Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Just now, ayrmad said:

I'm neither Alba nor SNP and I'm no more beeling about it as I was on Wednesday, folk will eventually realise that independence will only come about with a long term strategy rather than this vote for me vote for me pish. 

There's going to be a pro-indy parliament legislating for an independence referendum so you have nothing to worry about.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No political party is going to advocate voting for another.

In the SNP's case if they had done an SNP 1 Green 2 campaign it would have cost them constituencies.

Essentially the Tories did this by saying 'Peach Vote Tory'.  SNP didn't need to explicitly say 'Vote Green'. 

This.

Are the unionists now dictating which votes count and which don't in the Scottish Parliament?

None of this “counts” in the Scottish parliament. Calling for a referendum on Scottish independence is literally above the powers of holyrood.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No political party is going to advocate voting for another.

In the SNP's case if they had done an SNP 1 Green 2 campaign it would have cost them constituencies.

Exactly this. You also need to look at where that gets you.

Perthshire North were early adopters of vote for me to keep the Tories/SNP out.

Go and look at the PN constituency vote compared to list votes. The Lib Dems and Labour votes has been decimated in that consistency and they aren't going back.

Can some kind person point me in the direction of a site where I can find the number of votes for Alba and All for unity?

Cheers in advance.
Ballot Box Scotland on twitter has them.

Set facial expression to smirk before reading.

24 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...but it's not 50%+1 voting for pro-Yes parties so it looks like No would probably still have won a referndum if a ballot on that had also been provided as opinion polls are also suggesting right now. 

If the SNP doesn't reach 65 today Boris will have a set of arguments that will look reasonable enough to many people for not going along with a second referendum. The SNP have done very well in this election but not so well that a Yes victory is assured in the short to medium term.

Today's older generation will have to largely have departed the scene before there is likely to be a solid pro-independence majority that will stand up to an intense few weeks of electoral campaigning.

Having a mandate to hold a referendum and the likely outcome of that referendum are two entirely separate things.  If the majority of MSPs, elected under a PR system of voting, are in favour of holding IndyRef2 then there is no doubt the mandate exists.

A PM whose mandate comes from under 44% of the electorate has no legitimacy in denying it.

Whether IndyRef2 should be held at their time and it’s likely outcome is a totally different discussion.

1 hour ago, African Sunset said:

The problem with doing that though is you are essentially saying to the voters that we know we are going to win the constituency so vote green on the list. It doesn't always work out well for a party to take votes for granted as yhe voters will often turn round and kick them in the baws. If that happens and they don't have the numbers on the list to pick it back up then it's a net loss for them. No party wants that so it's easy to see why the SNP stick with both votes SNP.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Exactly. And aside from the hubris involved in suggesting people put their second vote elsewhere, the SNP have to promote 'Both Votes SNP' because if voters get into the habit of voting for another party on the regional lists, and the SNP constituency vote drops a bit, they could be back to a handful of MSPs. They need the List vote as security. It's not perhaps in the best interests of independence, but the SNP are responsible only to themselves, not the entire independence movement. Voters can of course make their own decisions based on what they think will bring the best result./

Yes, remember in 2011 when Labour lost a load of big hitters because they assumed they would take their constituency seats and didn't bother naming them on the lists.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

As a wee aside, how many of you have been doorstepped by a candidate in this or any other election? I have never once had the opportunity to tell a Tory to get to f**k off my property and feel I am missing out

Never been doorstepped by a candidate but have by an SNP volunteer a few years ago to see if we needed any help getting to the polling station. Kate Forbes dad phoned the house once about a mistake in her leaflet when she stood for the first time. 

20 minutes ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

There is still a sizeable minority of Labour voters who would vote Yes so not sure you can make the above assumption that  Yes would not win

Likely to increase in the aftermath of Hartlepool. 

I think if Alba's members had concentrated on promoting their message of maximizing nationalist msps instead of getting very mad at LGBT people on Twitter and moaning about a lack of coverage despite local journalists being pressured to cover them by their editors for the clicks, they could have done well. What a dreadful shame

2 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Yes, remember in 2011 when Labour lost a load of big hitters because they assumed they would take their constituency seats and didn't bother naming them on the lists.

Labour were hoisted on their own petard because they championed the idea that politicians should only do either the constituency or the list when it was top SNP politicians that had to rely on doing both.

None of this “counts” in the Scottish parliament. Calling for a referendum on Scottish independence is literally above the powers of holyrood.

I’ve said this the whole time. It doesn’t matter how big the majority it if the uk government doesn’t agree to it them it’s not a legally binding referendum.
If the Scottish government hold one anyway then unionist party’s will boycott the referendum and it will turn into a catalonia style farce. Yes will win 80% + with only a 40% turnout and neither the uk nor the international community will recognise the result
TLDR
It’s a waste of time

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’ve said this the whole time. It doesn’t matter how big the majority it if the uk government doesn’t agree to it them it’s not a legally binding referendum.
If the Scottish government hold one anyway then unionist party’s will boycott the referendum and it will turn into a catalonia style farce. Yes will win 80% + with only a 40% turnout and neither the uk nor the international community will recognise the result
TLDR
It’s a waste of time

Just as well that's not the plan then FFS 

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think if Alba's members had concentrated on promoting their message of maximizing nationalist msps instead of getting very mad at LGBT people on Twitter and moaning about a lack of coverage despite local journalists being pressured to cover them by their editors for the clicks, they could have done well. What a dreadful shame

And battering the most popular political leader in the UK. This never felt like a "maximise the indy vote" to me, but had a huge amount of wrath towards the FM. That's the opposite of maximising and was illustrated by the bold Rev and a number of his halfwit arsehole congregation. 

Just heard Cole Hamilton state on the radio, presumably with a straight face, that the SNP and Greens should be prevented from pursuing a major plank of their manifestos because they didn't get over 50% of the vote. 

Something about democracy. 

Well, that's the Tory Government gubbed then. 

Just heard Cole Hamilton state on the radio, presumably with a straight face, that the SNP and Greens should be prevented from pursuing a major plank of their manifestos because they didn't get over 50% of the vote. 
It's utter desperation by the unionists.

From a man from a party sitting on 8.3% of the vote.

You couldn't make it up.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Anyone that thinks Alba was a stupid idea is an imbecile, leaving aside those involved in Alba, having 80 or 90 Pro Indy seats would have made a mockery of our current set up, that's probably the best way of winning over the large chunk of soft NO's in Scotland. 

70 to 59 or similar still looks close enough for most folk to swallow the Unionist bullshit. 

I don't think Alex Salmond who is currently more unpopular in Scotland than Boris Johnson was right guy to front party.

What many of us did say was that in most regions SNP voters should have backed the Greens on List. If even half the SNP voters had done this the Greens would have bee on 20% or more and won around 20 seats on list.

Apparently he was also voted in by his constituents based on his record over the last term.

Couldnae mark the c***s neck wae a blowtorch.