Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

Election season is now on us, starting this thread to track campaign stories, predictions, polls, Election night, new government forming etc etc

I do believe a SNP majority is possible, but I'd love to see some pact being made with Greens & the narrative of an Independence majority rather than an SNP majority being the norm!!

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Only the MSM state media can see the negative in a 4% pay increase to Scotland's brave NHS workers

While I think the pay increase is deserved, if you could stop it with this “heroes” patter, that’d be much appreciated.

Anyway, SNP/Green for me. Would be Green/Green but they aren’t standing in my constituency.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

While I think the pay increase is deserved, if you could stop it with this “heroes” patter, that’d be much appreciated.
Anyway, SNP/Green for me. Would be Green/Green but they aren’t standing in my constituency.
I would class people who initially were unvaccinated going in and treating people who are dying with a heavily contagious virus quite brave. I would also suggest that watching some of the sad scenes on a daily basis without taking it home with them quite a brave thing to do. Completely appreciate they are professional and that's their job...but they are human beings, working in very difficult circumstances.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would class people who initially were unvaccinated going in and treating people who are dying with a heavily contagious virus quite brave. I would also suggest that watching some of the sad scenes on a daily basis without taking it home with them quite a brave thing to do. Completely appreciate they are professional and that's their job...but they are human beings, working in very difficult circumstances.

I think it's because that heroes narrative is what partially allows for them to be underpaid in the first place. It's a job and people should be adequately compensated for it rather than being patronised or put on a pedestal. Not a criticism of yourself of course more how the Tories weaponised it.

I think it's because that heroes narrative is what partially allows for them to be underpaid in the first place. It's a job and people should be adequately compensated for it rather than being patronised or put on a pedestal. Not a criticism of yourself of course more how the Tories weaponised it.
Fair point

Just now, GordonS said:

Greens are polling at about 8%, but on here they seem to be over 50%. Either the polls are missing something or we're not exactly the most representative bunch. 

We're obviously not. Independence polls at like 98% here and this is also a politics subforum which the majority of the forum never look at never mind the general population.

That said clearly P&B should be the preferred pollster going into May.

We're obviously not. Independence polls at like 98% here and this is also a politics subforum which the majority of the forum never look at never mind the general population.
That said clearly P&B should be the preferred pollster going into May.
Only people who post on the P&B politics forum should be allowed to vote imo

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Greens are polling at about 8%, but on here they seem to be over 50%. Either the polls are missing something or we're not exactly the most representative bunch. 

I think those that choose to post regularly on a politics sub-forum are probably a bit self-selecting in that they'll take an interest in politics above the average and probably have a better understanding of the voting system, etc than average as well. I think a fair number of SNP voters would go Green second if they understood exactly how much more effective that would be in delivering a pro-independence majority parliament.

30 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I was going to go SNP/Green but the greens here seem to have no chance and Labour seem to do well, so it'll be SNP/SNP

Eh?  All of the polling shows that there's essentially no chance of the SNP winning a Glasgow list seat while showing that the Greens will definitely get one and possibly two Glasgow list seats.  They have a far far far better chance on the list there than the SNP do.