Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

This from John Curtice... not sure if posted already.

The final share of the vote for the pro-independence parties combined on the two ballots is as follows:

• Constituency vote 49
  • List vote 50.1

This leaves plenty of room for argument as to whether or not this election did register majority support for the idea of holding another referendum on independence.

I think SNP campaign both votes was very clever as it has stopped Alba/Salmond from splitting the party. But sadly this also hurt the Greens which only got 8 seats when they should have got more. 

Those that vote SNP in the future need to be educated on the listed vote. 

Edited by betting competition

Why not...it works
It does. In Angus Braden fucking Davy and an even more useless Tory Councillor were elected purely by campaigning against IndyRef2 and totally ignoring any awkward questions as to how to address certain local issues. Delighted to see the wee p***k failed to get elected as an MSP yesterday. c**t.

6 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I think SNP campaign both votes was very clever as it has stopped Alba/Salmond from splitting the party. But sadly this also hurt the Greens which only got 8 seats when they should have got more. 

Those that vote SNP in the future need to be educated on the listed vote. 

Nearly 1.1 million list votes. Result? 2 seats for the SNP.

Fucking hell.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Labour specifically did not stand on a constitutional ticket so the 50/50 split is disingenuous 

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Curtice can suck my nutsack. 

He's perpetuating the myth that somehow in Scotland.....and Scotland alone....the right to govern depends on the exact percentage of the vote the winning party gets. 

Nope. Forget seats and all that nonsense. The SNP...and the SNP alone.....have no right to enact the proposals in their mandate because despite gaining 90% of the constituency seats, they only got 49% of the vote. 

This kind of ridiculous shite that needs challenged at every turn and knocked on the head instantly.

I can only hold my hands up and apologise for double voting the SNP in Dundee East; I know how the list works and I know I should have voted for Green but I don’t really know how to explain the irrational worry of some weird upset happening across Scotland. It’s daft in hindsight but it is what it is. Won’t be stacking SNP votes next time.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Maybe in this parliament they will be brave enough to call a referendum despite it having no chance of being voted through by Westminster. They weren’t last time.

Fifty/fifty on independence more or less in the polls, here in 2021 as opposed to 25% yes prior to 2014.

Of course Boris Johnson will not approve indy ref2. He COULD lose. He fears this and so do you. Clear as fucking day.

His chummy bonhomie and casual dog whistling might go down well south of the border and with a fucking hopeless opposition led by Keith, who's more beige than a 1978 Austin Maxi, what he gets away with there doesn't work here.

Johnson stayed well the f**k away from Scotland in this election but in a referendum campaign with him at the helm, he is a fucking liability. 

54 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Hoy insisting this is a bad day for SNP. What a walloper! :lol:

Seriously???

A landslide in 2011, a landslide in 2016 with more votes and a higher vote share, and now another landslide with more seats, more votes and a higher share. More votes than Labour and Tory combined and more seats than all the unionist parties put together.

The 2011 majority was a freak of the numbers, just because of where the votes fell. But 2016 and 2021 were better results for the SNP. And all this after 14 years in power, 12 of which were in austerity.

Spinning this as anything else is absolutely laughable. There really is only one possible narrative on this result.

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Curtice can suck my nutsack. 

He's perpetuating the myth that somehow in Scotland.....and Scotland alone....the right to govern depends on the exact percentage of the vote the winning party gets. 

Nope. Forget seats and all that nonsense. The SNP...and the SNP alone.....have no right to enact the proposals in their mandate because despite gaining 90% of the constituency seats, they only got 49% of the vote. 

This kind of ridiculous shite that needs challenged at every turn and knocked on the head instantly.

It's nuts - there's more quibbling over their right to govern with 64 seats than there was when they got 47 seats in 2007.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Am I right in thinking the Lib Dems are no longer a party in Holyrood?

They're no longer a group. Off the parliamentary bureau, no involvement in setting the agenda of parliament and I think there will be a cut in their questions at FMQs.

They've been absolutely rinsed by the Greens and really, on TV panels and stuff like that, it should just be the four largest parties now.