Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

36 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

More people want independence. I'd be happy to see one right now also. 

Any evidence to back up your laughable claim? 

I'd imagine you are in the minority on your side but fair enough. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

The year is 2023, the covid pandemic has passed, what is the reaction if Nicola says "The last few years have taken their toll on me, I'm happy to have steered the country out of the pandemic and it has been tireless work, i am now stepping down as leader so someone with more vigour can lead the next push for Independence"

That would be amazing. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if something like this happened. No human being can go through the sort of nonsense she’s had to deal with in the last few years (Brexit, COVID-19, Sex scandal and subsequent inquiry) without it taking a toll. 

58 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Took 10 seconds to find using the search function. Let's drop the collective amnesia that likes to blight certain Indy supporters at different times. 

Not really interested in getting involved here, but that comment you've taken is completely out of context, considering it was a clearly sarcastic response to a post insisting the "England out of Scotland" guys were the true face of Scottish nationalism.

Also, saying somebody is a Nazi saluting orange order member is not the same as saying Orange Order members are all Nazis.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Not really interested in getting involved here, but that comment you've taken is completely out of context, considering it was a clearly sarcastic response to a post insisting the "England out of Scotland" guys were the true face of Scottish nationalism.

Also, saying somebody is a Nazi saluting orange order member is not the same as saying Orange Order members are all Nazis.

Apologies for choosing your post, I'm also not interested in getting into that argument but the man asked for one post and I searched OO and Nazi and that popped up. There's been examples used on here to compare the two plenty of times. 

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Apologies for choosing your post, I'm also not interested in getting into that argument but the man asked for one post and I searched OO and Nazi and that popped up. There's been examples used on here to compare the two plenty of times. 

Fair enough.

The number of votes going the way of Indy parties.

You have f**k all claim to say you're on the majority anymore. So let's have a referendum and find out eh?

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The number of votes going the way of Indy parties.

You have f**k all claim to say you're on the majority anymore. So let's have a referendum and find out eh?

Oooft that's certainly an intriguing argument. 

Aye I've said I want one, sooner rather than later. As I've said though I don't think the majority of your side are quite as eager as you or I. 

I'm going to be brave enough to say that the Orange Order are fair game for being called Nazis given they love certain salutes and oppressing minorities within their own borders. Also it annoys people that I like winding up.

Wonder if labour are now bitterly regretting setting up devolution?  If they hadn't gave us it there's no way we could have forced the uk government to give us it , not even by returning a clean sweep of SNP MP's at a general election ( we had between 5-10 pre 2014) Nobody in politics just does things because it's right thing to do, Labour were always going to lose a general election sooner or later , they were only in power for a total of 22 years throughout the 20th centaury . i'm assuming they thought devolution would allow them to keep power and influence in Scotland and wales when they were out at WM. surely when they sat and planned this out they must have at least consider the possibility of a nationalist takeover in the parliament? obviously not it seems

52 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Wonder if labour are now bitterly regretting setting up devolution? ...

Does a bear defecate in the woods. Using devolution with a d'Hondt system to put the genie of nationalism back in the bottle worked about as well for Labour as posle Tita, Tito (after Tito, Tito) worked for the Yugoslav League of Communists. Suspect what the other parties also very much regret is giving the SNP a crack at it as a minority government in 2007. Hand the irrational nat nuts enough rope and they will hang themselves was no doubt the mentality but instead by being more competent than Labour (not exactly difficult) the SNP and by extension further constitutional change lost a lot of the fear factor that had previously been involved for a sizable chunk of the electorate.

Does a bear defecate in the woods. Using devolution with a d'Hondt system to put the genie of nationalism back in the bottle worked about as well for Labour as posle Tita, Tito (after Tito, Tito) worked for the Yugoslav League of Communists. Suspect what the other parties also very much regret is giving the SNP a crack at it as a minority government in 2007. Hand the irrational nat nuts enough rope and they will hang themselves was no doubt the mentality but instead by being more competent than Labour (not exactly difficult) the SNP and by extension further constitutional change lost a lot of the fear factor that had previously been involved for a sizable chunk of the electorate.

What was the alternative to an SNP minority in 2007? A 3-way coalition led by Labour would have had the numbers to govern, but remember this was when the Tories were still highly toxic in Scotland (only in the last 5 years has it become in any way socially acceptable to vote for them) and this would have given the SNP a great campaigning message for the next election. Red Tories, blue Tories and orange Tories sort of thing.

The only other thing they could have done was to VONC the SNP and forced a second election, but I suspect even that would have just resulted in a similar makeup of parliament and maybe an even stronger SNP lead.

One thing I’ve never really understood was the LAB to SNP swing in the polls in the year leading up to the 2011 election. In the spring of 2010 it looked likely that the SNP would just be a one term government and less than a year later, they won an outright majority and flipped a lot of constituencies that had been voting Labour for decades.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I know but thing is it's not like the genie was ever getting out unless they let it, even if we had returned a clean sweep of snp mp's at a general election, there would be nothing they could do to force the uk government to grant devolution, unless there was a hung parliament which in 97 & 01 was never on the cards. They could have easily chosen to ignore us and it would have made f**k all difference .

Ah Stormzy, yet again howling at the moon. When the first referendum was called, Yes voters were very much in the minority but throughout the campaign support rose to 45%. This time support starts at around 50% and I suspect will rise during the campaign. The yoons are absolutely terrified of a 2nd referendum

Latest yoon tack among those I know is that any indyref must have a minimum turnout, and a threshold higher than 50% for yes. This is in the premise of "making sure its the will of the people"

Its the Trade Unions Act under a different guise [emoji1787]

Absolutely scrambling, but yiu just know that view is going to make it into the mainstream

11 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Ah Stormzy, yet again howling at the moon. When the first referendum was called, Yes voters were very much in the minority but throughout the campaign support rose to 45%. This time support starts at around 50% and I suspect will rise during the campaign. The yoons are absolutely terrified of a 2nd referendum

Okay, perhaps try and address what I've said rather than just telling me your random thoughts on random subjects. 

44 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What was the alternative to an SNP minority in 2007? ...

A Labour-LibDem coalition government could have continued as a minority if it could survive votes of no confidence but the Tories decided they preferred to have the SNP in there instead.

A Labour-LibDem coalition government could have continued as a minority if it could survive votes of no confidence but the Tories decided they preferred to have the SNP in there instead.

Didn’t the Lib Dems say they’d only talk to the party who had the most seats?

53 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

The SNP unity with the Greens is attractive to the younger voters who see the branch party's as belonging to the past, so there will be strong support for Independence coming from that section of our community. 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Didn’t the Lib Dems say they’d only talk to the party who had the most seats?

...it's been a while so would need to do some googling to refresh my memory on all the gory details. Bottom line is that the mainstream Unionist trio probably wish in retrospect that they had imposed an ongoing cordon sanitaire on the SNP in a mainstream German parties with the AfD sort of way.