Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Another massively pro Indyref parliament to be returned, another f**k knows how long of people confusing arguing for the Union with arguing against the democratic mandate to ask the question. 

No one with any interest in a democratic society should be arguing that the Scottish people have not asked for, and are therefore entitled to, a referendum. 

Make your case during that referendum. Its no democracy at all to continue to deny it. 

6 minutes ago, renton said:

It's a nonsense argument that an SNP only majority is the only legitimate route to pushing for one. So long as there is a majority of pro Indy MSPs then BoJo will have to rest on some other denial of democracy to hold the Union together.

Of course it is. It would make more sense if I had actually made that argument though.. 

He won't allow one anyway so the conversation should be about how do you legally achieve one without Westminsters consent which imo is an absolute certain way to cut a chunk off the Indy vote off. 

Boris should just call one and we can leave this discussion for the next generation (7 years)

Just now, Stormzy said:

Of course it is. It would make more sense if I had actually made that argument though.. 

He won't allow one anyway so the conversation should be about how do you legally achieve one without Westminsters consent which imo is an absolute certain way to cut a chunk off the Indy vote off. 

Boris should just call one and we can leave this discussion for the next generation (7 years)

'Boris' doesn't have a mandate to call a referendum.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The weirdo gave a wee negative thing to the below post. Never replied and offered a retort, nae argument against.  Just staunch negativity.

Because it was a slavering sycophant type of post that belongs in the bin. 

SNP increase the amount of votes they got. More pro-indy MSPs bums on seats in Holyrood than ever before. Unsure how anyone can spin that as anything other than an utterly resounding mandate for Indyref2, especially under a PR voting system.

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

SNP increase the amount of votes they got. More pro-indy MSPs bums on seats in Holyrood than ever before. Unsure how anyone can spin that as anything other than an utterly resounding mandate for Indyref2, especially under a PR voting system.

If the announcements came in the other way around, ie the 3 gains came in at end of day, I would probably be feeling a lot more confident and upbeat. Think recency bias skews it a bit. I kind of hope we go for it but I’m just not sure we win, and if we don’t win. It’s done for 20-30 years minimum 

10 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

We can argue about tactical voting stopping a majority all we want. The tactical voters are anti indy voters. If we want indy, those voters wont be changed. I know it’s margins and that. But I dunno. Do we assume a few labour voters would back indy in the coming future with the shitshow down south? Hopefully. 

I tactically voted for the Greens on the listed votes but was disappointed how many voted for the SNP which they won't win a seat sadly in most areas. SNP got their message across with both votes but on a positive I think the Greens will have more seats than they ever had. 

Edited by betting competition

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

No would probably still win. Pro-independence candidates need to be getting well over 50% in most constituencies for a referendum victory to be likely and that's not what we are seeing.

Are there any links to list votes other than Fatima Joji who is tweeting the NE list results? It would be good to see some analysis of how the Unionist vote is diverging from constituency votes to see if there is any likelihood of the SNP picking up any tailend list votes based on the higher differential turn-out. That would probably mean squeezing out the Greens who don't look particularly high in the NE.

19 minutes ago, renton said:

I do wonder if we might see a more formal coalition between the SNP and Greens to firm up the idea of a majority pro Indy Government.

I've posted about it a couple of times and been chatting about it elsewhere. What is the downside? Even Harvie seemed open to it earlier.

If they made a formal coalition and specifically titled it as something to do with the pro-independence majority government then it allows them to start setting the narrative. it's easy to dismiss indy as a minority position when the pro-indy government is a minority but go on the front foot and lay down a marker. The Greens should still be sufficiently switched on to avoid being Lib Dem'd. At least the SNP and the Greens vaguely get on.

37 minutes ago, Saltire said:

It's pretty clear that Tories will lend their vote to Labour but Labour voters are much less liklley to lend to the Tories. That's where the Indy majority needs to be found, the Labour vote, as we aready knew.

The Labour vote can go f**k themselves until Old Father Time/Sick Man of Europe syndrome lops them off throughout the Central Belt in the next fifteen years. 

They're a complete and utter irrelevance now. 

31 minutes ago, Paco said:

SNP on the way to 63 or 64 I think, assuming the handful of list MSPs returned last time get in again. Current result suggest the SNP list vote will stay that way.

Close but no cigar. From a domestic government point of view I think that’s objectively a good thing. For independence it’s irrelevant, we’re on the way to comfortable parliamentary approval in favour of a referendum, but of course it won’t be spun that way.

Correct, but one of the reasons why it won't be spun that way is that a certain party has spent its entire campaign moronically going after a both votes policy in order to gain a one party majority, in a system that is designed to not produce one party majorities.

Tomorrow should be about seeing how many Yoons get turfed out at the expense of the Greens. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Don't get upset

Says the one upset that I disliked a post about how wonderful Nicola was and how you couldn't comprehend how anyone could have a different opinion? 

Mad world we live in if that's the case. 

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I've posted about it a couple of times and been chatting about it elsewhere. What is the downside? Even Harvie seemed open to it earlier.

If they made a formal coalition and specifically titled it as something to do with the pro-independence majority government then it allows them to start setting the narrative. it's easy to dismiss indy as a minority position when the pro-indy government is a minority but go on the front foot and lay down a marker. The Greens should still be sufficiently switched on to avoid being Lib Dem'd. At least the SNP and the Greens vaguely get on.

If they had any sense they would have been discussing it previously.

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I tactically voted for the Greens on the listed votes but was disappointed how many voted for the SNP which they won't win a seat sadly in most areas. SNP got their message across with both votes but on a positive I think the Greens will have more seats than they ever had. 

I was meaning tactical voters voting whichever unionist had a chance. Snp/green would have been my choice if Harvie was in my constituency, but he wasn’t. I voted snp/snp

So, for an overall majority, all the SNP need is to win all the 26 as yet undeclared seats they won last time and add another one from either Aberdeenshire West or Galloway & West Dumfries.  No list seats needed. That right? 

Gulp.

Piece of piss... 😐