Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Also got my postal ballot through today. I’m another fairly unenthusiastic SNP vote, although the candidate here seems decent enough. The main thing is that not voting SNP here would help Alex Cole-Hamilton get back in, and that’s something I couldn’t do.

Greens on the list obvs, because I’m not a complete wrongun.

My ballot paper arrived today for my postal vote, I studied politics at uni and have been quite engaged in every election and referendum etc since I could vote. I genuinely feel underwhelmed by it all and the decision on who to vote for is particularly difficult, all parties let you down, candidates pretend they care but lets face it, its all about the career etc. 
The way the world is you’ve got arseholes in London who are robbing the country blind like some kind of reverse robin hood and up here there’s almost a battle for the soul of the indy movement fought by a bunch of transphobes and right wing arseholes against a careerist cartel of shite politicians and a party with a failing record in government. Away from that its a labour party led by a millionaire who doesnt pay his own staff a fair wage and lets not even get started on Douglas Ross, a bully since high school with a hard on for ‘tough action’ against gypsy traveller peoples. I mean if you can get enthused about all of that then fair enough. 
SNP/Green is your answer here [emoji106]

Hi. PV arrived today.  Voted constituency SNP, but was a bit torn on Regional list.  The SNP didn't win in 3 of the individual Lothian constituencies, and might well win at least one of them back - maybe Edinburgh Central where Ruthy Tank Commander won last time.  The SNP received over 118,000 list votes last time and received no list MSPs at all, so even if they don't win back one of the missing 3 constituencies this time I can't see a SNP Regional list vote helping to keep unionists to a minimum.  I've given my list vote to the greens. 

Some folk don't like the tactical voting stuff, which is made even more complicated by the combined FPTP/PR system, but when the electoral system installed by Westminster in the Act was designed to keep the SNP from obtaining a majority, a nationalist has to do what a nationalist has to do. 

30 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

SNP/Green is your answer here emoji106.png

If SNP is the answer the question is fucked, that said it appears the least worse option, which again doesnt inspire confidence in politics. Anyone enthusiastically voting for this cabal of cowards and careerists needs to have a word with themselves. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

4 hours ago, sophia said:

I heard on the wireless that Cameron was potentially weighed in for multi millions of £s.

Something like £40m!

This knocks whether or not Sturgeon knew Salmond was a bit gropey into a cocked hat.

At FMQ's Boris commented, off the cuff, that cabinet ministers were respectfully withdrawing from political comments or interviews until after some gadgie's funeral on Saturday.

13 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

At FMQ's Boris commented, off the cuff, that cabinet ministers were respectfully withdrawing from political comments or interviews until after some gadgie's funeral on Saturday.

Looks like they're keen to throw a lot of controversial stuff into the ground along with auld fella - never to be exhumed. Who'd have thunk it.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Sarwar on Radio Scotland's phone in with Kaye Adams right now and he is making a lot of good points and playing the 'good guy' in Scottish Politics.

With two strong debate showings, and if he keeps this front up, I can easily see Labour taking second place in the next Parliament.

I agree up to the point when he had no answer to the question about him sending his kids to a private school.  Floundered a bit there and I don't think it would have gone down too well with the 'brethren and sistren'.  If Labour can't overtake the Tories led by Ross, they are in a worse state than is widely thought. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If SNP is the answer the question is fucked, that said it appears the least worse option, which again doesnt inspire confidence in politics. Anyone enthusiastically voting for this cabal of cowards and careerists needs to have a word with themselves. 

If anyone needs to have a word with themselves it’s you.  

Don’t be surprised if it’s unintelligible.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Since we are storming holyrood I'll dress up a highland coo, buffalo's have no place in scottish takeovers

Congratulations you are now under investigation by MI5 and will be hauled off shortly. ;)

Get that vote posted back.

As an aside I see that the 2 independent list candidates in Mid Scotland and Fife are pro indy one is a hard line Christian and the other isn't a fan of the GRA as far as I can tell. But I had to do a big or digging around twitter, how do these people actually garner votes.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If anyone needs to have a word with themselves it’s you.  

Don’t be surprised if it’s unintelligible.

Oh thats a real zinger from you GD. Devastated. 
But if youre inspired by the current crop of politicians on offer in Scotland just you batter in, tell us all about it, I look forward to ignoring every word. 

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Oh thats a real zinger from you GD. Devastated. 
But if youre inspired by the current crop of politicians on offer in Scotland just you batter in, tell us all about it, I look forward to ignoring every word. 

There’s a huge gulf between ‘being inspired’ and referring to them as ‘a cabal of cowards and careerists’.