Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Over the last few weeks the information has been out there to educate SNP voters of the need to use their 2nd vote wisely. Hopefully it cuts through tomorrow. 
I'm not fussed whether folk transfer to Greens or Alba, each to their own, but there is the potential for a seismic shift in holyrood if enough SNP votes do shift across on the list. There is enough votes there to have SNP, Greens and Alba occupy the top 3 or 4 parties in Holyrood and deliver an overall SNP majority. If that were to happen there would be a huge change in the likelihood of another referendum.
Mods!

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Radio Scotland phone in this morning doing a remarkable job of finding pro independence callers who are now not voting SNP...

aye heard that. Kaye, who I must say has surprised me of late with her relatively hard hitting political interviews across the spectrum (and no sarcasm in that for once), struggled to sound convincing when saying "thats quite the journey" for the umpteenth time.....

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Yeah, that's it. Just a mild irritant. Or something. No substance here, no reason why he's "bad" in the eyes of the electorate nowadays. 

I think from NS it's just that she'd rather not have her former boss there "cramping her style", as it were.  However, all MSPs who support independence have a duty to put country before party and personality clashes.  The more MSPs who support independence, the better.

Edited by Burning Barns

8 hours ago, Antlion said:

Scottish rugby players for decades: “We’re pure mad SCOTS! RRRAAARRRR! SCOTLAND THE BRAVE!”

SNP: “Maybe put your money where your mouth is and vote to be an actual, independent country then?”

Scottish rugby players (beelin’): “... f**k you.” 

I'll put on my McGlashan tammy and say that the imported English imperialist public school originated posh boys sexual simulation egg chasing shall be for ever banned in the People's Republic of Scotland and replaced by ra Shinty

Right, that's it, off to bed. 

There may not be many forum members this will apply to, but this is for anyone not planning to vote. Please just make the effort and do it.

For democracy to work, folk need to take part.  Don't leave it to others, in Scotland or elsewhere, to determine your future.  It's as much your responsibility as it is anyone else's. Don't dodge it. 

I (almost😁) don't care who you vote for, just make your voice heard. 

That's it. See ya. 

9 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Jackie Baillie? Spokesperson for Health etc...

Sadly from all the betting markets over last few days Jackie Ballie is clear favourite to win Dumbarton now,

Indeed it looks as though all the key seats Aberdeen West, Ayr, East Lothian, Eastwood, Dumfriesshire & Dumbarton are now too close too call and have apparently been moving in wrong direction. If the SNP don't gain at least 2 of them i cannot see them getting majority.

Personally an SNP majority would be superb but right now i would take 63/64 SNP and 9 Green MSP's with a couple of Alba's thrown in. The main thing is we must have Pro Indy majority of some kind.

16 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

Sadly from all the betting markets over last few days Jackie Ballie is clear favourite to win Dumbarton now,

Indeed it looks as though all the key seats Aberdeen West, Ayr, East Lothian, Eastwood, Dumfriesshire & Dumbarton are now too close too call and have apparently been moving in wrong direction. If the SNP don't gain at least 2 of them i cannot see them getting majority.

Personally an SNP majority would be superb but right now i would take 63/64 SNP and 9 Green MSP's with a couple of Alba's thrown in. The main thing is we must have Pro Indy majority of some kind.

My old dear is staunchly anti-Indy, and she's voting for Labour (Baillie) tactically. With any luck the SNP hold out. A friend of mine just became a councillor for the Tories in Helensburgh. Absolutely no mention of her party in all her social media posts. Only found out she was one of them after the fact. I went to the woman's wedding; I need a bleach shower.

I'm an Alba member, for a number of reasons. Primarily for me, we need a pro-Indy voice in parliament, that will hold the SNP to account without the stigma of being pro-union. The other issue, is the clear disadvantage of using both votes for the SNP. The longer we wait, the less our advantage. The previous indy campaign started in 2012 at 30% support and finished at 45% in 2014. Just think what can be accomplished starting now at 50%!

Edited by Illgresi

10 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Over the last few weeks the information has been out there to educate SNP voters of the need to use their 2nd vote wisely. Hopefully it cuts through tomorrow. 

I'm not fussed whether folk transfer to Greens or Alba, each to their own, but there is the potential for a seismic shift in holyrood if enough SNP votes do shift across on the list. There is enough votes there to have SNP, Greens and Alba occupy the top 3 or 4 parties in Holyrood and deliver an overall SNP majority. If that were to happen there would be a huge change in the likelihood of another referendum.

For all of this talk of SNP votes "shifting across on the list", it has to be acknowledged that there is also a lot of shift the other way. I'm a Green Party supporter, but I often vote SNP in the constituency list and or for Westminster because there isn't a Green candidate standing.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

There may not be many forum members this will apply to, but this is for anyone not planning to vote. Please just make the effort and do it.

For democracy to work, folk need to take part.  Don't leave it to others, in Scotland or elsewhere, to determine your future.  It's as much your responsibility as it is anyone else's. Don't dodge it. 

That's it. See ya. 

I seen a refugee from Syria on reporting Scotland a wee while back on getting to vote, I think it was his first ever vote.  His enthusiasm on being given a vote was a sight for sore eyes and reminded me how lucky we are in countries where you get a real vote. Something to use for sure whoever you wish to vote for!

Edited by BigDoddyKane

That’s my votes cast. Constituency for Kevin Stewart of independence OG’s and only show in town the SNP, and List for the top shagger Greens. Got a free pencil out of it too, which is nice.

Now to drive up to the highlands and see my folks and mates for the first time in 8 months. What a great day.

7 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

That's it. See ya. 

........when a child is born.

I am still somewhat undecided on being either both votes SNP or SNP and green on the list, I guess I’ll make up my mind in the booth. I am not a massive follower of politics and I’ll admit to not fully understanding how the system works.

I do like the Greens though, so have no objection to voting for them at least it’s not like I have to vote Tory or Labour. 

Both votes for the Douglas Ross/Baroness Davidson ticket. The most likely party to deliver on all their manifesto promises, which shows it was good strategy not to have any.

Not really, SNP constituency, and I was on the fence between them and the Greens until arriving at the polling station and seeing Patrick Harvie was the only candidate who could be arsed to be standing in the rain at 8am, so he got the list vote.

Spoiler

I appreciate other candidates may have been at other polling stations, but it was the only sign of commitment I actually witnessed