Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

46 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Absolutely howling at “I am your nemesis”.

Another *definitely normal* Alba mouthpiece. Not a party of bigots and lunatics one bit. No sir. 100% not a detriment to the independence cause.

Jeggit is a prize plum. Seen him getting all stroppy teenager when they wouldn't let him have a wee speech spot at AUOB in Edinburgh. 

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

....We are fully Ulsterised now....

I seriously doubt people in Scotland would be able to successfully guess which side of the constitutional divide up to around 90% of the population is on simply by looking at their facial features or that they would usually have a very good idea of somebody's probable political leanings simply by looking at their name. We'll never truly be anything like Ulster even if we have some of the same social divisions on the go in parts of the central belt.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’re correct.

Someone like me will always vote tactically for the union whereas others will always vote SNP no matter the policies.

I voted Labour and Conservative despite not liking anything about Labour.

What to do about it?

Maybe if we could agree to have an independence poll every so often, say 10, 15, 20years then in the intervening period people could vote for the party whose policies on the economy, education, health etc., they wanted.

I reckon there must be a solution to this hopeless mess which we are now in.

Years ago the SNP were referred to as ‘tartan tories’ whereas now they tend to be ex Labour.

Anyway, maybe someone’s got some ideas how to bring about more ‘normal’ politics.

Maybe we should, you know, respect a vote on whether we should hold a referendum, by our elected representatives in the er, Scottish parliament. Wouldn't you say that was fair and democratic? If not why not?

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Two of the geographically smallest seats in the country still to come in Edinburgh and the same for one in Glasgow. Pure riddie. 

I have no idea how the counts are working but that would say to me the reduced counters means they're focusing on a constituency at a time at the specific counts.

Edited by NotThePars

Just now, NotThePars said:

I have no idea how the counts are working but that would say the reduced counters means they're focusing on a constituency at a time at the specific counts.

So you could say they are being very specific?

5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You’re correct.

Someone like me will always vote tactically for the union whereas others will always vote SNP no matter the policies.

I voted Labour and Conservative despite not liking anything about Labour.

What to do about it?

Maybe if we could agree to have an independence poll every so often, say 10, 15, 20years then in the intervening period people could vote for the party whose policies on the economy, education, health etc., they wanted.

I reckon there must be a solution to this hopeless mess which we are now in.

Years ago the SNP were referred to as ‘tartan tories’ whereas now they tend to be ex Labour.

Anyway, maybe someone’s got some ideas how to bring about more ‘normal’ politics.

the Tartan tories thats true, in the past they were clearly

not anymore though but I dont think they are as progressive as they say or think, more neo liberal at the moment but for me independence wouldd not be about the SNP at all, its about standing on our own 2 feet

Edited by BigDoddyKane

That McEleny tweet is wild.  Is anyone in the Alba Party not unhinged?  

Overall, I think the SNP will be quite happy with that projection.  Greens probably would've wanted to break double figures but I wonder if some people swithered back to the SNP when they were in the polling station.  71 pro-referendum seats though - that's the same as in 2011 and assumably with a bigger share of vote backing pro-independence parties/candidates than that time.

The Lib Dems will be absolutely sick at only getting four seats though.  Fair enough, they retained the local seats they held but getting nothing on the list is a sickener.

Edited by Highland Capital

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

Always makes me smile. You’ll hear plenty nationalists say ‘I don’t agree with the SNP on xyz but they’re the best vehicle to independence so I’ll be voting for them’. Unionists do similar and it’s all traitors, quislings etc etc.
You’re right the actual issues don’t matter and they haven’t for a long time. Hard to imagine a situation in the foreseeable future when a Scottish election is decided on anything that isn’t constitutional matters. It’s shite but I can’t see any way of changing it.

Scotland becoming an independent country will change it. The Scottish Nationalist movement have battered unionism to the point that the Union is now the only thing that Tories/Labour/Lib Dem can vote for. 

Until we get the result that we want, the question will keep being asked and that's the way it is.