Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

There's going to be a pro-indy parliament legislating for an independence referendum so you have nothing to worry about.

We've had that and nowt happened. 

This is way out, but when the pro independence parliament pass a referendum bill and its completely rejected and laughed at by WM, then this surely puts into scope the legitimacy of the Scottish Parliament. Now what i mean by that is that turnouts increasing is related to constitutional question, ie thats what excites people the most. If that excitement goes then we are back to the boredom of Scottish politics. Let's face it people aren't going to keep voting SNP if nothing happens....so. propose a referendum on abolishing the parliament v full independence. That would be a slam dunk imo

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

You elected Jackie fucking Baillie.

DB46B0A0-EBBD-4647-848D-4FBB216816F0.png.f06261953792899bb6bce53b6ac3a64c.png

No, I elected Natalie Don, who ive already said was an excellent candidate, engaged brilliantly on local issues and concerns and im absolutely delighted she won. 
Absolutely its a riddy that Baillie got elected, completely agree, but she increased her majority. I genuinely think a decent candidate would have spanked her. Genuinely just feels like the SNP guy Toni something felt like he was entitled to win Dumbarton. He really failed to engage in places like Helensburgh etc and I think that’s what cost him.

Is it just me or have the BBC become so biased now they don't even attempt to hide it? I know they have always been that way with wording or putting spin on it. But now it is just obvious, not holding back at all. The way they describe swings and majorities is just so wrong. Curtis is an absolute melt too.

1 hour ago, paolo2143 said:

I don't think Alex Salmond who is currently more unpopular in Scotland than Boris Johnson was right guy to front party.

What many of us did say was that in most regions SNP voters should have backed the Greens on List. If even half the SNP voters had done this the Greens would have bee on 20% or more and won around 20 seats on list.

I don't disagree. 

To be honest think the best we can hope for today in terms of SNP is that they hold Edinburgh Pentlands & Perthsire & Kinross South( given tactical voting that is a big ask).

If the SNP could hold all their constituency seats along with those 3 gains that is  a pretty amazing result.

I cannot see any chance of them gaining Aberdeen West as it is clear the Lib Dems & Labour will scupper that.

Let's hope the Greens win at least 8 MSP's

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Salmond being in Holyrood would have turned the soft No’s into harder No’s. 

That doesn't detract from the idea that something different needs to happen, I can't stand listening to Nicola any longer and I'm YES, God only knows how many in the middle that she's actually turned that way as well. 

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

You elected Jackie fucking Baillie.

DB46B0A0-EBBD-4647-848D-4FBB216816F0.png.f06261953792899bb6bce53b6ac3a64c.png

No, this will not do.  For about the third time on this thread, there is a very economically challenged area, and a great number of people rely on Faslane and Coulport for their livelihoods.  Baillie plays the Unionist card on this at every opportunity, seemingly comfortable with ignoring Scottish Labour policy.  I don't like it but there you go.

Add to that there is still a religious element to voting here, and again Baillie cultivates that sector.  She has been the incumbent since 1999 and has been a hardworking MSP since then.  She has also been a good ally to Dumbarton FC in our many travails.  I know her personally and she is at the better end of the personal and performance scale despite me disagreeing with her core political beliefs.

I've never voted for Jackie Baillie and I never will.  So, as ICR has already intimated and I have outlined above, you can imagine how fucking pissed off a lot of us have been as a series of lightweight, afterthought SNP candidates has appeared and failed, when we really need a good respected local candidate.

If you or anyone has a gripe at the failure of the SNP to capture the Dumbarton seat then direct your fucking anger at at SNP HQ rather than the 16K plus of us who did our best.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, this will not do.  For about the third time on this thread, there is a very economically challenged area, and a great number of people rely on Faslane and Coulport for their livelihoods.  Baillie plays the Unionist card on this at every opportunity, seemingly comfortable with ignoring Scottish Labour policy.  I don't like it but there you go.

Add to that there is still a religious element to voting here, and again Baillie cultivates that sector.  She has been the incumbent since 1999 and has been a hardworking MSP since then.  She has also been a good ally to Dumbarton FC in our many travails.  I know her personally and she is at the better end of the personal and performance scale despite me disagreeing with her core political beliefs.

I've never voted for Jackie Baillie and I never will.  So, as ICR has already intimated and I have outlined above, you can imagine how fucking pissed off a lot of us have been as a series of lightweight, afterthought SNP candidates has appeared and failed, when we really need a good respected local candidate.

If you or anyone has a gripe at the failure of the SNP to capture the Dumbarton seat then direct your fucking anger at at SNP HQ rather than the 16K plus of us who did our best.

Bit weird that you didn't mention her weight once 

That doesn't detract from the idea that something different needs to happen, I can't stand listening to Nicola any longer and I'm YES, God only knows how many in the middle that she's actually turned that way as well. 
Vote share has increased - it's not soft Yes switching but the hardlines unionists switching - Stop the SNP is all they care about. We are talking about 5-8% of hardline unionist voters determining these seats.

The answer for me is to target those voters, particularly in SLab, who either support independence or are soft Nos. That means a greater part played by those outside the SNP in the independence movement.

Yeah, the Aberdeenshire East result pretty clearly shows there is now zero chance of the SNP majority. Slim last night, zero now.

The main headline of the election is over. All about the extent of Green gains and Tory holds (or lack there of) on the list, and whether the SNP can hold Edinburgh Pentlands and.. the other one that they’re defending that I forget.

Yeah, the Aberdeenshire East result pretty clearly shows there is now zero chance of the SNP majority. Slim last night, zero now.

The main headline of the election is over. All about the extent of Green gains and Tory holds (or lack there of) on the list, and whether the SNP can hold Edinburgh Pentlands and.. the other one that they’re defending that I forget.
South Perthshire and Kinross

53 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Sorry heading out on a pub crawl around Southend at 12pm.... but one nugget for you. Hearing Aberdeenshire West looking good for the SNP, and that probably means majority

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Aberdeenshire West looking good for the Conservatives now

51 minutes.

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If Dumbarton SNP was to run a good well respected candidate they’d absolutely clean up, Martin Hughes is a cracking MP, people mobilise behind him. There was a massive amount of SNP careerists attempting to get in the constituency places. The SNP in West Dunbartonshire has always been a wee bit ‘yeh but indy’, I know a few of them through football at Clydebank and growing up in Dumbarton, the issue being they’d be willing to adopt an ‘indy before all others’ type candidate whereby the electorate wants someone who’s at least semi-literate on local issues. 

20 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Nicola Sturgeon is miles ahead of any other party leader, so where do these middle folk go?

The problem is we have Yes activists like Denise Findlay, Mr Malky,  Neil Mackay ,Wings et al spouting about how they hate her and advocating not to vote for the only feasible party that can deliver Indy. These clowns are the ones that are making things less likely to happen by trying to split the support. Nicola Sturgeon has probably hoovered up a lot of the middle ground but lost the extremists to Alba. She says she will deliver an Indy ref if she doesn't she will be held to account.

Edited by dirty dingus