Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

15 minutes ago, wirez said:

Oh so you have seen behind the curtain.

That is also from the Wizard of Oz. You brought up the clicking heels wishes. I thought you might have known it's origins.

I obviously did.

I'm not sure you're up to this discussion tbh.

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Nicola has only asked once formally, about 3 years after the last referendum. She is all talk. 

Pretty sure I said she is all talk in a recent post. Is this what an echo chamber feels like?

Just now, GordonS said:

I obviously did.

I'm not sure you're up to this discussion tbh.

Really?

I'm not the the one pretending he knows the grand plan for another referendum.

Behave yourself ya cheeky monkey.

17 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

All you can do is take it as far as you can. Keep progressing your case. If we go to the Supreme Court and they decide that the people of a country can’t decide to leave a union, then that would be a time to take stock of that decision and see where we go from there. At least we would have a decision. We would know we’re trapped and can never get out unless the Tories let us. Let’s see how that plays out.

Exactly, I totally agree. If we lose in the Supreme Court then we have to use that to show the people of Scotland that we're trapped, that the UK government refuse to allow us to decide our own fate even though we elected a Scottish Government whose main policy is a referendum.

In time that might be enough to shame Johnson into backing down, but it will also be the best way to grow support for independence. And Johnson won't last for ever.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Pretty sure I said she is all talk in a recent post. Is this what an echo chamber feels like?

Yes. What are you wanting her to do, lead an armed insurrection?

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Good spot Gordie, it looks like the SNP picks up at round 6!!!!! Sorry It's late and I'm rushing.

image.png.d5bdf9440893bb8d09e9361522889615.png

Yeah, that's pretty extraordinary if the SNP could pick up a list seat in Glasgow. It might bring the majority back into sight. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Yeah, that's pretty extraordinary if the SNP could pick up a list seat in Glasgow. It might bring the majority back into sight. 

Tidied up the spreadsheet and putting in Central now.

The final results from 2016 have allowed for this now truly entrenched tactical voting along SNP versus unionist lines. Difficult to see how this impasse moves on until more boomers croak it, tbh.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Exactly, I totally agree. If we lose in the Supreme Court then we have to use that to show the people of Scotland that we're trapped, that the UK government refuse to allow us to decide our own fate even though we elected a Scottish Government whose main policy is a referendum.

In time that might be enough to shame Johnson into backing down, but it will also be the best way to grow support for independence. And Johnson won't last for ever.

If Sturgeon wants to be the one to do this effectively (and I’m broadly pro Sturgeon), she has to get back some of the fiery campaigning spirit that left Johann Lamont and Alastair Carmichael blubbering, stuttering, seething wrecks. Whilst in power, we’ve not really seen that side of her; understandably, she’s been far more subdued, calm, and passive. She definitely has it in her to fight, though - we’ve seen that in the past.

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It won’t happen because they’ll end up winning all 9 seats, hence their list votes will be divided by 10 in the end. The percentages are likely to stay fairly similar even as more list votes get added, so only dividing the SNP vote by 6 gives an incredibly false picture.

The Central Scotland numbers looks like on results to date the SNP picks up 2 additional members from the list!!!!!

Both votes SNP might actually be working if the SNP gets above 45% on the list.

image.png.85759714880e28cd1b065c49d36bf19a.png

Edited by Saltire

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The final results from 2016 have allowed for this now truly entrenched tactical voting along SNP versus unionist lines. Difficult to see how this impasse moves on until more boomers croak it, tbh.

They'll be replaced by rUK retirees who'll just vote the same way.

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

The Central Scotland number looks like on results to date the SNP picks up 2 additianl members fronm the list!!!!!

Both votes SNP kight actually be worksing if the SNP gets above 45% on the list.

image.png.85759714880e28cd1b065c49d36bf19a.png

Again - you’re only dividing the SNP vote by 6 here but it’s highly likely they’ll win all 9 seats so you’ll need to divide by 10.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

If Sturgeon wants to be the one to do this effectively (and I’m broadly pro Sturgeon), she has to get back some of the fiery campaigning spirit that left Johann Lamont and Alastair Carmichael blubbering, stuttering, seething wrecks. Whilst in power, we’ve not really seen that side of her; understandably, she’s been far more subdued, calm, and passive. She definitely has it in her to fight, though - we’ve seen that in the past.

Bit much to expect that of someone who's worked at least 12 hours a day almost every day for a year, on a thing that has killed 10,000 of us so far and cost billions. I firmly believe she can get it back and I am certain there's nobody who'll be in a better position to do it - especially after Covid. We just need to keep the heid a little. It's a long game.

I say that as someone who isn't an SNP supporter btw.