World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

El Salvador v US ended 0-0.

Poor and really devoid of any quality. A game of misplaced passes, niggly fouls and every second touch being a tackle.

It had a cold night in Stoke vibe about it. I imagine the US will be content with a point.

Hopefully we can get a result against them on Sunday.  We really should have beaten those diving Honduran p***ks last night, we dominated most of the second half but finishing was not brilliant.  If we can get a result Sunday and then beat El Salvador in Toronto Wednesday we will be in very good shape.

17 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Never thought I'd say this but I'm delighted England pumped that lot.

For me it's a case of a team supported by a load of racists humped by another team supported by a load of racists.

Funny seeing the English media and our very own prime minister take the moral high ground when they have been racist bigots as well. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That's 1 win in 15 for Stephen Kenny. A win percentage of *drumroll*

6.67%

Against Andorra no less.

… in a friendly.

… after they trailed them 1-0.

On a non-football note, Kenny looks like he still cuts his own hair post-lockdown.

You'd expect any self-respecting football nation to be turning the stadium into a toxic cesspit of seethe after that. It came across like mostly applause and a handful of boos at the final whistle. At least they have their weird sports that no other country plays.

On 02/09/2021 at 18:58, BFTD said:

That seems like a massive shock. Have Oman improved recently?

Oddly enough I watched the second half of this one. Japan were really, really bad, they looked rusty and the strangest thing was that they lacked intensity, which is normally a strength for them. Oman set out to frustrate them and hit on the counter attack, and they didn't even need to do it all that well.

Japan should be good enough to qualify comfortably, but they've lost a bit of margin for error and they'll need to be better than that. They face China in Doha on Tuesday, with the game moved from China due to Covid restrictions.

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

How have Ireland collapsed so dramatically?

They have an absolute diddy for a manager, basically.

Fron the punditry yesterday, they seem to be playing well against decent teams, but ultimately losing, and then following that up with a disgraceful performance against shite teams and also losing.

And there’s a real lack of goals in the squad. It makes ours look prolific. Top scorer is James McClean with 11, then Shane Duffy has 5. Their forwards have 62 caps between them, and have managed 5 goals. James Forrest has that many international goals.

I remember a few comments back at the start of qualifying along the lines of, "who are these people in the Ireland squad?"

Doesn't necessarily mean much other than P&B doesn't know a lot about Irish football, but they're probably just cycling back to the days when they were one of Europe's genuine diddies, with poorer players than in the past few decades. And, likely, having a shite manager.