Jump to content

Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Very, very saddening to see the result in Dundee West. 

Sadly drug deaths will never be a hot topic for the general population hopefully the next government can learn from the mistakes continue to try to push for safe consumption places and more services for those with addiction issues whilst kicking f**k out of the people at the top of the organised crime pyramid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

03D54C67-9676-4794-B01C-B2D480B115A4.jpeg.5008126085aa1dfc59fe86c10039f491.jpeg

After 14 years in government the percentage share is up and we’re winning seats from other parties.  No serious political commentator can spin that as a failure.

...but it's not 50%+1 voting for pro-Yes parties so it looks like No would probably still have won a referndum if a ballot on that had also been provided as opinion polls are also suggesting right now. 

If the SNP doesn't reach 65 today Boris will have a set of arguments that will look reasonable enough to many people for not going along with a second referendum. The SNP have done very well in this election but not so well that a Yes victory is assured in the short to medium term.

Today's older generation will have to largely have departed the scene before there is likely to be a solid pro-independence majority that will stand up to an intense few weeks of electoral campaigning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pawpar said:

Voting Alba was not a stupid fucking idea. Voting SNP for the list vote in Central Scotland was a monumentally fucking stupid idea. Or as I call them secret tories. There is a reason why unionists win more things under D'Hondt. Lab votes tory or LD when they cannot win. Same for Tories and LD. Whereas SNP thinks it can still win. Absolutely fucking deluded. Asking people to vote SNP 1 and 2 cost them an overall majority. Sturgeon should have said to vote SNP1 and greens 2. Both Labour and tory said vote for any other party. The idiots that run the SNP should have said SNP 1 greens 2. Much as I hate unionists they got their tactics right. The SNP did not.

 

Cost who a majority ? The only realistic way for an SNP majority given tactical voting on constituency is a high regional vote for them. SNP1/Green2 would  certainly deliver a greater Indy majority but we will get that anyway so not sure who has been “cost”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Sadly drug deaths will never be a hot topic for the general population hopefully the next government can learn from the mistakes continue to try to push for safe consumption places and more services for those with addiction issues whilst kicking f**k out of the people at the top of the organised crime pyramid.

I can't help wondering if Joe FitzPatrick has been used as a scapegoat. Might be way, way wide of the mark though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

I can't help wondering if Joe FitzPatrick has been used as a scapegoat. Might be way, way wide of the mark though. 

Was he doing any worse than Swinney is on education?

Although I expect he'll be moved in a reshuffle after the election.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I can't help wondering if Joe FitzPatrick has been used as a scapegoat. Might be way, way wide of the mark though. 

The minister, especially a junior one is always a scapegoat in some sense, they had one plan and the UKg torpedoed it, it was for him to bring a new plan to the government with the help of his Can Sec. Now obviously she was busy with the Pandemic but you have to be able to do more than one thing at a time.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Was he doing any worse than Swinney is on education?

Although I expect he'll be moved in a reshuffle after the election.

I think it is highly unlikely he gets back into government, or are you talking DFM getting moved?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 101 said:

The minister, especially a junior one is always a scapegoat in some sense, they had one plan and the UKg torpedoed it, it was for him to bring a new plan to the government with the help of his Can Sec. Now obviously she was busy with the Pandemic but you have to be able to do more than one thing at a time.

I think it is highly unlikely he gets back into government, or are you talking DFM getting moved?

Swinney moved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SNP MSPs will vote for IndyRef2, Green MSPs will vote for IndyRef2.  That’s a majority based on a PR voting system.
Johnson and his lackies in the MSM can squeal and protest all they want but if people return a majority of pro-Independence MSPs then that’s a victory for the Independence cause regardless of who is trying to deny it.
 
This.

Are the unionists now dictating which votes count and which don't in the Scottish Parliament?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The best way of winning over the large chunk of soft No's is to have a sex pest universally despised in parliament with a rag tag bunch of deplorables and transphobes supported by men who think nothing of sexually harassing women ? It's a theory.

I think you'll find we were discussing an Alba or similar as a strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I can't help wondering if Joe FitzPatrick has been used as a scapegoat. Might be way, way wide of the mark though. 

We've not exactly ploughed cash into the issue since 2007.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly. And aside from the hubris involved in suggesting people put their second vote elsewhere, the SNP have to promote 'Both Votes SNP' because if voters get into the habit of voting for another party on the regional lists, and the SNP constituency vote drops a bit, they could be back to a handful of MSPs. They need the List vote as security. It's not perhaps in the best interests of independence, but the SNP are responsible only to themselves, not the entire independence movement. Voters can of course make their own decisions based on what they think will bring the best result./
No political party is going to advocate voting for another.

In the SNP's case if they had done an SNP 1 Green 2 campaign it would have cost them constituencies.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The Alba lads absolutely beeling that thir rag tag bunch of bigots and misfits have completely crahed and burned is it ?

I'm neither Alba nor SNP and I'm no more beeling about it as I was on Wednesday, folk will eventually realise that independence will only come about with a long term strategy rather than this vote for me vote for me pish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ayrmad said:

I'm neither Alba nor SNP and I'm no more beeling about it as I was on Wednesday, folk will eventually realise that independence will only come about with a long term strategy rather than this vote for me vote for me pish. 

There's going to be a pro-indy parliament legislating for an independence referendum so you have nothing to worry about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No political party is going to advocate voting for another.

In the SNP's case if they had done an SNP 1 Green 2 campaign it would have cost them constituencies.

Essentially the Tories did this by saying 'Peach Vote Tory'.  SNP didn't need to explicitly say 'Vote Green'. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This.

Are the unionists now dictating which votes count and which don't in the Scottish Parliament?



None of this “counts” in the Scottish parliament. Calling for a referendum on Scottish independence is literally above the powers of holyrood.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...