Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

23 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is there a site giving an indication of the best tactical vote for each area?

Edit: I know it's generally SNP/Green but was wondering where that isn't the case.

In general I would just check here first and some polls nearer the time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Scottish_Parliament_election

In areas where SNP will easily win the constiituency vote there's no value in giving them a list vote as well, so better to go green.

Either SNP/Green or SNP/SNP - I'll use my list vote tactically with independence in mind.

I'm pretty sure that means SNP/Green where I live, and means a consituency vote for Sturgeon and a list vote for Harvie, which sounds good to me.

Edited by Adamski

Tories could quite possibly hold on to the 3 borders constituencies.
Which is a shame as it'd be great to see Mundell Jr & Rachael Hamilton lose on FPTP.

So if I lived in South Region it would def be SNP/SNP - the SNP got 3 MSP's elected on the South list last time & are not a stick on to take any of the Tory constituencies down there.

1 hour ago, Adamski said:

Either SNP/Green or SNP/SNP - I'll use my list vote tactically with independence in mind.

I'm pretty sure that means SNP/Green where I live, and means a consituency vote for Sturgeon and a list vote for Harvie, which sounds good to me.

Glasgow is another area where SNP/SNP is a total waste. SNP/Green makes more sense. 

I know it's a bit of a generalisation, but if we're going by 2016's numbers, and if you are pro-indy, it would only really make sense to vote SNP/SNP if you live in the Highlands & Islands or South Scotland list areas.

If everyone that is pro-indy voted SNP/Green in the areas where it makes most sense, Greens could end up doing extremely well. I know a lot of people have caught on to that since the last election. Many of us voted SNP/SNP in 2016 as that's what we did in 2011, but when you dig a bit deeper to see how it works, it's a little bit more complex.

Lots of ifs and buts however I still think SNP will get 65+ seats purely from the constituency numbers and the 2 or 3 list members they'll get. 

Edited by DAFC.

10 minutes ago, Pato said:

I'm so hipster that my constituency vote is tactical and my region vote is for who I actually want elected.

Lib Dem/Independent type post IMO.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Came down to the very last seat in the last Region - in North East the 7th and final seat was wrongly attributed , IIRC to the Tories, which would have left the election a tie between the SNP and Labour. It was quickly spotted and correctly attributed to the SNP, putting them over the line. I remember being in the car just getting home when it came on the radio and it must have been about 4pm.

It was actually H&I rather than the North East. Dave Thompson was the candidate that spotted the mistake and got himself elected for the SNP.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

In general I would just check here first and some polls nearer the time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Scottish_Parliament_election

In areas where SNP will easily win the constiituency vote there's no value in giving them a list vote as well, so better to go green.

It's a close run thing in Aberdeen South and North Kincardine. Ross Thomson territory.

I'll be snp/Green this time I think. First time I've given my list vote to a different mob than my constituency vote since the very first Scot Parl election when I chucked a crumb at Tommy Sheridan (I voted in the constituency for Labour 😳

Edit: South Lanarkshire. 

Edited by madwullie

29 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
36 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
We received our Electoral Commission Scottish Parliament voting guide in post today. Upon perusing same, realised that MrsFP is eligible to vote. emoji2962.png

Ensure she would vote for the gid guys before telling her this of course

When my missus was doing canvassing in 2014 a woman at one door said "I'm voting Yes but my husband is voting No... well, the thinks he's voting No but I've got his proxy."

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Lots of ifs and buts however I still think SNP will get 65+ seats purely from the constituency numbers and the 2 or 3 list members they'll get. 

Constituency polling is only national of course, and it increasingly doesn't apply uniformly. Since 2011 Labour have beaten the odds to hold on to East Lothian and Dumbarton because of personal votes for the incumbents (though Iain Grey's retirement bring East Lothian into play). I think the three opposition parties will keep more of their seats than polls might suggest, especially where the incumbent enjoys a high profile.

All Labour's seats fall to the SNP on a 1.5% swing and six Conservative seats fall on a 2.5% but I just don't see it happening, Alex Cole-Hamilton, on the other hand, I think will go despite being less vulnerable.

SNP/Green for me Clive. I'm registered to vote in Argyll & Bute so after a quick check it'll be Jenni "The Freshmaker" Minto for the constituency seat. I know Big Sexy Brendan O'Hara is fairly comfortably the Westminster MP so hopefully nice and straightforward for the constituency win there.

The list seats afaik fall under the Highlands and Islands so a little more tricky, think it encompasses the weird little Here Be Dragons enclaves that tend to hoover up Lib Dem votes, happy enough to go green tbh.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely