Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Higher ever turnout in a Scottish election has been 58%, and that in the first one in 1999. Reckon it will be around the 50% mark overall this time.

I think you'll be a bit short on your estimate. 23.8% of the electorate registerd for postal votes and a high number of those have been cast. Anecdotally, we're reading here about polls being busy today so I'll say around 60% turn out.

12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Still 70/80 people waiting at Prestwick CC, wtf. 

You still get to vote if you’re in a queue at 10pm.

2 minutes ago, Pato said:

Airdrie gets a bad rep for well... *waves hands vaguely at North Lanarkshire* but it does do a pretty good job of returning SNP politicians with absolutely thumping majorities. Worth reflecting that the noisiest folk are not necessarily the most representative.

It is an easy jibe for some folks and it has been that way for a while, and  I treat such remarks with a wry smile. 

How's turnout been?

Only anecdotal but it was busy at my polling station in Dundee at The Crescent. When I went past again later there were queues both times I passed.

The ballot boxes we were allocated were full of papers - they were using rulers to force the papers in - could see from the register that lots in our area have voted already.

Hope that's a good sign.
Voted at 20:30, to be informed I was the 100th voter, got a free pencil as a prize.

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I think you'll be a bit short on your estimate. 23.8% of the electorate registerd for postal votes and a high number of those have been cast. Anecdotally, we're reading here about polls being busy today so I'll say around 60% turn out.

I reckon a lot of the 'busier than usual' will be due to having to queue due to the pandemic. Can't see it breaking the all time record when there's still a global pandemic ongoing.

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I think Pretswick is a bit light on polling places and statiosn compared to Ayr and Troon

Polling Districts and Polling Places - Proposals (south-ayrshire.gov.uk)

I think that's just their usual places, although Glenburn was perhaps used in the past. 

Edited by ayrmad

Guest Jedi
15 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Not sure....can remember the early excitement in the 2019 GE when there were lenghly queues of younger voters down south, which, it was assumed, had to be voting for Corbyn...turns out that most clearly weren't.....Take the point about postal votes inflating the turnout, but could still be somewhere between 50-55% overall.

7 minutes ago, jakedee said:
2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
How's turnout been?

Only anecdotal but it was busy at my polling station in Dundee at The Crescent. When I went past again later there were queues both times I passed.

The ballot boxes we were allocated were full of papers - they were using rulers to force the papers in - could see from the register that lots in our area have voted already.

Hope that's a good sign.

Voted at 20:30, to be informed I was the 100th voter, got a free pencil as a prize.

Second prize is a set of steak knives.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

How's turnout been?

Hope that's a good sign.

Same thing happened with me at Lochee United's ground, had to force the papers in with a ruler.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You still get to vote if you’re in a queue at 10pm.

I know, was just surprised that the queue hadn't reduced all night,still saw quite a few making their way there as well.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

James Matthews is such a c**t. Already setting the narrative about an SNP majority, not a pro independence majority. Never mentioned it once. So deliberate

LK doing just exactly the same