Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

People who oppose another referendum oppose democracy and are no better than the cretins in America who were chanting "Stop the count!"

It's also incredibly short sighted to be so against democracy on a single issue. Thin end of the wedge and all that. Will the democracy deniers be so desperate to stop democracy when it's something they don't oppose that is being denied?

Unionists should try and put their case for 'No' forward, not try to stop a referendum that has a clear mandate to go ahead. Hypocrites, cowards and general arseholes to a man and woman (those who oppose a referendum that is).

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

They nearly lost Shetland and they were hammered on the list there by the SNP, and even in Orkney the SNP are breathing down their neck on the list. Watch the Scottish Government cut ferry fares now..

Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 23.47.27.png

Finally Shetland is no longer in a not to scale box in the Moray Firth.

I got all kinds of grief for mentioning it on an EoS thread when another poster brought up the issue in an Orkney context due to an Orkney club being in the NCL but think looking at how Faroese style fixed links could be effectively funded in a Scottish context is the better long term solution than ferries. Angus MacNeil has talked it up a bit in a Western Isles context:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17584787.snp-mp-calls-network-tunnels-scotlands-islands/

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

In fact the only real changes in this election were the SNP gaining Edinburgh Central from the Tories, Labour losing a list seat to the Tories (H&I) and the Greens (Central), and the Greens gaining one from the Lib Dems in NE.

The two SNP gains in East Lothian and Ayr were directly cancelled out on the list.

Also Lib Dems will no longer be represented on the Scottish Parliament Bureau and will not get an automatic question at FMQs.

Should also mean one less unionist party on the tv debates and panels going forward...  

8 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

The number of seats are an irrelevance. It’s the numbers voting one way or another that is important.

Still only 32% of the electorate voted for Pro Indy parties.  The 36% that didn’t vote and in past Scottish elections that has been nearer 50% that didn’t vote can’t just be forgotten if Independence became a reality.

The total number of registered voters in Scotland is 4,208.900

The total number who voted for pro Independence parties yesterday was 2,640.892

Now what I would like you to do is sit down with your Mum or your Dad, or a Grandparent, and show them how you achieved that 32% number.

24 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The total number of registered voters in Scotland is 4,208.900

The total number who voted for pro Independence parties yesterday was 2,640.892

Now what I would like you to do is sit down with your Mum or your Dad, or a Grandparent, and show them how you achieved that 32% number.

I think you're adding regional and constituency votes together. Even then it still doesn't look right.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

People who oppose another referendum oppose democracy and are no better than the cretins in America who were chanting "Stop the count!"

It's also incredibly short sighted to be so against democracy on a single issue. Thin end of the wedge and all that. Will the democracy deniers be so desperate to stop democracy when it's something they don't oppose that is being denied?

Unionists should try and put their case for 'No' forward, not try to stop a referendum that has a clear mandate to go ahead. Hypocrites, cowards and general arseholes to a man and woman (those who oppose a referendum that is).

Does it take long to screech the word “currency” seven-hundred times?

3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

How do you do fellow football supporters ?

I see his point, but it's more like no-one remembers  who scored the winning goal in the cup final, but they do remember who loaded the kit onto the coach.

5 hours ago, paolo2143 said:

Funny how Tories have been telling us that Boris Johnson, Margaret Thatcher & Theresa May all had a mandate to push through their policies when by using your same method of (including Non voters) this is what they achieved

1979: Thatcher 33.3%

1983: Thatcher 31.17% (got a landslide off this)

1987: Thatcher 31.78% (another Tory landslide which led to her imposing poll tax on Scotland as guinea pig trial)

2015: David Cameron 24% forced through Brexit referendum (even with the UKIP party they had 32.82%)

2017: Theresa May 29.18%9even after bribing DUP for a £Billion) only just over 30%. UK press/Tories said mandate for Tory Brexit

2019: BoJo 29.36% and even with Brexit party added 30.7% (Unionists/Tories said he had mandate for oven ready Brexit deal)

The fact remains that Scotland just had a democratic election where the Greens/SNP stood on Pro Indy platform the other 3 main UK unionist parties stood firmly against it and guess what we returned an even bigger Pro Indy Parliament than ever before. Pro Indy majority now 15. That is based on a much fairer voting system.

If we had first past post the post system as in Westminster the Pro Indy majority would have been 51 and that is on only 73 seats. That would equate to a 250 plus majority in Westminster.

The tories/ unionists had only 5 seats on the first past the post vote.

5 hours ago, paolo2143 said:

Funny how Tories have been telling us that Boris Johnson, Margaret Thatcher & Theresa May all had a mandate to push through their policies when by using your same method of (including Non voters) this is what they achieved

1979: Thatcher 33.3%

1983: Thatcher 31.17% (got a landslide off this)

1987: Thatcher 31.78% (another Tory landslide which led to her imposing poll tax on Scotland as guinea pig trial)

2015: David Cameron 24% forced through Brexit referendum (even with the UKIP party they had 32.82%)

2017: Theresa May 29.18%9even after bribing DUP for a £Billion) only just over 30%. UK press/Tories said mandate for Tory Brexit

2019: BoJo 29.36% and even with Brexit party added 30.7% (Unionists/Tories said he had mandate for oven ready Brexit deal)

The fact remains that Scotland just had a democratic election where the Greens/SNP stood on Pro Indy platform the other 3 main UK unionist parties stood firmly against it and guess what we returned an even bigger Pro Indy Parliament than ever before. Pro Indy majority now 15. That is based on a much fairer voting system.

If we had first past post the post system as in Westminster the Pro Indy majority would have been 51 and that is on only 73 seats. That would equate to a 250 plus majority in Westminster.

Are those figures a percentage of those who voted, or of eligible voters? I'm assuming the former; Westminster figures can get quite depressing when you add in the people who couldn't be arsed.

I only ask because one of my favourite political stats was from the last (I think) EU elections, where UKIP were lionised in the press as having the overwhelming backing of the British public with a single-figure percentage of the vote  :P

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Finally Shetland is no longer in a not to scale box in the Moray Firth.

I got all kinds of grief for mentioning it on an EoS thread when another poster brought up the issue in an Orkney context due to an Orkney club being in the NCL but think looking at how Faroese style fixed links could be effectively funded in a Scottish context is the better long term solution than ferries. Angus MacNeil has talked it up a bit in a Western Isles context:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17584787.snp-mp-calls-network-tunnels-scotlands-islands/

The total length of the Faroese tunnels is 11.24km and according to Wiki it cost 2.6bn DKK, or about £300m (which looks suspiciously low). Let's say £30m per km. The toll is about £10.

John O'Groats to South Ronaldsay is about 13km, so it's feasible.

Realistically, the shortest tunnel for the Western Isles would be Skye to Harris, at 40km. It's still a long way from there to Stornoway, of course, but a tunnel from Ullapool would be over 75km. £1.2bn for a tunnel just to Harris? Hm.

Shetland though... that's a long way out there. You're looking at 135km from Orkney alone. There's no way £4bn is a justifiable cost. That's what the entire Scottish public sector spends on construction each year - roads, schools, hospitals, council housing, universities, colleges, water infrastructure, the lot.

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 18.30.51.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 18.31.39.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 18.37.08.png

Just now, GordonS said:

Shetland though... that's a long way out there. You're looking at 135km from Orkney alone....

If you are not interested in discussing this in a reasonable manner and you are going to absurdly distort what could be done by suggesting it would be Sumburgh to Kirkwall then there is clearly no point trying to engage you in intelligent conversation. I'll know better than to try in future.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If you are not interested in discussing this in a reasonable manner and you are going to absurdly distort what could be done by suggesting it would be Sumburgh to Kirkwall then there is clearly no point trying to engage you in intelligent conversation. I'll know better than to try in future.

I think you might be massively overestimating how much you could save by skipping across Sanday.

Have a look on Google maps and see for yourself.

28 minutes ago, spongeheid15 said:

When do the schools get there free laptops and bikes, also a dentist should now be free, all promised pre election by the natzies, (lies as usual) co***** barstewards. 

Never has a poster been so aptly named.

Aye, because all pre election pledges normally come into force the day after an election.