World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

Norn Iron losing 1-0 in Geneva (75 mins) . Down to 10 men on 38 mins Jamal Lewis 2nd yellow, incredibly for wasting time on a throw in. What an absolute joke!!
Gifted the Swiss the lead, just before the break though with a marginal offside decision going against Ian Baraclough’s men.

ETA; finished 2-0 to Switzerland, hope the Slovenian Ref Slavko Vinci’s, enjoys whatever’s stuffed in the brown envelope he’ll pick up before heading home. Never seen such a blatantly biased performance from a match official. Very disappointing.

13 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

England are fucking dreadful to watch. Really boring pish.

They’re so slow and play with zero tempo. They got to the final of the Euros scoring the exact same goal - a ball to the overlapping right back and a cut back to Kane or Sterling.

Just catching up on highlights of yesterday’s games, and the Northern Irish boy being sent off for time wasting is sensational patter from the referee.

The ball was out for a total of 17 seconds, We’ve all seen keepers take longer than that, restarting play from a goal kick or how about Coaches\Managers introducing substitutions on 90+ minutes.
Did the ref really think that Lewis was trying to run the clock down on 37 minutes with the game sitting at 0-0!?

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

The ball was out for a total of 17 seconds, We’ve all seen keepers take longer than that, restarting play from a goal kick or how about Coaches\Managers introducing substitutions on 90+ minutes.
Did the ref really think that Lewis was trying to run the clock down on 37 minutes with the game sitting at 0-0!?

I don’t really mind why he gave the yellow or if it was correct, I just found it really, really funny.

I don’t think that Northern Ireland can blame the referee for the loss given that they made a conscious decision to employ Ian Baraclough as their manager. 

Two points dropped for Canada, 0-0 away to Jamaica. USA losing 1-0 in Panama makes Canada's result even worse imo. Chaotic scenes near the end of the Panama game with a few pitch invasions and various balls being kicked on to the pitch by what looked like Panama subbies.

Another stunning result from the "amongst the favourites in Qatar" USMNT tonight as they managed to escape from the mighty Panama with just a single goal defeat. Not surprising given that more than half the team came from "one of the most skilful, entertaining leagues there is" - they might even have managed a draw if only they weren't having to carry 5 guys from the big European leagues.

6 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Two points dropped for Canada, 0-0 away to Jamaica. USA losing 1-0 in Panama makes Canada's result even worse imo. Chaotic scenes near the end of the Panama game with a few pitch invasions and various balls being kicked on to the pitch by what looked like Panama subbies.

Jamaica played tough and the awful pitch really limited out ability to play our free flowing game.  We were probably good enough to Nick a 1-0 win but Jamaica played well.  

The game on Wednesday against Panama is massive now

6 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Jamaica played tough and the awful pitch really limited out ability to play our free flowing game.  We were probably good enough to Nick a 1-0 win but Jamaica played well.  

The game on Wednesday against Panama is massive now

Where's it at? (I suppose I could find this out for myself!)

ETA: As you were - you're at home.

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Another stunning result from the "amongst the favourites in Qatar" USMNT tonight as they managed to escape from the mighty Panama with just a single goal defeat. Not surprising given that more than half the team came from "one of the most skilful, entertaining leagues there is" - they might even have managed a draw if only they weren't having to carry 5 guys from the big European leagues.

You were a prefect at school weren't you? I could just tell.

On 10/10/2021 at 16:05, Clockwork said:

Yes, and I don’t think it’s that far-fetched to assume that the boy was time-wasting . When there’s a gulf in class such as between Switzerland and Northern Ireland, the weaker team quite often begins their time-wasting as soon as the match begins.

Edited by Nightmare

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Yes, and I don’t think it’s that far-fetched to assume that the boy was time-wasting . When there’s a gulf in class such as between Switzerland and Northern Ireland, the weaker team quite often begins their time-wasting as soon as the match begins.

You're right. In the clip I saw the commentator said they'd been warned about time wasting prior to this. It obviously wasn't just a random 'I fancy booking someone.' from the ref but obviously that doesn't make such a good story.

A gulf in class, hmmm? [emoji848]
Even with the award of a really soft penalty (missed), the spoils were shared in Belfast in September. A deja vu moment in itself as Northern Ireland were controversially beaten in a 2017 play-off by the Swiss with an outrageous penalty decision resulting in a solitary goal defeat over two legs.
Gifted the lead the lead on Saturday night, and held for over 50 minutes by 10 men until they squeezed a late 2nd. They’ve hardly steamrolled the Northern Irish in recent contests.

I've been watching Slovenia v Russia and the first half has been excellent. 2-1 Russia with 3 really good goals. The Slovenian goal to get them back in the game was especially well worked. It's a must win for Slovenia so looking forward to the second half. 

12 hours ago, Clockwork said:

A gulf in class, hmmm? emoji848.png
Even with the award of a really soft penalty (missed), the spoils were shared in Belfast in September. A deja vu moment in itself as Northern Ireland were controversially beaten in a 2017 play-off by the Swiss with an outrageous penalty decision resulting in a solitary goal defeat over two legs.
Gifted the lead the lead on Saturday night, and held for over 50 minutes by 10 men until they squeezed a late 2nd. They’ve hardly steamrolled the Northern Irish in recent contests.

Switzerland have played in as many international final tournaments in the last seven years as The Failed Statelet have done in their entire history.

So yes, a gulf in class.