Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

6.5% Tory to SNP swing for Angus Robertson to take Edinburgh Central. Interesting that the Green vote is down almost a third on last time, to under 10%. Looks like Green tactical votes helped him over the line.

1 minute ago, Pato said:

We seem to be moving to a 'not the SNP franchise' built around the personalities of various individual politicians who happen to be in one or other party. Quite a weird thing to think about.

It is like if a unionist recognises a name that isn't SNP on the ballot they will stick a cross next to them.

11 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yup.

I think it had potential to be one of those things that snowballed, but the people involved just turn the stomachs of the majority. The only folk I saw seriously mooting voting for them were delusional transphob... sorry 'Gender Criticals' who were buying the 'women's rights' shite, seemingly happy to overlook who exactly the figurehead of the party is and the personal politics of a few other candidates. I told them they were just engaging in a daft wee circle-jerk and shouting at each other in an echo-chamber, but no, supposedly they hold the same views as a 'silent majority' when it comes to trans issues :1eye

Difficult to do much of anything with no popular support, a leader who is less well thought of than Boris Johnson, and when the only people you can coalesce around you are those with an irrational hatred they like to dress up as something it simply is not.

It's not transphobic to have a Citizens' Assembly to discuss GRA, which is ALBA's policy.  All people concerned, could then hopefully reach a rational compromise, after having their views on the issues pertaining to it heard.  Is that unreasonable?

Some women obviously disagree with the position that debate or discussion needn't take place on this.  

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

Wonder what cabinet job Angus will get?

I wondered if he'd get Freeman's job. Even if he's not overly qualified, his delivery of the messages would certainly be more convincing.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Unpalatable or uncompetitive. The Tories never had a chance in NE Fife or Edinburgh Western anyway.

Though I was always surprised the Tories didn't ride to Jo Swinson's rescue in 2019. 

Having grown up in Strathkelvin and Bearsden/Dunbartonshire East, I'd be fairly confident in suggesting a large swathe of Tories already voted for Swinson.

30 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
31 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
SNP hold Greenock & Inverclyde. Small reduction in majority. Swing to Labour of 1.7%.

Doesn't bode well for Dumbarton

Just wondering how you even remotely equate the result in an entirely different constituency to Dumbarton? That said I think Baillie will win anyway, just a bizarre conflation? 

33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
34 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
SNP hold Greenock & Inverclyde. Small reduction in majority. Swing to Labour of 1.7%.

Doesn't bode well for Dumbarton

I wouldn't think that the two are correlated that much. The incumbent SNP MSP isn't pulling up any trees and every single opposition party - as in every fucking campaign for the past decade - have been peddling shite about the local hospital being turned into the tent round the back of Aintree during the Grand National. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, Burning Barns said:

It's not transphobic to have a Citizens' Assembly to discuss GRA, which is ALBA's policy.  All people concerned, could then hopefully reach a rational compromise, after having their views on the issues pertaining to it heard.  Is that unreasonable?

Some women obviously disagree with the position that debate or discussion needn't take place on this.  

I was talking about a specific group of individuals who are absolutely notorious transphobes, determined to conflate the actions of abusive and predatory men with perfectly mundane behaviour on the part of transpeople.

There's nothing wrong with having a debate, but likewise, there's also nothing wrong with calling out some of the utter bullshit  that some of the GC side tries to hide behind.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 minute ago, Burning Barns said:

Women support self ID more than men. I don't understand why this isn't obvious, but in case it's not obvious, there's data.

There's no need for a citizen's assembly, there's been plenty of consultation and the results were overwhelming. Anyone looking to cause delay is, frankly, at it.

EoKi9YqW4AA_zGz.jpeg

EoKi9YpWEAMiW_-.jpeg

Jackie Baliey saying the labour party increased their share of the votes just as the ticker on the bottom has their constituency vote share in the negative is probably the most Jackie Baliey thing ever.