Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

Always makes me smile. You’ll hear plenty nationalists say ‘I don’t agree with the SNP on xyz but they’re the best vehicle to independence so I’ll be voting for them’. Unionists do similar and it’s all traitors, quislings etc etc.
You’re right the actual issues don’t matter and they haven’t for a long time. Hard to imagine a situation in the foreseeable future when a Scottish election is decided on anything that isn’t constitutional matters. It’s shite but I can’t see any way of changing it.

Separation would change it.

9 minutes ago, Lex said:

Always makes me smile. You’ll hear plenty nationalists say ‘I don’t agree with the SNP on xyz but they’re the best vehicle to independence so I’ll be voting for them’. Unionists do similar and it’s all traitors, quislings etc etc.
You’re right the actual issues don’t matter and they haven’t for a long time. Hard to imagine a situation in the foreseeable future when a Scottish election is decided on anything that isn’t constitutional matters. It’s shite but I can’t see any way of changing it.

I don't think that's what people are doing, or at least, it's not what I'm doing. I can understand voters tactically switching between Labour and Lib Dem, or from Tory to those parties. But anyone who switches from Lib Dem or Labour to the Tories is saying they care more about flegs than social justice. That's pretty abhorrent IMO.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

People who vote for the SNP solely for IndyRef2 moaning about Unionists voting tactically is a tad hypocritical.

We are fully Ulsterised now. It's a shite state of affairs but elections are simply constitutional head counts. If there has been a single policy discussed on here in the last 24 hours I must have missed it. 

You’re correct.

Someone like me will always vote tactically for the union whereas others will always vote SNP no matter the policies.

I voted Labour and Conservative despite not liking anything about Labour.

What to do about it?

Maybe if we could agree to have an independence poll every so often, say 10, 15, 20years then in the intervening period people could vote for the party whose policies on the economy, education, health etc., they wanted.

I reckon there must be a solution to this hopeless mess which we are now in.

Years ago the SNP were referred to as ‘tartan tories’ whereas now they tend to be ex Labour.

Anyway, maybe someone’s got some ideas how to bring about more ‘normal’ politics.