Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

What's embarrassing is that you don't understand democracy 

What evidence is there that the majority in scotland want another independence referendum. Please show me? You'll be looking for quite some time

1 minute ago, edinabear said:

What evidence is there that the majority in scotland want another independence referendum. Please show me?

A parliamentary mandate. It's what matters in a democracy.

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Now it’s the classic some of the people voting for the union parties are actually Indy supporters.
Maybe true. Equally, some of the people voting for the separatist parties are actually unionists. We can speculate on what percentage may be what. But, what is without question, is more people in Scotland voted for unionist parties in the constituency ballot than separatists. Probably be true on the list too.
Absolutely LOVE how precious the nats get when this inconvenient fact gets pointed out.

If only there was a way we could determine what people think on such a single issue subject..

These bellends trying to argue that a massive election landslide with both vote and share up on 2016 (which was also up on 2011), isn't a mandate for the main policy in that party's manifesto, which is also supported by another party whose vote and share is up, presumably take the same approach to Johnson's 43.6%.

I mean, they wouldn't be massive partisan hypocrites or anything. 

What evidence is there that the majority in scotland want another independence referendum. Please show me? You'll be looking for quite some time

Boris got 43%.......Brexit got done.

At this exact moment, Indy supporting parties have 66 MSP's.  That's a majority which will only increase as the evening wears on.

23 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Majority of seats but not majority of votes. If the Nationalist vote is above 50% then fine have another indyref. The reality is that the Nationalist vote has not increased at all since 2014. Continually stuck between 45 and 49%. Scottish politics is forever stuck in this nonsense cycle. 

You really haven't been paying attention.  Ten, fifteen, twenty years ago this victory by the SNP would have been regarded as truly sensational; today is regarded as Scotland's default political position.  Now I'll concede that they failed to claim a majority, but cast your eyes towards England where Labour is peering into an electoral abyss as the most corrupt UK Government of the modern age runs riot on a tide of Brexit-fulled cod patriotism.  Sooner or later the 30% of Scottish Labour voters who are well disposed to independence will begin to move across the aisle as that reality bites.  Add to that the demographic factor that they are really not manufacturing many Unionists up here now and your closing sentence might be the nonsense.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

If only there was a way we could determine what people think on such a single issue subject..

Well yeah there is because who has the real mandate is up for debate the only solution is a second  independence referendum.

I'm now quite glad that Willie Rennie got to make his big televised speech yesterday. That one about how he knows that Scotland definitely doesn't want another referendum.

Hopefully we'll be hearing a lot less from the tadger.

If his party don't pick up another seat; then that is them losing their party status in parliament.

No longer watching that gap toothed wee grinning gremlin popping up on the news when the cover FM questions is a blessing in itself.

Tories have played them like a fiddle.

3 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Combined, much less than the amount of Labour voters who support Indy. Nice try though.

Do you have the figures? Would be interested to have a look. 

Someone linked a survey of Labour voters just a few posts up though. Do you have the same for Green/SNP voters? I’ll wait.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

Well yeah there is because who has the real mandate is up for debate the only solution is a second  independence referendum.

I'm fine with that, don't think it will solve anything right enough. 

Just now, SweeperDee said:

Someone linked a survey of Labour voters just a few posts up though. Do you have the same for Green/SNP voters? I’ll wait.

Well no, that's why I literally asked someone else to share the figures. 

Yeah it’s the same conversations as have been happening for the last five years that will happen for the next five.
‘Historic mandate for a referendum, clear and settled will of the Scottish people etc etc’
Oh, what percentage of votes went to Indy supporting parties?
‘48%’
Right so the majority of voters voted for parties who want to stay in the union?
‘Yes, but what about the Tories?’
What percentage voted for the Tories in 2019?

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Thought you didn't believe in polls?

The usual figure for Labour is around 30% indy, whilst the SNP are usually around 92% indy. I'm not aware of any reliable figures for the greens