World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

I thought seedings for play-off winners that still have to qualify would be going by the highest ranking of the countries involved, meaning that for Wales/Ukraine/Scotland the Welsh ranking counts as they are the highest of these 3. But going by the above, that's not the case as otherwise the winner of that PO would be pot 3. If the above is correct, it seems a bit unfair that Portugal & Poland are seeded based on their ranking and the winners of the 3 remaining POs bottom by default...

Yeah. They should either rank all the playoff winners in pot four or rank by highest seeded potential qualifier.

If Ukraine were due to play Italy or Portugal I find it unlikely they'd have said the winner of that playoff path has to be in pot four.

Canada were beaten so they’ll be in pot 4. Tunisia in pot 3. Costa Rica did beat USA 2-0, but not nearly enough to overturn the goal difference deficit. So Canada, USA and Mexico are your CONCACAF qualifiers, with Costa Rica to play New Zealand in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

USA scraping qualification on goal difference this time around, I genuinely think they'd only have qualified for about 2 World Cups in my lifetime if they didn't have the easiest path to the tournament.

Which will get much easier from 2026 onwards. We need Balkanisation of Mexico to find some teams to finish above them. Mon the Chihuahas.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Which will get much easier from 2026 onwards. We need Balkanisation of Mexico to find some teams to finish above them. Mon the Chihuahas.

Yep, 6 CONCACAF positions up for grabs for WC26 and I’m assuming going forwards after that. Mexico and the States could field a youth team and still qualify with ease.

Asia with 8 guaranteed slots is going to see some utter shite get in as well.