Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its always the same posters running to the rescue of even the faintest criticism of the parties they can see no fault in. 

Ach, they just prefer to wait until the water's at nose level. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its always the same posters running to the rescue of even the faintest criticism of the parties they can see no fault in. 

I mean yes but GD and Invergowrie are right, calling politicians from any party careerists or a cabal is a bit daft, as it applies to all of them. You can be uninspired by or criticize politicians while admitting that's the case

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You've said you'll likely vote for a party who accused LGBTI groups of promoting paedophilia the other day so you have no business criticizing the principles of others thanks 

I said no such thing regarding who I'd vote for, so you can take your bullshit elsewhere, you can bet your bottom dollar on it that I will put up both votes even if one is for Alba. 

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I mean yes but GD and Invergowrie are right, calling politicians from any party careerists or a cabal is a bit daft, as it applies to all of them. You can be uninspired by or criticize politicians while admitting that's the case

Ive been criticising the standard of politician across the board, thats reasonable, there are very few examples of excellent politicians, even the ones who have positive public images still have legacies of failure, its easiest to attribute this to the current party of government given their failure in a number of areas but it’s not singularly their failing. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I said no such thing regarding who I'd vote for, so you can take your bullshit elsewhere, you can bet your bottom dollar on it that I will put up both votes even if one is for Alba. 

So you are likely to vote for Alba, so no bullshit whatsoever then, thanks for clarifying

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

So you are likely to vote for Alba, so no bullshit whatsoever then, thanks for clarifying

No but I'm already embarrassed at having to vote for the SNP, thankfully it'll be the last time under this shower. 

40 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive been criticising the standard of politician across the board, thats reasonable, there are very few examples of excellent politicians, even the ones who have positive public images still have legacies of failure, its easiest to attribute this to the current party of government given their failure in a number of areas but it’s not singularly their failing. 

If you’re so disillusioned why not become active yourself?  I’m sure you would be a model of industry and integrity.

59 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Pfft. You’ve no even got the Communist Party standing.

9408FDAA-396A-4ECB-8E15-8B5EA6F9D4C1.thumb.jpeg.a79d335c0c3d57ce1c9250c75ac73564.jpeg80A40FC0-6726-4DDC-837E-45EF0FF40660.thumb.jpeg.f57b81bce75d62d8f3471f055d430666.jpeg

Always liked the comment made about the Communist MP Wullie Gallacher who represented a Fife constituency.

”There’s only two men who ever went to Parliament with the right intention. One was Wullie Gallacher and the other was Guy Fawkes.”

30 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

I'm not sure that's what's meant by "organising a coup" but crack on anyway.

The coo has a number 7 on its back and is wearing a uniform.

It’s a right-wing military coo.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Pfft. You’ve no even got the Communist Party standing.

80A40FC0-6726-4DDC-837E-45EF0FF40660.thumb.jpeg.f57b81bce75d62d8f3471f055d430666.jpeg

When and why did it stop being the Communist Party of Great Britian would be up there on the list of questions I don't need an answer to. Bloated candidate lists are probably a sign that they need to raise the deposit a bit.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

If Labour can't overtake the Tories led by Ross, they are in a worse state than is widely thought. 

I don't think it would be a huge surprise to be honest if Labour didn't beat the Tories again though. The Tories have a solid base and and seek the anti SNP protest vote more than anyone really. 

I think Labour's best chance beating them into 2nd  is a fall in Tory seats due to Brexit, Boris and the hopeless leaders, rather than gaining more Labour seats. It's hard to see where Labour get a lot of voters from, especially if the Greens make gains on the list. Sarwar does, on recent form, seem a credible party leader, more so than Gray et al however.

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I'm much the same as many it seems; voting SNP without all that much enthusiasm.

The local representative is a good guy, keeps his head down and works hard for his constituents. So, fair enough. However the SNP have for a while strayed into Old Labour territory of taking voters for granted IMO, and increasingly look a tired and jaded party in urgent need of regeneration and reform.

I have to agree, the SNP do seem a bit tired at times and I think they know they will win easily in most areas and are perhaps a little blase about it. 

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I don't think it would be a huge surprise to be honest if Labour didn't beat the Tories again though. The Tories have a solid base and and seek the anti SNP protest vote more than anyone really. 

I think Labour's best chance beating them into 2nd  is a fall in Tory seats due to Brexit, Boris and the hopeless leaders, rather than gaining more Labour seats. It's hard to see where Labour get a lot of voters from, especially if the Greens make gains on the list. Sarwar does, on recent form, seem a credible party leader, more so than Gray et al however.

I have to agree, the SNP do seem a bit tired at times and I think they know they will win easily in most areas and are perhaps a little blase about it. 

You might be right about the Labour/Conservative situation but I think that some former Tories might be put off by the new Leader.  I wasn't awfully keen on Ruth Davidson, but she was a stellar performer compared to that utter balloon Ross.  I think her former seat in Edinburgh Central will go to the SNP.  Interesting times. 

Saying all politicians are the same gives a get out to the worst ones.

The line that the Scottish Government is failing is nonsense - I'm not saying they are perfect - you'll know from my posts on education that I'm not particularly happy with the direction things are taking - but there has been progress in other areas.

It's dead easy to criticise but rarely do we hear actual solutions that can happen within the current financial framework.

There is also the reality that the population are generally conservative with a small c - it's clear that the SNP are trying not to rock the boat to keep those people who will decide any IndyRef2 on board.

That might not be what some people want to hear, that's their choice - they can always choose a more radical option if they want - personally I'd rather steady progress instead of fantasy wish lists that we had in the last White Paper.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

When and why did it stop being the Communist Party of Great Britain would be up there on the list of questions I don't need an answer to. Bloated candidate lists are probably a sign that they need to raise the deposit a bit.

The CPB is the true bearer of the old Marxist-Leninist left, actually pre-dating the collapse of the old CPGB. It was a splinter group from the Marxist-Leninist versus eurocommunist rupture in the CPGB in the late 1980s; otherwise characterised as The Morning Star editorial team versus the Marxism Today editorial team. The story is long and Byzantine, but the CPB is the vehicle for the true believers of the old party. The old CPGB (under a eurocommunist leadership) became Democratic Left in 1991, and eventually merged with the Charter 88 think tank, ceasing to exist at that point.

The picture is muddied by the existence of the tiny CPGB-PCC (Communist Party of Great Britain- Provisional Central Committee) who are behind the Weekly Worker, a far left gossip sheet read by about forty people who all hate one another. Galloway's astroturfed "Workers' Party of Great Britain" is actually a merger between Galloway's ego and the Communist Party of Britain (Marxist-Leninist), which in effect is three dozen people who are the UK North Korea fan club. A very odd, diehard Stalinist sect who turn up to demos in London with large portraits of Stalin and Kim Il-Sung.

The CPB are really shit on the national question and fundamentally opposed to Scottish independence on the basis of, well, dogma.

There was a tiny Communist Party of Scotland, in favour of independence, led by Eric Canning, who I think was some sort of figurehead for the cross-party Yes movement about ten years ago, and would occasionally make bumbling speeches dressed in an Astrakhan hat, as though a stretched ZIL was waiting for him around the corner. Canning was perfectly amiable but the party was a veterans club and little more than an interesting discussion group. The party has been wound up following Canning's death a couple of years back.

Astonishing that a political tradition which was really strong in parts of Scotland and producing significant political figures in terms of parliamentarians and trade unionists for most of the last century- as late as the mid 1980s (Mick McGahey) is now little more than a folk memory and junk-shop mulch for memes on social media.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I'm not defending the SNP I'm attacking the idea that public life is some noble solemn calling that someone shouldn't do as a profession as opposed to a nurse or policeman.

It's a Tory concept