Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

25 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Where are you getting the idea that austerity ended when Theresa May entered office?

I can't recall that being a focus. You probably can make your argument that I've supported any austerity during the May period by voting for them at that period but you would surely admit it wasn't as clear cut as the Cameron years?

Would you agree it's valid criticism for me to point out other posters that have decided they can pick and choose what policy they support don't feel that I can fairly do so? 

26 minutes ago, renton said:

To your first point, yes you can however supporting any part of Tory exclusive policy would mark you out as a c**t.

As to the second point, no. I'd vote for the party I believed in. It's the only to affect change in the long term.

On the assumption that you vote Tory because you are pissing yourself terrified because ONLY THE TORIES CAN STOP THE SNP HERE then you are being taken for a ride. The Tories have weaponised the constitutional question to keep them competitive. 

There is still a debate over whether there can be another referendum while the UK Government is implacably hostile to the idea. And even if there is another, you still have the opportunity to vote in accordance with your passionate beliefs in that referendum. So why not take the time, look at the party manifestos and choose the party that in a wider sense reflects your views. It won't change much this election, but next one?

And if you still end up at the end of that choosing, regressive, selfish, privileged, bigoted entrenchment, then, well, f**k you.

Fair enough, you can view me how you see fit. I'll be voting Tory/Labour and would vote Labour/Labour if they had a chance of winning here but I'd rather have a Unionist if I have a chance at making that difference. 

My main issue is the idea that people berated me for saying I picked and chose what policy I liked without necessarily endorsing all the policy and some people said that was impossible but are now saying they are doing the same with other parties.

25 minutes ago, Pato said:

It is a valid criticism, sure.

Not sure you can so neatly split the conservatives before and after May into unacceptable and acceptable. You presumably looked at the conservatives track record and decided they were the ones for you? Or was there something specific to Theresa May's vision that appealed to you which wasn't the case for Cameron? If so, what was that?

Austerity level government is one end of a range of possibilities post independence and I think it's perfectly valid to attack that on the same basis that I attack the conservatives today.

Thanks for acknowledging the validity, that's all I was really after to begin with. 

You're probably right regarding the boundaries and the differences between the two leaders, that's for you to decide on, I backed May because the debate at the time was over actually delivering Brexit and also the Indy question was a huge factor in the Scottish elections due to the SNP utilising their vote as being anti Brexit. Labour and Lib Dems had also previously been viable local options but had been obliterated in Scotland and my constituency at that point. 

Right, definitive answer sought here please as to the sensible destination of my second vote.

I'm south of Scotland for the list.

My first vote will be going to the SNP.  I regard separatism as necessary now in achieving a lasting rejection of the Tories, especially in their most hideous recent guise.  

That being the case, where should my second vote go?  I'm thinking SNP twice, but wonder if there's logic in a Green vote, given the system.  

Forgive my ignorance in not already being clear on this.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Right, definitive answer sought here please as to the sensible destination of my second vote.

I'm south of Scotland for the list.

My first vote will be going to the SNP.  I regard separatism as necessary now in achieving a lasting rejection of the Tories, especially in their most hideous recent guise.  

That being the case, where should my second vote go?  I'm thinking SNP twice, but wonder if there's logic in a Green vote, given the system.  

Forgive my ignorance in not already being clear on this.  Thank you.

SNP both votes in the South of Scotland.

Where I live I the West of Scotland there's little point voting SNP on the list as they will clear up on the constituencies.

29 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I can't recall that being a focus. You probably can make your argument that I've supported any austerity during the May period by voting for them at that period but you would surely admit it wasn't as clear cut as the Cameron years?

Would you agree it's valid criticism for me to point out other posters that have decided they can pick and choose what policy they support don't feel that I can fairly do so? 

It wasn't till October 2018, more than 2 years after May became leader, that Hammond announced they were no longer pursuing a budget surplus in 2022/23 (despite his desires by all accounts so I guess credit to May for that maybe?). This was called an end to austerity but given that there would be no real terms increases in funding, other than to the NHS, it amounted to a stabilisation of austerity as opposed to an end to it. 

I mean yeah, it's a fair criticism if you don't believe that there's any material difference about the downsides of voting Tory and the downsides of voting Green/SNP, but we've had that argument before and I don't think we'll agree.

Like if someone said to you they were voting for the BNP because they don't agree with everything they say but their approach to arts funding was perfect for them, that would seem silly beside someone saying they were voting lib dem because they're a bit crap but the local candidate seemed like a good egg. Not making a Tories/other comparison here but you can see there's a question of scale right? 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It wasn't till October 2018, more than 2 years after May became leader, that Hammond announced they were no longer pursuing a budget surplus in 2022/23 (despite his desires by all accounts so I guess credit to May for that maybe?). This was called an end to austerity but given that there would be no real terms increases in funding, other than to the NHS, it amounted to a stabilisation of austerity as opposed to an end to it. 

I mean yeah, it's a fair criticism if you don't believe that there's any material difference about the downsides of voting Tory and the downsides of voting Green, but we've had that argument before and I don't think we'll agree.

Like if someone said to you they were voting for the BNP because they don't agree with everything they say but their approach to arts funding was perfect for them, that would seem silly beside someone saying they were voting lib dem because they're a bit crap but the local candidate seemed like a good egg. Not making a Tories/other comparison here but you can see there's a question of scale right? 

Of course. Everyone can make their own minds up about the scale and the morality behind certain decisions. I don't really mind if people do that. 

Specifically some posters have heavily criticised the human impact of lockdown and vociferously disagreed with the slower easing of lockdown up in Scotland, to then support a party which is generally more keen on the slower easing than others whilst saying you are picking and choosing seemed to me to be a good example that it was generally possible to adopt such a position. 

Edited by Stormzy

You are utterly deluded if you think that either the Greens or the Alba Party are going to move the needle on independence support either way by beating each other to some list seats. 

The Salmond bogeyman thesis on this place is getting shriller and more hysterical as more polls suggest that Alba has a decent chance of picking up a few seats. 

I'm not sure what the chances are of Alex salmond getting elected as a MSP are but love him or hate him seeing him in parliament going head to head with nicola Sturgeon would certainly be interesting viewing.

Especially interesting would be the timing over independence,salmond knows fine well there are many within the SNP who are disappointed with the lack of progress towards independence and I would fully expect him to try and exploit that and to generally cause as much mischief as possible.

13 hours ago, HTG said:

From what I've seen, a lot of them are seasoned campaigners at slaughtering Nicola Sturgeon. Plus they're the party of choice for Wings. There are far too many total arseholes in that ALBA gang to go anywhere near it. They can get in the bin. Aye, there will be decent people in there but I'll be voting SNP or Green on the list.

Being able to criticise the FM, when deserved, is entirely healthy.  Unless you prefer the kind of party where people are encouraged to bring balloons to conference, instead of ideas.  

Anecdotal only, but I've voted SNP (Constituency) and Green (List) on the past two Holyrood elections which family & friends have always considered a bit geeky  but I think a few more will be splitting their votes this way on Thursday.

Edited by btb

14 minutes ago, btb said:

Anecdotal only, but I've voted SNP (Constituency) and Green (List) on the past two Holyrood elections which family & friends have always considered a bit geeky  but I think a few more will be splitting their votes this way on Thursday.

Absolutely agree.  I think one of the big stories in this election will be the surge of the Greens on the list vote....fully expect them to out-perform all polls and predictions.

Just hoping the shite weather forecast puts off a considerable number of geriatric Tories

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
34 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
He's got til Thursday's Exit Poll to come back or his charity bet money is going to Mermaids.

Will there be a exit poll?

Pretty sure there isn't one for this.