Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

23 minutes ago, Pato said:

idgi am I supposed to know what that other person is?

You're supposed to think it looks like Ruth Davidson, it's actually Green Councillor Kim Long.

Just another day on Scottish political Twitter.

Edited by GordonS

UK Government takes Holyrood to Supreme Court in ‘morally repugnant’ move

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/3047998/holyrood-childrens-rights/

The UK Government has confirmed it is taking Holyrood to the Supreme Court over a Bill that aimed to enshrine UN children's rights in Scotland.

Westminster raised similar concerns about the European Charter of Local Self-Government (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill, which was put forward by independent MSP Andy Wightman and also passed unanimously.

Well, the war on Holyrood has started, I see.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/3047998/holyrood-childrens-rights/
The UK Government has confirmed it is taking Holyrood to the Supreme Court over a Bill that aimed to enshrine UN children's rights in Scotland.
Westminster raised similar concerns about the European Charter of Local Self-Government (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill, which was put forward by independent MSP Andy Wightman and also passed unanimously.
This bill was voted on quite a while ago and had cross-party support (including the Tories)... what exactly do they think will happen here? Why wait until an election campaign where DRoss is already treading water?

56 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

This bill was voted on quite a while ago and had cross-party support (including the Tories)... what exactly do they think will happen here? Why wait until an election campaign where DRoss is already treading water?

Maybe they'll drop it and Ross will claim to have brokered it!?

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

The Tories voted against Devolution and have argued against ever since it's formation, the idea that the masses are getting above their station by creating parliaments outside westminster and the establishment is anathema to the tories. 

This action comes as no surprise especially when Nicola's popularity exceeds that of Bojo the Clown, this type of legal action is just the beginning as teh aim of the tories eventually is to dissolve the Scottish Parliament.

I see the tories policy is moving away from an aggressive Independence/SNP bad to more of a people appeal with;

'Do we really need another referendum in the middle of a global pandemic, job losses and the approaching economy crisis'

I see that line popping up more and more in the last few days in the tory rags and I bet you Ross will run that line tonight, they have finally realised that the aggressive attacking formats of resign resign, hiding evidence and SNP Evil has not worked and now they are trying the soft shoe shuffle appeal. 

16 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Chip, chip, chip at the devolved administrations. If our elected government cannot enshrine children's rights into law in a unanimous vote without the assent of the government we didn't vote for then the union ceases to function and it is not fit for purpose for people in Scotland.

I suspect when this goes to the supreme court the UK govt will win and both bills will have to be amended. And this is just me moaning about the lack of power of Scot Govt before even getting started on the contents of the bills that these Tory c***s want to frustrate. Fucking arseholes.

Chip, chip, chip at the devolved administrations. If our elected government cannot enshrine children's rights into law in a unanimous vote without the assent of the government we didn't vote for then the union ceases to function and it is not fit for purpose for people in Scotland.
I suspect when this goes to the supreme court the UK govt will win and both bills will have to be amended. And this is just me moaning about the lack of power of Scot Govt before even getting started on the contents of the bills that these Tory c***s want to frustrate. Fucking arseholes.
Ammunition against the next Vow...

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

This attempt to devalue the Scottish Government has I suspect come from the inner sanctum of the rank rule brittania tory establishment which the likes of Rees Mogg epitomises.

It is a ridiculous situation where Public Schoolboys educated in Greek Classics and Latin verbs think they are absolutely entitled and competent enough to rule a country, it is archaic that buffoons such as we have now in the tory government could possibly identify with the broad population.

Isn't it ludicrous that the likes of Bojo is questioning in law a Bill on Childrens Rights when he has produced six children with three partners and on two occasions has walked out on his children to live with another woman? 

39 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

This attempt to devalue the Scottish Government has I suspect come from the inner sanctum of the rank rule brittania tory establishment which the likes of Rees Mogg epitomises.

It is a ridiculous situation where Public Schoolboys educated in Greek Classics and Latin verbs think they are absolutely entitled and competent enough to rule a country, it is archaic that buffoons such as we have now in the tory government could possibly identify with the broad population.

Isn't it ludicrous that the likes of Bojo is questioning in law a Bill on Childrens Rights when he has produced six children with three partners and on two occasions has walked out on his children to live with another woman? 

Sandy - calm down. I think you’ll find that the problem here is with regard to legal technicalities.

I understand there is no problem with the principle behind the legislation but rather with the legalese which is quite important.

In any case, it’ll be fixed by the Supreme Court.

I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill and, my suspicion is that this is just another grievance engineered by the SNP.

And unfortunately servile Scotland has gone along with this. Embarrassing

Sandy - calm down. I think you’ll find that the problem here is with regard to legal technicalities.
I understand there is no problem with the principle behind the legislation but rather with the legalese which is quite important.
In any case, it’ll be fixed by the Supreme Court.
I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill and, my suspicion is that this is just another grievance engineered by the SNP.

Is it not the case that the bill was passed unanimously, and ruled to be within the competence of the parliament by the presiding officer (under advice of the parliament lawyers? To come to the conclusion that this is SNP grievance mongering surely ignores a lot of the facts and the processes that the bill has gone through.

15 minutes ago, Dink said:

Is it not the case that the bill was passed unanimously, and ruled to be within the competence of the parliament by the presiding officer (under advice of the parliament lawyers? To come to the conclusion that this is SNP grievance mongering surely ignores a lot of the facts and the processes that the bill has gone through.

He's calling it an SNP grievance??? FFS.

Two Acts that the Scottish Conservatives unanimously voted for, now being challenged by the UK Conservatives, and it's the SNP's fault? 😂

Bit embarrassing for the likes of Murdo 'I, too, am a lawyer' Fraser and all the other tories to have voted in favour if it is truly not in the competence of the Scottish Government.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He's calling it an SNP grievance??? FFS.

Two Acts that the Scottish Conservatives unanimously voted for, now being challenged by the UK Conservatives, and it's the SNP's fault? 😂

Let’s just wait and see the outcome. I’m sure the end result will achieve what was intended.