World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The player played in games against Chile but not against Peru so if all the games had been awarded as defeats to Ecuador then Chile would have finished 4th, Peru would still have been 5th and Ecuador would have been out of it.

Chile ended up missing out on the play-offs for last World Cup after Peru were awarded a win over Bolivia because the latter fielded an ineligible player, so you can definitely understand them pursuing this all the way.

Interesting, I'd missed that aspect of it - I just saw he'd played something like eight matches during the campaign.

It does seem like there's a fair amount of birth certificate and passport chicanery in South America.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

They have a load of $$$$$$$$$$$ though, which is all that matters apparently.

And an oppressive regime, don't forget. FIFA loves that.

England won't be getting another World Cup until they go full fash, I fear.

Australia on top throughout, I fear. Have Peru had a genuine scoring chance?

We'd probably still lose 3-0 to either of them and wonder how it happened.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Australia on top throughout, I fear. Have Peru had a genuine scoring chance?

We'd probably still lose 3-0 to either of them and wonder how it happened.

I don't think Peru have even had a shot on target.

Granted, I have only been half paying attention to it. I got bored during the second half.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Qatar have been a game away from the World Cup before. They finished 3rd in the Asian qualifiers for 1990 but only the top two went through.

I forgot about that - the UAE making it through the final group with a single win  :lol:

Watching Denmark v Austria on TV and the Aus v Peru online.  Looks like, unless France get their game together for the WC, Denmark will have a major say for the top of their group and maybe beyond.  The english papers had Them meeting France on the way to the final, where they naturally won of course and German family gongs/tawdry tokens were handed out to one and all  🤣