don't do as well on the constituency vote. They obviously want to appeal to everyone and want as much votes as possible, and I get that, but they surely know that it is absolutely pointless if you want a pro-indy majority to do SNP/SNP if you stay in areas where they will do very well on the constituency vote?

They'll maybe get a couple on the list from the Highlands and the South, but that will be it. 3 at best. 

29 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Folk of my age used to hear of Red Adair, a fearless American elevated to superhero status who got paid a million pounds a day. 

But yeah, we currently talk up our health workers, soldiers, teachers etc, lavish them with platitudes and in the end treat them like anyone else.

We could always Zack Snyder it and let the superheroes be untethered to human morality and laws... Or we could pay them properly.

48 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

This is exactly my position as well. I was pretty adamant about not voting SNP, but when it comes down to it it’ll have to either be them or not voting, so SNP/Green likely.