Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Guest Jedi

Essentially 'as you were' since 2016, then...allowing Johnson et al to trumpet-no SNP majority-no mandate....its going to be a long 5 years until the next one.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I often wonder if those who seem to wet their pants over the currency issue, to such an extent that it may have a major influence on their vote for independence, are able to function when they go abroad....are they able to cope with the use of euros in Europe...or do they just not try and pack their suitcases full of teabags and baked beans?

I don't think the questions concern how to do a conversion sum.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I often wonder if those who seem to wet their pants over the currency issue, to such an extent that it may have a major influence on their vote for independence, are able to function when they go abroad....are they able to cope with the use of euros in Europe...or do they just not try and pack their suitcases full of teabags and baked beans?

rightly or wrongly I think over currency they are probably thinking about their savings or their mortgage monthly payments

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

It’s just an easy scare story. “Currency” has all kinds of immediate connotations to folk: the coins in their pocket, the notes they draw out of the ATM, the numbers they crunch into eBay or Amazon, the figures they see on their bank statement. Clarion calls, however baseless, of “Scotland won’t have a currency” (or any variations thereof) are thus easily associated with a threat to folks’ pockets, bank accounts, and the shit they’re buying online. They work.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Essentially 'as you were' since 2016, then...allowing Johnson et al to trumpet-no SNP majority-no mandate....its going to be a long 5 years until the next one.

This was always going to end up in court. Johnson won't give a f**k about saying No and would have done so with 70 SNP seats. 

1 minute ago, BigDoddyKane said:

rightly or wrongly I think over currency they are probably thinking about their savings or their mortgage monthly payments

yes I realise that but I suspect a lot simply dont want un-familiar money in their pockets....fear of change (pardon the pun)

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

You keep building up a straw man argument that the SNP should endorse another party, which nobody has stated that they should.

They should keep campaigning for both votes.

Learn from the mistakes of Labour who did not value the list vote when they were in power. Folk were throwing votes to the SSP, SSCUP, Green or anyone else. Dismissing the 2nd vote is a long term losing plan.

You haven't identified a single positive for the SNP from them telling their voters to vote elsewhere.

Just now, HTG said:

This was always going to end up in court. Johnson won't give a f**k about saying No and would have done so with 70 SNP seats. 

Indeed. I'm fairly confident the Westminster government will lose the case as well, which in theory could mean that they play brinkmanship but eventually acquiesce before it comes to that.

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

yes I realise that but I suspect a lot simply dont want un-familiar money in their pockets....fear of change (pardon the pun)

a clear plan for currency with answers to address those questions would maybe sway some of them to vote yes, no clear plan wont

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You haven't identified a single positive for the SNP from them telling their voters to vote elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

You keep building up a straw man argument that the SNP should endorse another party, which nobody has stated that they should.

I worked in France, Austria and Ireland for a couple of years a piece in each country.
The latter two have nothing like the resources we have but a MUCH higher standard of living. Ireland has a population similar to ours, Austria about double.
We can be at least as good as these countries. Don't let anybody tell you different. 
Unfortunately, the media tells us we can't and to many, that's the perceived view.

Latest GDP per capita globally put UK at 22nd in the world.

This was behind Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Iceland, Finland, Netherlands, Sweden and Austria.

Conclusion - being a country in Northern Europe with a low population, you would have to make a hell of an arse of things not to be prosperous. Throw in abundant natural resources and that’s even moreso - which is why I struggle with this default to Tory from the affluent, especially with the one-way ticket to Boris’ xenophobic Daily Express cloud-cuckoo land that’s currently on offer.

Yep. Be interesting to see how quickly the court case is brought. Will drag on for years regardless, and whichever side loses will appeal. The lawyers are going to do well out of it.

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Yep. Be interesting to see how quickly the court case is brought. Will drag on for years regardless, and whichever side loses will appeal. The lawyers are going to do well out of it.

No route to appeal I don’t think. It goes straight to the Supreme Court.