Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

When the Tory campaign is lend us your 2nd vote the SNP have to counter with a message about 2nd votes.

No they don't, because they are mopping up the constituencies regardless.

There are definitely centrist melts who vote SNP and would give their second vote to the Tories for balance if they weren't explicitly told that the SNP  wants both votes.

I don't think that you believe a word of this tbh. 

Greens or other pro-Indy parties that want a vote on the list they need to do a better job on their own campaign. It shouldn't be up to the SNP to help them,

The only group helping another on the Yes side are Greens helping the SNP by not standing candidates. The SNP's campaign has been moronic. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What are your concerns re currency? We are more than able to form our own currency etc. 

Of course we are- but what would it be pegged to the Euro or the pound? Is sterlingisation the answer? Loads of questions that need to be considered. Not just a case of 'omg look at our new bawbees'

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suppose it shows the extent of trepidation over independence that chunks of the population genuinely feel.

I sympathise with the doubt.  I want independence, but I've got concerns regarding currency and suchlike.  Others do too.  It surprises me that such concerns are big enough to allow people who wouldn't normally, to vote Tory, but it seems to be the case.

There's still an argument to be won and it's not an easy one.

I worked in France, Austria and Ireland for a couple of years a piece in each country.

The latter two have nothing like the resources we have but a MUCH higher standard of living. Ireland has a population similar to ours, Austria about double.

We can be at least as good as these countries. Don't let anybody tell you different. 

Unfortunately, the media tells us we can't and to many, that's the perceived view.

Edited by speckled tangerine

Just now, virginton said:

The only group helping another on the Yes side are Greens helping the SNP by not standing candidates. The SNP's campaign has been moronic. 

The SNP are going to win almost as many seats as they can here. What do you want them to do? Would endorsing a party like Alba, a complete busted flush, actually help anything.

There are 2 scenarios.

SNP majority, throwing votes to other pro indy parties doesn't help here.

SNP minority, supported by a smaller indy party which is what we will continue to have.

Long term it is actually good for the SNP to stop a smaller Indy party usurping them and stealing their vote, which was the Alba plan. At least the Greens are happy to run on the list and get a few more MSPs from the SNP's lefty voters.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What are your concerns re currency? We are more than able to form our own currency etc. 

I often wonder if those who seem to wet their pants over the currency issue, to such an extent that it may have a major influence on their vote for independence, are able to function when they go abroad....are they able to cope with the use of euros in Europe...or do they just not try and pack their suitcases full of teabags and baked beans?

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The SNP are going to win almost as many seats as they can here. What do you want them to do? Would endorsing a party like Alba, a complete busted flush, actually help anything.

You keep building up a straw man argument that the SNP should endorse another party, which nobody has stated that they should.

Long term it is actually good for the SNP to stop a smaller Indy party usurping them and stealing their vote, which was the Alba plan. At least the Greens are happy to run on the list and get a few more MSPs from the SNP's lefty voters.

They are pro-independence votes; if the Scottish National Party whose apparent M.O. is to achieve Scottish independence is happy to sit on its arse and count its own utterly useless regional vote total while a stack of Yoons slither back to Holyrood instead then we're through the looking glass here. 

Edited by vikingTON