Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Knowing that they have a majority on just the other side of the bridge where they'd vote for a seagull wearing a Lib Dem rosette must really rub salt in the wound.

Wee Willie as a seagull- they generally flap about, making an awful racket and shite on everything.

It makes sense...

6 minutes ago, wirez said:

She's another one that has that "kept every ball that was kicked in her garden" look about her.

😀 Too true! Had to deal with a few of those types in my youth. 

Liz Smith was phoning people begging for their votes on Tuesday. She fucking kent she was getting kept out on the constituency.

Great to see Jim Fairlie in.

I think Edinburgh Pentlands is probably the only one that is in real danger of going to Tories. Although wee Patrick Harvie might sneak Glasgow Kelvin and put a real damper on things lol

As far as Aberdeen West goes i am expecting nothing less than a Tory majority of 3,500 plus thanks to Lib Dem's.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

03D54C67-9676-4794-B01C-B2D480B115A4.jpeg.5008126085aa1dfc59fe86c10039f491.jpeg

After 14 years in government the percentage share is up and we’re winning seats from other parties.  No serious political commentator can spin that as a failure.

Not enough though

Needs to be above 50 to risk calling another referendum that slimly fails a la Quebec

Simply, not enough time has passed, not enough baby boomers have passed being replaced with 16 yr olds who identify more as Scottish

Leave it another 8 years as suggested in 2014

An earlier one risks failure and the end of the process

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What the f**k was Chris McEleny havering about there? Was someone saying it wasn't safe to have a referendum?

I'm sure he also said that trident costs two hundred thousand million. A wee bit of an exaggeration there.

8 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

...As far as Aberdeen West goes i am expecting nothing less than a Tory majority of 3,500 plus thanks to Lib Dem's.

Suspect you are right but there was no Lib Dem to Tory swing in Aberdeen South and North Kincardine and not too many Labour voters to be found in Aberdeenshire West:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

51 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...which is why Nicola will be hoping Boris uses the legal system to block a referendum for another electoral cycle. Keep stoking the general mood of grievance until it's possible to have comfortably over 50% in the Yes camp. The Yes side has a more efficient strategy for electing MSPs right now than the parties in the No camp so pro-independence Holyrood governance  emerged significantly before the outright pro-independence majority needed to actually win a referedum.

Possibly. In practice politicians are generally less calculating than that and they go for what they're after.

It's odd that both the Tories and the SNP might both benefit from Johnson refusing to allow a referendum.

I think this election makes a future Scottish election very dangerous for the SNP. The vast majority of constituencies are now SNP-unionist two-horse races, and the SNP are getting over 45% in a minority of them. The unionist side only needs a little more tactical voting to turf the SNP out in pretty much every rural seat - and the main beneficiary would be the Tories.

Also, if there is another devolved Scottish Parliament election the SNP will have been in power for 18-19 years, with Nicola doing 11-12 years. That has to take a toll.